Who is not scared of tarantulas but house spiders freak them right out ?

Gary Sanchez

Arachnopeon
Hi who else is not one bit afraid of tarantulas but can't go near a house spider I am wanna chat to see if anyone knows why ?

NYAN

Arachnoking
I can’t relate, but know of people who can. I think the idea may be because tarantulas are larger and less leggy than many house spiders. I know that sounds funny because big spiders would seem scarier. The house spiders may be imagined to be more sneaky and are able to hide easier?

buzz182

Arachnosquire
Same here, I think it is because they are much more leggy and the lack of visible hair.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, I used to be like that. When I was a kid, I was terrified of black widows (Thanks, Mom!) and not much better around other house or garden spiders - but wolf spiders and tarantulas didn't bother me as much. They were still a little creepy - but because they were big and furry, they seemed more like "proper animals" and less "spidery." Also, even though I know they are capable of speed, I don't recall ever witnessing them moving quickly. It was those fast, sneaky little guys you had to watch out for - the ones that would unexpectedly drop down on you in the garden, or dash out from under the couch in the middle of the night, or be lurking in the nooks and crannies around the yard. It wasn't until I kept my first pet spider (a black widow - yeah, I'm a "jump head-first into the deep end" kind of gal!) that I finally began to appreciate spiders for the beatiful, fascinating creatures that they are.

Bree24

Arachnosquire
It’s the legs. Large mature males scare the crap out of me too; and huntsmans are the devil! ... I almost died one night when I was sitting in bed and a Daddy that was bigger than the palm of my hand started crawling up my comforter towards me. :eek: Not as if a Daddy is even remotely dangerous lol