Who likes Solifugids?

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool stuff man...I'm surprised it wasn't faster than that!

Later,

Jake

El Johano

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice clip :)
Have you ever tried breeding them? Or had a wild-caught female lay eggs?

Peloquin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice.I had a few years back and I'm hopin to get one or two from the BTS show.
What do you find the best setup for keeping them?
Enclosure size, temp, substrate etc...etc...
Cheers

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Who likes Solifugids?
me, me , me :}

thanx for those videoclips,... those will get me trough a hard day at work !

i used to have the same specie,..
only been able to keep it alive for 7 months :(

When more is known about proper "housing" of these i would consider getting another one or two ;)

and Please share some "set-up" techiques :}

arachnoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When I lived out in Lemoore, CA (by Fresno), solfugids were very common. One summer I we would see at least one a night running through the house. Back then I knew they were called wind scorpions so I thought they were very venomous.
My brother and I would catch them and marvel how mean the little suckers were. They would raise their pedipalps high and spread their chelicerae WIDE when threatened and proceed to crush anything that came close. Being kids we would see if there was anything around its size that could put up a fight. I probably kept it for half a year before I let it go.
The biggest one I've seen there was probably just under 3" in legspan. It was hairier than the others I've seen/caught. One of its pedipalps were missing as well. Looked to be quite a warrior! I didn't try to catch it since by then I had developed a respect for them.
They're far and away my favorite arachnid.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
gongyles said:
i used to have the same specie,..
only been able to keep it alive for 7 months :(

When more is known about proper "housing" of these i would consider getting another one or two ;)

and Please share some "set-up" techiques :}
I think 7 months was pretty good! I don't think husbandry issues are the problem, I think they're just naturally short lived. We grow so accustomed to the long-lived invertebrates we keep that we forget that most have much shorter lives. What we really need is captive BREEDING techniques. Then we could enjoy them in the hobby the way we already do with mantids.

Wade

KingOfRats

Arachnopeon
I desperately want to get into them. I'd even start with some of the U.S. species that live so short. Just for the experience.