Who molted today?

boina

Lady of the mites
My G. iheringi is on her back!!! I wasn't expecting that at all. She molted last time only 7 months ago and I had thought her to be adult with her last molt, but I guess I was wrong. She hadn't flicked a single hair, too. And I had been wondering why she was so sluggish and didn't take food... Sometimes the most obvious explanation really is the right one :banghead:.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
My Poecilotheria smithi juvenile molted the other day and threw its molt out from its fortress of solitude last night. I should note that this is the first time I’ve ever seen any of my spiders throw out a molt from its hide or burrow. I still have no idea what you all are talking about with your tidy spiders. Mine are all slobs.

Anyways, looks like “Zelda" has a DLS of 4 inches. And i was finally able to sex it from a molt. I didn’t do a great job at unfolding this one, but i don’t see sex parts, so I’m about 90% sure it’s a male. Which means that I have the worst luck. Of those sexed via molt, I am now 2 for 9. If you include two more that we’re sexed here via ventral sexing, I am 3 for 11 (3 females, 8 males). I have females that I bought already sexed, so that does improve my collection to 9 females and 9 males (bought an LK as a male).

My local pet shop has more P. smithi’s so I’m considering getting another in hopes that it’s a female. Will name it Link just to keep things confusing.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Anyways, looks like “Zelda" has a DLS of 4 inches. And i was finally able to sex it from a molt. I didn’t do a great job at unfolding this one, but i don’t see sex parts, so I’m about 90% sure it’s a male.
Zelda is a great name for a male, because people who don't play those games often think the hero (Link) is named Zelda.

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
Came back from weekend away sure enough my other l.parahybana molted. At least I have a time line as to how often they molt which is every 6 weeks right now.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Muffet (my juvenile male Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens) surreptitiously molted within the last 24 hours. It's kind of funny, because just last night, I was noticing how he had reinforced the webbing of his main retreat, so I couldn't see him as well. I guess I now know why.

I can't see him well right now, but I look forward to seeing if he has changed colors. (Previously, the carapace was a bluish orange, so I wouldn't be surprised if it turned blue.)

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
My 7/8 inch B. emilia just molted and is now 15/16ths of an inch. Sigh. I honestly don't know which species grows more slowly, B. emilia or Euathlus sp. red.

On the plus side, you can see the adult coloration very slightly now, and it's among my favorite tarantula patterns.

forfun

Arachnopeon
My first experience with a molt was yesterday! P.irminia sling before molt 2.5cm almost doubled in size.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It must be xmas as my B albiceps as given me a surprise moult. Add my B albo to the list also

Last edited:

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
My female Tapinauchenius cupreus molted today, the skin on the right her foot on the left lol

Last edited: