Why are Brachypelma Vagans so cheap?

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think they are gorgeous I like the velvety black tarantulas though. But yeah like everyone said...Supply and demand.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Many stunning tarantulas are cheap. H. macs are dirt cheap. Even sexed females..............
Is there a catch with H. macs? Do they hide too much? To me, H. macs are as pretty as Pokies, but don't appear to be as popular.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Is there a catch with H. macs? Do they hide too much? To me, H. macs are as pretty as Pokies, but don't appear to be as popular.
I see my lass out as much as my pokies. Plus she's webbed her entire enclosure so even if she's in her hide it looks smart.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I remember the same seller gave me an OBT, a small pumpkin patch and the red rump in my avatar as freebie slings. All three turned out to be male lol. I sold the pumpkin when he matured, the OBT passed on after he matured and spent a year of wondering. The B vagans has awhile until he matures.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I really like them. I have two, although I have never purchased one, that indicates they are VERY cheap.

cold blood

Staff member
I dont know what these guys are talking about....Ive raised a dozen H. macs..
.they are BY FAR the most reclusive, photosensitive, schizophrenic t i have ever seen, hands down, not even close.

But they do have a cult following and are about as easy to breed as rabbits...so theyre bred a ton consistently and constantly, so the market is always flooded.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
If you manage to get a good one - jet black and deep red - they are stunning.
Yeah, I’ve heard their coloring can vary quite a bit but the jet black with vivid red hairs is stunning! I just traded for a bunch of slings and hope they turn out as beautiful as the sub-adult B. vagans they had! :D

.they are BY FAR the most reclusive, photosensitive, schizophrenic t i have ever seen, hands down, not even close.

But they do have a cult following and are about as easy to breed as rabbits...so theyre bred a ton consistently and constantly, so the market is always flooded.
Agreed! H. maculata are gorgeous but I only ever catch glimpses of mine before they flee the evil light, lol. :vamp: Only time I saw an H. maculata out regularly was when I had an MM — he was willing to brave any amount of watts to find a lady! :rofl:

I see my lass out as much as my pokies. Plus she's webbed her entire enclosure so even if she's in her hide it looks smart.
My girl's nowhere near as reclusive as I was lead to believe they are.

You guys are so lucky! Could it be you have a blind morph? :troll:

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod

I think I see my lass a fair bit due to her enclosure. She's thoroughly webbed it up. Now seeing her out and managing to get a pic of her out are 2 different things. I usually grab pics when I feed her.

Her enclosure.

The lass herself.

cold blood

Staff member
I think I see my lass a fair bit due to her enclosure. She's thoroughly webbed it up. Now seeing her out and managing to get a pic of her out are 2 different things. I usually grab pics when I feed her.

Her enclosure.

The lass herself.

no doubt an adult female is a beautiful spider indeed....good shot! Did you use ghost hunting technology to get the pic? :smug:

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Definitely supply and demand...take advantage of it and get at least 3-5, you won't regret it! Awesome species.

Inktomi2

Arachnopeon
I've both an H. mac and B. vagans. Both are beautiful in their own right. Neither of them like pictures or me for that matter.

Phia

Arachnopeon
I love B. vagans and H. mac! My H. mac gets the most Ooh Aah of any T on my display wall lol! She’s a looker!

I have three B. vagans (two were freebies) my favorite thing about them is their fighting spirit lol. They’re hard hitters when it’s time to eat! I’m glad they’re cheap as I generally recommend them for beginner t

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Some of my favorite t's are cheap. Psalmopoeus and Phormictopus are my favorites and they tend to be on the cheaper end of the spectrum

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
They don't look as good as G. iheringi but still much better than an LP in my opinion.

Say WHAAT? I know you didnt just say that. Maybe mine is just a looker
They don't look as good as G. iheringi but still much better than an LP in my opinion.

You should see the black in person, its JETT BLACK. Gorgeous spider.. a feeding response that no one else can match besides A geniculata
20200823_224705.jpg