1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who molted today?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by T Frank, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Rigor Mortis

Rigor Mortis Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    My B. hamorii is finally venturing out of her hide from her Wednesday moult, and goodness are her colours stunning! Soaked the moult after getting it out today and positioned it to dry. Not sure where I'll display it yet but we'll see. This is my first tarantula moult and I am still so excited about it!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnolord Active Member

Iowa
    Well, this one threw me for a loop.

Feeding slings some diced up superworms since I ran out of appropriately sized crickets. One of them is my P. murinus TCF/South Kenya. Crouton is fat, but not overly dark and has been hanging his toes out of his burrow like he's still hungry, so I spare him a little piece. He doesn't take it right away so I set him aside and carry on.

About an hour later I come back to check on him, and to my shock, in the time it took for me to finish up and start putting everyone away, this little sucker flipped, molted.... and then decided that superworm guts made the PERFECT post-molt snack.

20190527_001024.jpg

It looked like he was sticking to the soft liquidy stuff and avoiding the hard exoskeleton. I know it's technically my fault for offering food to a sling in premolt (albeit unknowingly), but if he messed up his fangs... :hurting:

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. scott308

scott308 Arachnosquire Old Timer

Nhandu tripepii molted the other day. The molt measured 7" on the nose.
    20190522_173320.jpg

• Like Like x 7
    • Love Love x 1
  4. MrPromidius

MrPromidius Arachnopeon Active Member

Asia
    I just love how my G. Pulchripes slings have rosey pink hairs after molt.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  5. My little Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi sling molted last night and grew about 0.01 inches. . .

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. draconisj4

draconisj4 Arachnobaron Active Member

In the last couple of weeks:

C. versicolor sling, too small to tell yet
    P. sazimai sling, also too small
    0.1 B. cabocla
    0.1 P. irminia
    B. albiceps sling, suspect male
    N. tripepii juvenile, it's a boy
    C. fimbriatus juvenile, totally shredded the abdomen on the molt

• Like Like x 1
  7. z32upgrader

z32upgrader Arachnoknight

Moore, OK
    Y. diversipes

• Like Like x 1
  8. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnobaron Active Member

Theraphosa blondi.

A few days ago my sub-adult female Phormictopus auratus moulted as well.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Arachnophoric

Iowa
    Came home to find one of my two P. victori molted.

With the other being a suspect male, it's with great relief I announce Nike is now a molt-confirmed female. :D

nike052919.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  10. KNV

KNV Arachnopeon

Oregon
    My little A. Chalcodes molted during the Memorial Day weekend.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

It looks like my Augacephalus ezendami sling (from @cold blood) has molted. It looks more golden, and I see what looks like a molt inside its burrow.

floof alert level: red

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. z32upgrader

z32upgrader Arachnoknight

Moore, OK
    Acanthoscurria geniculata molted. Appears male.
    Also here's the female something or other, now a week post-molt.
    DSCF9818.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. Arachnophoric

Iowa
    Quelaag, my P. irminia and first T, decided she couldn't let the P. victori upstage her and molted for me today too. :hilarious:

Can't wait to catch a good look and see how much she's grown. :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. arachnidgill

arachnidgill Arachnosquire

Both of my T. rasti slings molted, about 3/4" now.

• Like Like x 2
  15. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

Unsurprisingly, on of my B. albo slings molted today. I'm thinking it's about 3/4" - 1" now.

Very surprisingly, one of my female Hapalopus sp. Colombia klein also molted today. On her exactly 1.5" molt, her darkened spermathecae was visible with no more than a light source. Of course, I already knew she was female. I think she's finally earned a larger home.

20190529_233706-1.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Love Love x 1
  16. Killertut

Killertut Arachnosquire Active Member

Germany
    welp, mixed news:

A. musculosa was burried for the best part of winter and has now successfully molted. i will try to get the molt and sex it.
    i might also be able to confirm if the B. species 'angustum' (some kind of mutt) i bought as a female is a genuine one. she molted earlier this year but i haven't yet been able to get the molt.

now the sad news.
    last year in summer i got a L1 C. versicolor sling. it got stuck in its molt after successfully molting in my care 2 times and died last winter. this year i got a new one at L3 because i absolutely want a full grown adult in my collection. this one prepared to molt a couple of days ago and just died, didn't even get out of its old skin at all...

bummer. now i am contemplating if i should get another 1 or 2 C. versicolor slings.

Meanwhile A. sp. boa vista from the same shipment molted this night without issue, not all Avicularia related hope is lost :)

• Sad Sad x 2
  17. Arachnophoric

Iowa
    It's interesting to hear that you've had this happen to two of your C. versicolor slings, the same thing happened to my first C. versicolor (which was also my second T). Flipped to molt, managed to pop the carapace before getting stuck. I think he lasted three days before finally going still. :(

I bought another one last summer and thankfully it's doing pretty well, started showing some red setae last molt and I suspect will molt again soon. Wonder if there's any connection to versicolor slings and increased likelihood of molting issues, or if it's just sheer coincidence. I don't think you're the first person besides myself that I've heard mentioning something like this happening though.

Sorry for your loss. Hopefully you'll have better luck the next go around.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Killertut

Killertut Arachnosquire Active Member

Germany
    i assume it is just a coincidence/bad luck.

19. Stormsky

Stormsky Arachnopeon

Same exact situation happened to me too. My first versicolor tried molting a couple days after I bought it and only made it half way. Got another one and it's molted a few times with no issues and is now getting its adult colors.
    I think versicolor slings are a bit more prone to molting problems then other species. I also think arboreals are more prone to molt problems than terrestrials since I also had a P. metallica sling get stuck in a molt and my A. avic only lasted a few days after molting into a mature male.

20. My Xenesthis sp. blue sling molted last night, gotta love those legs.

1504F469-B073-445A-A712-ED5C9B2B2A4E.jpeg

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 4