Who here actually collects and pins insects?

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm just curious to see who does and who doesn't. Trying to find more people to share the joys with lol.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i do :D mostly CO insects (duh!) cause that's where i've spent most of my life. it's really fun and neat to see others reactions to it.

Last edited:

Vulgaris

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a small non professional collection of wasps/bees.

I don't kill them especially for pinning, so my collection grows only when I can find freshly dead wasps or if my captives die.

I would have a great collection if I actually did collect and kill them for pinning, but I simply refuse to do it

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a small non professional collection of wasps/bees.

I don't kill them especially for pinning, so my collection grows only when I can find freshly dead wasps or if my captives die.

I would have a great collection if I actually did collect and kill them for pinning, but I simply refuse to do it
Why do you refuse?

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i do :D mostly CO insects (duh!) cause that's where i've spent most of my life. it's really run and neat to see others reactions to it.
Yea I'm collecting between PA and NJ right now. I'm going to Florida this summer but IDK the regulations of transferring dead bugs between states like NJ and FL....but I'd really like to add a Nephila to my collection though!

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I mainly only collect certain types of beetles...I am a big Cicindela fan. I've built up a decent pinned collection over the years...

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my guess would be out of respect for wildlife.
My guess as well. That's why I didn't start right away but then I realized how little of an impact I would be making on the population as a whole so I figured what the heck. Well I realized this after I had to build a collection for my entomology class.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I pinned my dead P.murinus. It was a little time consuming considering how..um..juicy they are. Smelled like rotting pickles for three weeks. Ew. I mostly end up pinning arachnids.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
there's a way to do it so it doesn't smell like rotting parts... ;)

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I pinned my dead P.murinus. It was a little time consuming considering how..um..juicy they are. Smelled like rotting pickles for three weeks. Ew. I mostly end up pinning arachnids.
I'd just preserve them in alcohol. Makes life so much easier.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
idk how late i am for this thread but i collect and pin insects, if you look around you could probably find a few posts with pics of my collection in it.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
while it is good for big collection, it's not too good for display...
Yep. Now she's mounted all pretty like and is up for trade at the Nature Exchange in Dallas Zoo. :D

EDIT: I know I could stuff it with a cotton ball...but that's the only method I know of to help ease the smell off...anyway...my jeep stopped smelling like pickles now

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
yeah, unless you scrape the guts out, it will smell. i just stuff small amounts of tissue/cotton in so it looks lifelike:

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, unless you scrape the guts out, it will smell. i just stuff small amounts of tissue/cotton in so it looks lifelike:

Well what about small specimens?

And I think vials make for a fine display! And people I know have been impressed by my vials.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Well what about small specimens?
small specimens don't have the amount of guts to rot, and don't smell bad. no need to stuff.

And I think vials make for a fine display! And people I know have been impressed by my vials.
maybe. i guess i just prefer something on my wall that looks like it's still alive (except for being glued to a clear sheet of plastic ;)).

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
small specimens don't have the amount of guts to rot, and don't smell bad. no need to stuff.

maybe. i guess i just prefer something on my wall that looks like it's still alive (except for being glued to a clear sheet of plastic ;)).
Ah well so far all my bugs are going to my entomology professor first so I must store all arachnids in alcohol or else I get no points.