Why are baboon tarantulas called baboons?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
<sarcasm>
I always thought it was because of their excessively large bottoms and tendency to throw poo.
</sarcasm>

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
I'd never even given it thought. I just figured it had something to do with Africa and ther proximity to baboons and people who are familiar with them. Nice to kind of sort of have an answer.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does anybody know?
Many years ago, whilst in the wilds of Africa, a famous biologist observed the apparent adoption of a cuddly baby baboon by a strikingly beautiful orange tarantula. The biologist watched the tarantula as it professed its love to the baby baboon and proceeded to massage it tenderly with its pedipalps. As baby monkeys sometimes will, the baboon began to act naughty, whereupon the tarantula sank its fangs into its vulnerable, infant flesh. The biologist watched in horrified fascination as the baby baboon writhed in agony, finally succumbed to the terrible pain of the tarantula's venom, and slowly morphed into a gigantic, smelly food bolus. The biologist named the newly described species P. murinus, and thus, the terrible legacy of the baboon spider was born. Now a staple in the hobby, baboon spiders can present problems to would-be keepers in that they possess seemingly incompatible traits...the strong maternal urge to adopt baby monkeys, and a really, really crappy temper.

I know that sounds unpleasant, but it's science.

On second thought, there might be some more credible explanations earlier in the thread ;)

Last edited:

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Same as Shrike, That's pretty much the same story I was told, when asked about the baboon story (how the name came about), basicly they are an unforgiving species that will pray among many animals that came thair way, sometimes friendly to get a meal other times stalking for pray, Dont know for sure.

macbaffo

Arachnolord
Many years ago, whilst in the wilds of Africa, a famous biologist observed the apparent adoption of a cuddly baby baboon by a strikingly beautiful orange tarantula. The biologist watched the tarantula as it professed its love to the baby baboon and proceeded to massage it lovingly with its pedipalps. As baby monkeys sometimes will, the baboon began to act naughty, whereupon the tarantula sank its fangs into its tender flesh. The biologist watched in horrified fascination as the baby baboon writhed in agony, finally succumbed to the agonizing pain of the tarantula's venom, and slowly morphed into a gigantic, smelly food bolus. The biologist named the newly described species P. murinus, and thus, the terrible legacy of the baboon spider was born. Now a staple in the hobby, baboon spiders can present problems to would-be keepers in that they possess seemingly incompatible traits...the strong maternal urge to adopt baby monkeys, and a really, really crappy temper.

On second thought, there might be some more credible explanations earlier in the thread ;)
Definitely i will stick with this explanation :D

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
If there were a butt-faced baboon tarantula I would have nothing in my collection but that.

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Many years ago, whilst in the wilds of Africa, a famous biologist observed the apparent adoption of a cuddly baby baboon by a strikingly beautiful orange tarantula. The biologist watched the tarantula as it professed its love to the baby baboon and proceeded to massage it tenderly with its pedipalps. As baby monkeys sometimes will, the baboon began to act naughty, whereupon the tarantula sank its fangs into its vulnerable, infant flesh. The biologist watched in horrified fascination as the baby baboon writhed in agony, finally succumbed to the terrible pain of the tarantula's venom, and slowly morphed into a gigantic, smelly food bolus. The biologist named the newly described species P. murinus, and thus, the terrible legacy of the baboon spider was born. Now a staple in the hobby, baboon spiders can present problems to would-be keepers in that they possess seemingly incompatible traits...the strong maternal urge to adopt baby monkeys, and a really, really crappy temper.

I like it a lot