Who's a good spider?

Mushroom

Arachnopeon
Many years ago, I decided to feed my B. albopilosum sling a cricket. The brave boi made his burrow under a walnut.
So... I dropped a very tiny cricket. The first thing cricked did was running under a walnut.
1s ... nothing
5s ... nothing
15s... spider bolted away from the burrow like crazy.
The cricket poked its head from under his new burrow and started vibrating/buzzing/wobbling (they apparently do it to fend off any predators).

The poor and homeless fluffy boi was trying to gently approach the walnut and was kindly asking the new landlord to let him in. But the cricket was relentless. Again, it poked its head out and started buzzing. And again, the spider bolted away in panic.

This had repeated 4 times until I finally showed some mercy and rehoused the cricket.
The B. albo was rewarded with a tiny mealworm, although it was suspicious at first (honestly, I was laughing so hard I would hug the spider if it wasn't microscopic). Cause you know... you can never trust these bugs. They come into your house and kick you out :D :D :D

Last edited:

lvc

Arachnopeon
Just saw my actual first takedown of a cricket right now. My B.emilia has been eating, but I never caught the actual takedown until now. She was sitting at the entrance of her hide, put in a cricket and like 3 seconds later - GRAB! Absolutely awesome to see her in action. :smug:

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
One of my Hapalopus sp small slings likes to play with his food. Every time I've fed it (prekilled superworms that are admittedly kinda big for it), it climbs under the food to eat it upside down. It makes me laugh because it's like he's pretending the superworm is eating him when I know the worm is dead and he's not even in the slightest bit of danger
i felt the biggest sense of joy when i dropped a cricket with a crushed head in my brachypelma abopilosums enclosure and i watched it slowly crawl out of its burrow and pull it in. i also became super happy when my Hadrurus arizonensis carried a cricket with a crushed head into its hide. and seeing my paraphidippus aurantius just kinda grab a fly... not jump or anything... just grab it made me feel great

The wolf

Arachnolord
I saw My segestria florentina catch a cricket for the first time I had been worried she was unhappy and soon to die as she would not actively catch prey and she was not developing her tube but recently she has got better and last week she came out and had a snack,I am about to feed her now as well

DanBsTs

Dan (Not Even Cool) the Man
Last night I checked on my Ts before bed and my LP had flipped over its bottle cap water dish.Nothing out of the ordinary for a T. I shook my head,wagged my finger and grumbled that Id fix it in the morning. :shifty:

I wake up this morning and check on the Ts. LP had taken its water dish and moved it about 3" across the enclosure and flipped it right side up. :rofl: Little bastard is gonna be an interior decorator when it grows up :p

The wolf

Arachnolord
Last night I checked on my Ts before bed and my LP had flipped over its bottle cap water dish.Nothing out of the ordinary for a T. I shook my head,wagged my finger and grumbled that Id fix it in the morning. :shifty:

I wake up this morning and check on the Ts. LP had taken its water dish and moved it about 3" across the enclosure and flipped it right side up. :rofl: Little bastard is gonna be an interior decorator when it grows up :p
Hmm I'll put this here and flip,there we go...no that's not right I'll bring it around there...and... um ah! Flip it again
Perfect

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
I've waited six long months for my .5" A. chalcodes sling to molt, and finally it has happened! Teeny is slightly less teeny! (Not really, the little guy looks pretty much the same. )

I am just so ridiculously happy right now, a sling in premolt that long was worrying me. Hopefully he'll unblock the entrance to his burrow soon so I can start prepping him for the next molt.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Yesterday my Neoholothele incei was trying really hard to flip her water dish, but she webbed it up so much it won't flip.

lvc

Arachnopeon
About 2 weeks ago I found a bolus at the corner of one of the slide-doors of my B.emilia´s enclosure. A week or so later I found another one there and after feeding her another cricket earlier today I finally saw her putting the bolus at the same spot.

Read about Ts dragging out molts etc from their hides, just think it´s pretty funny she has her own little spot for waste-disposal :happy:

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
About 2 weeks ago I found a bolus at the corner of one of the slide-doors of my B.emilia´s enclosure. A week or so later I found another one there and after feeding her another cricket earlier today I finally saw her putting the bolus at the same spot.

Read about Ts dragging out molts etc from their hides, just think it´s pretty funny she has her own little spot for waste-disposal :happy:
i wish my hogna carolinensis had a waste spot she just paints the walls with her poop like it looks like the toilet in a tacobell bathroom exploded in her enclosure if i dont clean it for a while

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Flash (my smaller Grammostola pulchra) is channeling her inner Pokie (stretching in a line with four legs forward and the other four backward) and extending her fangs.

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
Just fed my N. chromatus sling, and she was so excited for food she flipped over and tackled it upside down.

Mentat Ix

Arachnopeon
This morning I was using my syringe to water all the little slings. A lot of them have little holes over the water dish so I don't have to open the enclosure to do this.

When I started filling the GBB's water dish, it made a mad dash over to attack the water stream. I kept filling. It kept attacking. It ended up looking like it was doing a mad dance in a waterfall, and not much water made it to the dish.:rofl:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
This morning I was using my syringe to water all the little slings. A lot of them have little holes over the water dish so I don't have to open the enclosure to do this.

When I started filling the GBB's water dish, it made a mad dash over to attack the water stream. I kept filling. It kept attacking. It ended up looking like it was doing a mad dance in a waterfall, and not much water made it to the dish.:rofl:
I'd love to see this in a video. Next time you definitely need to film this! Sounds hilarious!!! :rofl:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
My G rosea just washed herself after a long messy meal (her first superworm). :D

I honestly didn't think she would take the worm, because she refused food for over a month now. But I thought I could at least try... and she took it readily. :astonished: She ate basically the whole day and just finished up, threw the bolus behind (!) the water dish and then took a foot and pedipalp bath, meaning she quite deliberately walked through the water dish, moving her legs up and down, as if to clean them. So, who's a good and clean spider? :D:kiss:

Edit:
And now, of course, she's grooming herself. :)

Last edited: