Who's a good spider?

Sinned

Arachnosquire
When rehousing my new Phormictopus slings one of them tried tackling my paintbrush...

:eek: Are you food!:mask:

Made me smile afterwards, I wanted spirited... well they are!

(But at the time itself my daughter might of learned a few new words, that might involve me getting invited to some parent-teacher meetings about language. :shifty: )

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
My LP has been cracking me up lately.

For the past few days he's being doing some work on his enclosure. He's been excavating under his water dish, but he can't seem to decide on where to put the extra soil. He'll dig up a ball of substrate from under his dish, walk it across the enclosure, tamp it down, then walk over to another corner, walk back, grab the ball of substrate and take it to that corner, tamp it down, pause, pick it back up, and take it back where he had it originally. :rofl: It's like he's trying really hard to keep the substrate as level as possible in his enclosure. He also brushes off the exposed rim of his terra-cotta hide whenever he (I assume, accidentally) leaves substrate dusted on it from walking back and forth over it. I haven't seen him inside the hide once since I put him in that enclosure, he just puts his trash in it.

He also keeps "fanging" the vent holes, which makes me nervous considering the reports I've read about T's snapping their fangs on their enclosures, but spider's gonna spider, I'll just have to keep an eye on him.

Oh! And my B. vagans sling has started hanging out in the open! Yay!

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
My new little versi sling ate a live mealworm as long as its DLS, and stuck its legs up in the air while nomming on it. So cute and kinda metal :p I already shared one photo but I’m just so proud.
EE47F5CC-2EA0-440A-A6BC-5305ADB29519.jpeg

Thekla

Arachnoprince
"Hey, I'm really trying here, but yoga is so much harder than it looks..."

yoga.jpg

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
My 1/4” A. moderatum sling finally ditched the molt that had been trailing from his abdomen and cramping his style for the last ten days. I think his abdomen got plump enough to push the molt off, if that’s a thing. Anyway he’s a little chub now and back to his skittish self! :p

lvc

Arachnopeon
My B.emilia became a little bulldozer last night. She was putting a lot of substrate from inside her hide to the outside and closed off about half of the entrance. Maybe her first moult in my care is due in the upcoming weeks/months or maybe she was just in the mood for some redecoration. Really excited what will happen next.

Villagecreep

Arachnosquire
My LP has been cracking me up lately.

For the past few days he's being doing some work on his enclosure. He's been excavating under his water dish, but he can't seem to decide on where to put the extra soil. He'll dig up a ball of substrate from under his dish, walk it across the enclosure, tamp it down, then walk over to another corner, walk back, grab the ball of substrate and take it to that corner, tamp it down, pause, pick it back up, and take it back where he had it originally. :rofl: It's like he's trying really hard to keep the substrate as level as possible in his enclosure. He also brushes off the exposed rim of his terra-cotta hide whenever he (I assume, accidentally) leaves substrate dusted on it from walking back and forth over it. I haven't seen him inside the hide once since I put him in that enclosure, he just puts his trash in it.

He also keeps "fanging" the vent holes, which makes me nervous considering the reports I've read about T's snapping their fangs on their enclosures, but spider's gonna spider, I'll just have to keep an eye on him.

Oh! And my B. vagans sling has started hanging out in the open! Yay!
That's adorable! I've had a jumping spider try to bring me a fly, and once had a female jumping spider just sprawl out on my hand and let me pet her. Nothing else is as magical as these things when they happen! :)

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
I dropped some pre-killed mealworm in my G. pulchra sling’s enclosure and could see that he was awaiting further vibrations from that dead worm, so I dripped a little water next to it. He darted toward the water, discovered the mealworm and pounced on it voraciously, then did the best happy dance I’ve seen so far. :rofl:

9A5005D3-1BAF-450D-A25C-0D0169C4D62C.jpeg

Today we played chase the water droplets, and he was so interested, I felt bad for not feeding him. Such a good sling. :embarrassed:

Hope I’m not spamming the thread..:p

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I wouldn't exactly call this good spider behavior, but it was amusing :rolleyes:

My LP juvi had filled it's water dish with sub, again, so of course I had to clean it out. He's been increasingly skittish lately, so I figured I'd distract him with a meal and while he was sedately munching, I could change out the water dish in peace.

So, I dropped a small superworm in front of him. He grabbed it up, and then proceeded to dart in random directions around the enclosure with the worm in his mouth. Well, that was unexpected. :rofl: So, I put the lid back on his enclosure, put him to the side, and tend to some other spiders until he settles somewhere to eat his meal. A few minutes later, he has settled down. In the water dish. So, I poked through a vent hole near the dish and shook it a little till he got out of it. I decided to just put a catch cup over him so I could replace the dish in peace. That worked well, until I tried picking the cup back up when I was done. He decided he quite liked the cup, and clung to the sides. Monkey. :rolleyes:

Oh, and my Other had a friend over when I got home from work the other day, they both wanted to see my new big stirmi feed. I gave it a MM dubia, and it made a very audible crunch. I just stood there like a proud mamma while the two boys had their faces pressed up to the enclosure taking pictures :D I love it when other people enjoy my spiders.

Mushroom

Arachnopeon
Who's a good spider? I will tell you who's a good spider. My C.versi sling (Maya) is a good spider.
A good spider she is.
And a well-mannered one. She's teaching my A. geniculata how to behave properly. While the latter poops everywhere, bolts for food, leaves remains of food everywhere, Maya is a high-shelf princess (both literally and figuratively as her nest is located on the top of the enclosure). I still love my A. genic dork! But Maya surprised me a couple of times.
- every time I open her enclosure to feed her, she comes out of her web to say hi and to ease the process of feeding!
- she's always throwing away the food remains into a very specific corner of the enclosure!
- she poops into a toilet. No kidding. My girl has learnt, that the water for drinking is always on her web. She also has a water bowl... but follwing her logic: "if I haz waters on web for drinks, then that bucket over there is some lavatories for poops". Well, that makes sense.

I won't be surprised if one day she asks me for cutlery...

Thekla

Arachnoprince
My C. versicolor sling showed me a new feeding technique today. :kiss:

Earlier I put a half-dead mealworm on top of her cork bark. First, she (just hoping) didn't find/get it. And when I looked a couple of hours later... the mealworm was still where I left it, but I couldn't find my little sling. :wideyed: But then I spied some tiny blue legs peeking out from behind the cork bark and trying to feel what was up there. Now, she is slurping the mealworm dry from underneath while hanging at the backside of the cork bark. :wacky: So very cute!

weird feeding.jpg

Last edited:

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I rehoused two juvie A. seemannis today, they were so compliant as I herded them into their new tanks. I love Aphonopelmas, so easy to work with.

Christoph27

Arachnopeon
My pokie came up today and hung out on the lid of it's enclosure. Molted two days ago, first time ive seen it and i felt like a kid with his own candy store. 2018-05-21_15.43.15.jpg

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Mr Blue Berry (C. versicolor) tried hard to be a good spider, but there're some deductions in the performance... :wacky::rofl:

Here's what happened: Mr Blue Berry moulted a few days ago in the back of his/her enclosure. Trying to be a good spider (s)he brought the moult to the front door, so I could take it out. That's really lovely and considerate so far, don't you think? :) Unfortunately, (s)he lost a few legs (of the moult) along the way - and by "few" I mean most of them - so now there're scattered legs (and a carapace) all over his/her webbing. :rolleyes::rofl:

legs.jpg