why are people doing this?!

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok i have come across now on several occastions where people are breeding B. albopilsum(curly hair) with B. vegans(red rump) and im wondering why? bordum? also i know its a hybrid but how do you classify this kind of happening and what would or is its name be? i mean the only explenation for this i have is charactoristic traits from both sp. that people want in one T, or am i wrong? and is this a far more common thing that is becoming because i have just recently noticed peole doing this, at least with these 2 sp. in particular.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Run a search on it; there's plenty of info out there without getting into another discussion about the 'H' word.

Also, they are spelled albopilosum and vagans.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah sorry about the spelling. but i did run a search about these two sp. and nothing came up....:?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
yeah sorry about the spelling. but i did run a search about these two sp. and nothing came up....:?
I think people try breeding the two together for various reasons. Boredom could very well be one of them. I think those two are relatively simple to breed together when compared to other crossbreeding attempts.

I personally believe it confuses the crap out of the hobby and isn't worth doing for any reason. But that's my personal opinion. ;P

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah for sure, im against cross breeds but i have noticed it becoming more of a problem now days....like my buddy said when i asked him about this "wel in the 70s that wasnt a problem but people accepting the fact you own spiders as pets was and still is...." and sorry about the spelling i just got a new keyboad for my ps3 that attaches too the controler and im still learning....so far the buttons are small (computer broke so i resorted to using the ps3)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hmm my albovagans are kinda cute.
A really bad picture but you get the idea. I should get some current ones.

squinn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't have an opinion about hybrids on T's yet. However this whole debate has raged for years with snakes and I definately do enjoy hybrids in that capacity. The market is driven by the new and unusual a fact that just has to be accepted otherwise people wouldn't be paying tens of thousands of dollars (or more) for new ball python morphs. I have many fabulous looking hybrid snakes in my collection and greatly enjoy them, however you are right in the sense that hybrids if misidentified can water down a pure genetic pool, but so does mixing localities where the same species has begun to seperately evolve due to habitat fragmentation or just plain distance. Seems most of the old school herpers are the ones that really get upset at hybrids seems the younger guys and gals are much more accepting of hybrids. I fully believe in the case of endangered species steps should be taken to ensure assurance colonies are kept pure otherwise captive animals are not ever intended to be released into the wild so a bit of playing God with their genetics shouldn't matter terribly much..........I have a feeling there will be no lack of strong opinions on this one lol.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's an experiment, valuable if the end result is very different from the parent sp. An hybrid looking like absolutely nothing else would be worth the trouble, but if it looks too much like an existing sp, then there is the risk of mislabeling it and breed it later as pure breed, which is the exact problem we try to avoid.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those guys are getting big, Ryan. I have to say though, I see nothing about that particular cross that would make me want one. They're just another dull-looking tarantula, in my opinion. ;)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those guys are getting big, Ryan. I have to say though, I see nothing about that particular cross that would make me want one. They're just another dull-looking tarantula, in my opinion. ;)
I did not do it to make anyone want one so I am glad you don't want one. :)

samsbugs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Personally I think most of them are quite cool and I have a few myself. I have crossed them to find a new look, mostly they look like the parents with a color difference, nothing to exiting, but kinda cool.

Doing it for personal reasons is not going to hurt anything, see what you come up with and keep them for your personal enjoyment.
Getting them in the hands of anyone that wants one may cause lots of problems. Althoug it's probably been done so often most of us would never know if we had one, and are hybridising without knowledge.
Lots of mixed opinions on this topic.

arman

Arachnopeon
In my country Brachypelma albogans(this is how we call it)is a big issue.Almost nobody wants to get baby albopilosum or vagans.The albopolosum-couse most of the people says that there is no B.albopilosum in my country at all,and B.vagans-couse the chance to get albogans or albovagans,or whatever you call it,is higher than to get a vagans.The beginners are not interested about the spieces,but about the size(there is no petshop selling t's here)and when they see an offer let's say subadult"albopilosum" for the same prize as b.smithi sling for example,they just go for it.There are lots of people breeding and selling this kind of hibrid here:(I have two of them,still too small to say,but i am like 95% sure they are not B.albopilosum:(

Last edited:

Franklin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
just like the Venezuelan sun tiger cross breed with a trinidad chevron you have?

the curly x vagans are mules and are infertile, so you cant breed them and "mess up the worlds curlies and red rumps" but if you can breed ANY dogs i dont see why not T's. . .

some hybrids can breed i think

JungleCage

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
just like the Venezuelan sun tiger cross breed with a trinidad chevron you have?

the curly x vagans are mules and are infertile, so you cant breed them and "mess up the worlds curlies and red rumps" but if you can breed ANY dogs i dont see why not T's. . .

some hybrids can breed i think
dogs are all the same sp.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
the curly x vagans are mules and are infertile, so you cant breed them and "mess up the worlds curlies and red rumps"
Where is your information backing this statement up?:?
I see no reason at all that will prevent them from breeding in the future.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In my country Brachypelma albogans(this is how we call it)is a big issue.Almost nobody wants to get baby albopilosum or vagans.The albopolosum-couse most of the people says that there is no B.albopilosum in my country at all,and B.vagans-couse the chance to get albogans or albovagans,or whatever you call it,is higher that to get a vagans.The beginners are not interested about the spieces,but about the size(there is no petshop selling t's here)and when they see an offer let's say subadult"albopilosum" for the same prize as b.smithi sling for example,they just go for it.There are lots of people breeding and selling this kind of hibrid here:(I have two of them,still too small to say,but i am like 95% sure they are not B.albopilosum:(
This scares me!

If Ryan told me those were little vagans, or maybe angustum or something...I'd totally buy it. You can't tell when they are slings. Its hard to follow his reasoning but when people are not sure of the indentity then no one is going to want them. Hybrid people want something distinctive and new(albovagans and other T hybrids really are not), and well, the rest of us want the T's as they looked originally. You see this alot with fish also.

And FTR I am a younger member of the hobby.