Who is owning the oldest tarantula?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I guess that an Aphonopelma chalcodes female can live pretty darn long! I also think Pelenobius muticus! (Was that genusname correctly spelled?) Will get damn old, based on how slow they grow and how large females get!
I have heard stories about B harmorii living up to 30 years as well?

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My first tarantula was a Lasiodorides striatus. I got her in 1999 as a full adult. She's still going today, but her last molt was about 3.5 years ago in a deli cup I packed her in to move from Florida to Texas. Also, I purchased some 0.5" L. striatus slings back in September of 2012. Almost 7 years later, the largest one is an immature male pushing 4", the females are between 3 - 3.5". So, assuming that the females mature at around 10 years of age, that would put my adult at 30+ years old. I know it can't be verified, but there's no way she's less than 25 years old.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I have a female G porteri i bought as my first spider in the year 2000! She was an young adult when i bought her. I estimate her age to 25+ years!

How old is your oldest tarantula?
I have one around same estimated age , these are probably one of the top 10 longlived species . If not #1 had mine 13 years was full grown adult at purchase she’s 5.5” and stocky.

Just gotta wait another 9 years before she can be the official record holder, sure she’s gotta be older than that 28 year old Brachypelma but you can’t confirm the exact age so people probably wouldn’t accept it. Then we just gotta see if she can pass that 43 year old trapdoor
Trapdoor can live that long? I have no doubt the show growing tarantula species females can live longer!!
The hobby isn’t even that old yet? In USA at lease. Maybe I’m wrong when did Stan Schultz? And the t keeper get wrote ? Did hobby start I. Late 70s-80s?
I’m too young to know when hobby officially started doubt a trapdoor can out live a desert tarantula. G porter I even or red knee .
Is the trapdoor record ligit?

Last edited by a moderator:

creepsinc

Arachnopeon
I have one around same estimated age , these are probably one of the top 10 longlived species . If not #1 had mine 13 years was full grown adult at purchase she’s 5.5” and stocky.

Trapdoor can live that long? I have no doubt the show growing tarantula species females can live longer!!
The hobby isn’t even that old yet? In USA at lease. Maybe I’m wrong when did Stan Schultz? And the t keeper get wrote ? Did hobby start I. Late 70s-80s?
I’m too young to know when hobby officially started doubt a trapdoor can out live a desert tarantula. G porter I even or red knee .
Is the trapdoor record ligit?
Allow me to emerge from years of lurking to use my first post to share with you one of the most incredible and fully verified stories I've ever read. The story of #16...

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/new...he-worlds-oldest-known-spider/?outputType=amp

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

Angelo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got my G. rosea in 2003 as a fully grown adult. In all her molts since then, hasn't gotten any bigger. She's still kickin' and eating well. So, I'm guessing she's at least 30 years old.

My L. parahybana was born in January 2007, making her just over 16 years old. She's still healthy and chunky.

Anyone have an L. parahybana that's up there in years? I'm hoping she sticks around for at least another 5+:cool:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got my first tarantula when I was 3 and she died on my 24th birthday. :confused:

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I got my G. rosea RCF as a sling in the summer of 2001, so she's going on 22 years now. She matured in less than 5 years, not sure how that happened lol.