Why are A. versicolors so expensive?

Robotponys

Arachnoknight
Interesting to see how prices differ Stateside... A 20mm/ 1 inch Avic. versicolor sling in the UK (my nearest port of call for slings) will cost £8 GBP (apx $12.50 USD)from a breeder. I paid €15 Euro (apx $20 USD) to a Polish supplier for an L3 Avic. versicolor.
Wow! That is so awesome.

The prices will come down eventually here. I can't wait for that... :D i'm enjoying reading this thread. This is my first (successful) thread! The dirt got taken down for reasons i don't want to share :p (not super bad).

I confused myself...forgot I poste before lol.

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
Why will the prices fluctuate after the reclassification (that's not due til 2013 I believe)? It's still be the same tarantula, just called something different.
When A.fasciculata was reclassified as diversipes prices fluctuated a bit. Slings where $65 and after the reclassification they shot up to almost $75 due to the increased demand. Now that things have calmed down, so have prices. Im assuming since all three will be getting unique genuses to themselves, the demand will increase as well.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I really don't see demand of A. versicolor going up simply due to a name change. It's still the same spider, with the same availability and the same frequency in captive breeding.

stewstew8282

Arachnoknight
I would sell u a versi sling for a years supply of good chinese food and pizza, moved from the village to las vegas. I miss me some nyc food :-(

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just picked up an A. versicolor 1.25 inch for 25 bucks at the show in Atlanta a few weeks ago.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my experience, Avics dont have 1000+ eggs in the sac (180 to 60 is much is I know. Might be a little more or less but its rare)and also pretty fragile to keep as spiderlings. I usually loose 25 to 30% but I hope Am getting a little better.
sometime they just die even when older for who know whatever reason that can be.
so if lets say dealer purchase them for X amount of money, he needs to set the price not to loose his shorts on those fragile little ones, plus time consuming of raising them.

Just my 2 cents

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I pay 10 to 12 EUR per sling here in Germany. :) There are others that are more expensive. My E. pulcherimaklaasi for example comes at 30 EUR because its kinda rare in the hobby.

mark e sic

Arachnosquire
If you think Versis are pricey try looking for A.minatrix or A.purpurea!! way more expensive and harder to find!! specially as slings!

Ohh and what is this about a reclassification?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Yep to Anastasia. Even with obsessive care of a sac & after separation there is loss. I suspect that's true of other genera, as well. 'Tis part of the risk of buying slings. When they've grown a bit, those losses diminish but still happen on occasion. Older, more established spiders are also more expensive. Risk and reward, baby;)

The drop in price for diversipes was due to maturation of previously purchased slings, grown up Euro imports & multiple sacs being produced in a short time by different people. Ditto on the formerly $10 versicolor slings. It's a lot of work taking care of a ton of slings and when a market is flooded, prices drop so slings can be unloaded faster.

Robotponys

Arachnoknight
I would sell u a versi sling for a years supply of good chinese food and pizza, moved from the village to las vegas. I miss me some nyc food :-(
Lol! Too easy! :p Shipping a few lbs would be expensive though lol. :p

I just picked up an A. versicolor 1.25 inch for 25 bucks at the show in Atlanta a few weeks ago.
Ugh! Someone on here is selling a 1.5" for $15, but I've decided to wait on getting one.

In my experience, Avics dont have 1000+ eggs in the sac (180 to 60 is much is I know. Might be a little more or less but its rare)and also pretty fragile to keep as spiderlings. I usually loose 25 to 30% but I hope Am getting a little better.
sometime they just die even when older for who know whatever reason that can be.
so if lets say dealer purchase them for X amount of money, he needs to set the price not to loose his shorts on those fragile little ones, plus time consuming of raising them.

Just my 2 cents
Interesting. :)

I pay 10 to 12 EUR per sling here in Germany. :) There are others that are more expensive. My E. pulcherimaklaasi for example comes at 30 EUR because its kinda rare in the hobby.
Nice! :)

If you think Versis are pricey try looking for A.minatrix or A.purpurea!! way more expensive and harder to find!! specially as slings!

Ohh and what is this about a reclassification?
Lol! Ive seen the prices on minatrix! :eek:

Yep to Anastasia. Even with obsessive care of a sac & after separation there is loss. I suspect that's true of other genera, as well. 'Tis part of the risk of buying slings. When they've grown a bit, those losses diminish but still happen on occasion. Older, more established spiders are also more expensive. Risk and reward, baby;)

The drop in price for diversipes was due to maturation of previously purchased slings, grown up Euro imports & multiple sacs being produced in a short time by different people. Ditto on the formerly $10 versicolor slings. It's a lot of work taking care of a ton of slings and when a market is flooded, prices drop so slings can be unloaded faster.
True.