Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What I have:

3 Hierodula membranacea 1 adult male, 2 fertile females
13 Miomantis paykulli L6-L7(subadult)
1 Parasphendale affinis adult female, + 2 ootheca
27 Parasphendale affinis L3
~30 Parasphendale affinis L1-L2
3 Parasphendale agriona ~L5 or L6, and L7(all female)
5 Stagmomantis carolina ootheca
3 Tenedora a. sinensis oothecae
8 Tenedora a. sinensis L2
2 Deroplatys desiccata L3 and L5
? Phyllocrania paradoxa (expected soon)

What I breed(at the moment)
H. membranacea, P. affinis,and M. paykullii

Greenstar

Arachnopeon
yeah I got most of my mantis from Orin, the Miomantis and Otomantis. Does he ever send you a freebie?

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What is the lifespan of a Mantis?
Depends on which of the many species you have, and how often you feed them, and how warm you keep them. Less food(feed once or twice a week), moderate temps are best for most species.

Does he ever send you a freebie?
Yes

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yes, I did get my Miomantis from Orin. I did not really dig the miomantis the first time I had some, but he sort of told me they grow on you, and sure enough, I like them now.

Greenstar

Arachnopeon
What Color morph were they and how long did the take to reach adult hood from 5th instar?

Thanks
Danny

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I always have kept my M. paykullii on the dry side, so they all end up straw/light brown. I have had a male mature in as little as 2 months, but most take about 3 months(both male and female). both sexes molt on average 7 times before becoming adult. The one male that matured in 2 months, I believe only molted 5 times and was quite small in comparison to the other males.

Greenstar

Arachnopeon
Sounds good so if I kept them with mor humidty yet still had good circulation do you think I could get the nice light green color? How do you have them set-up and how did you get them to breed?

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you mist them frequently, and keep them on green foliage, or put greens in their enclosure(plants themselves help keep humidity high), most should be green, after their next molt or two. That does not gaurantee that they will become green, just increases the chance. I have yet to try that myself. I just keep mine in individual small plastic containers with mesh lids, and no substrate, they do fine.

I have yet to actually breed the M. paykullii, but they are supposedly the easiest to do so. I have breed several other species with success, so I am not too concerned, especially since I have 8 females and 5 males. I usually take both the male and the female out of their enclosures and put them in an area of my apartment where they will not be disturbed. I put the male close to the female, but behind her, so that she can't see him but he can see her. If he does not instantly jump on her, I turn the lights down, and sit still for awhile or just let them be(if I have more than one male) The male usually gets away after mating(then I get to try and find him). Only once so far have I had a male be eaten after mating, but never before mating.
-Jesse

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
at the moment:
-Phyllocrania paradoxa
-Prohierodula spec.
-Deroplatys lobata
-Empusa pennata

Greenstar

Arachnopeon
So do yu put several males near the feamle or just one? and have you ever tried to feed the female to keep her busy?

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have always just used one male at a time, so they would not be distracted by each other. I have tried feeding the female, but the male always seemed to wait until she was done eating before jumping on her, so I don't do that anymore.

Greenstar

Arachnopeon
Cool can't wait till mine get here since Orin said that they were 5+ instarso they are probably the same age as yours. Just cuiorus how do you seperate the nymph and hat size container do you use?

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I keep my M. paykullii in 3.5" deep and 4" wide plastic deli containers. How I separate the hatchlings depends on what container the ooth hatches in, it is hard to explain.