Who’s bred Poecs before?

Have you bred any poec species in the past?

• Yes and it was successful

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Yes but it was unsuccessful

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Haven’t tried it

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
With all the discussion about keeping the Sri Lankan Poecs in the hobby I wanted to see how many here have ever successfully bred any Poec species. If no one is breeding them they won’t last long in the hobby. In adddition this genus is not the easiest to breed. Well, who’s been successful around here?

I’ll start. I’ve made one attempt with P metallica. She hasn’t molted out but it’s been 6 months and she doesn’t look gravidnto me.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
No breeding attempts, but I do have a fresh MM P. subfusca I'm trying to find a local buyer for.

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
I tried to breed the P. metallica in the past, she was more interested in attacking the male though, and never drummed back at him. id love to try again, maybe with a different poec tho

pariahsp84

Arachnopeon
I have a Regalis pair and waiting for my male to mature. Ive attempted before, but did not succeed.

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have in the past but I don’t keep T’s anymore. Are they becoming increasely rare nowadays? Sorry, I haven’t been keeping up with this hobby.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
just hatched out my second regalis sac...
Which leads me to ask,would you even bother breeding the Five species on the ESA list?
Knowing you wont be able to sell across state lines,and with only a limited number of T
keepers in your state.
If I have a pair of P.smithi/ornata,sexualy mature,do I even bother pairing them,with the
understanding I may not be able to find homes for them.

Which leads to another question.If you, as a breeder of the restricted pokies,can and are
you able to wholesale the slings to a Canadian/EU importer.Or are you crossing state lines
for profit?

cold blood

Staff member
How many was there?
87 in this one...i believe the last sac was 101.
Which leads me to ask,would you even bother breeding the Five species on the ESA list?
I do have ornata and vitatta....while i wont actively pursue MMs, if one falls in my lap, i would give it a go.

I actually paired the vitatta 2yrs ago and ornata a few months before the limitations went into effect, but both ended up molting out.

Which leads to another question.If you, as a breeder of the restricted pokies,can and are
you able to wholesale the slings to a Canadian/EU importer.Or are you crossing state lines
for profit?
Only if the person buying them is in your home state...i dont have dealers in WI unfortunately....but you can do breeding loans across state lines as long as money doesnt change hands.

Im sure the amount of paperwork and cost would significantly effect such things...personally i wouldnt even consider it.

And with a normal loan, no money would change hands anyway.....so if i got a male from say, florida, and got a sac, i could legally send half the sac back to florida....so it would help cut down on my numbers i would need to sell locally.

Last edited:

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
And with a normal loan, no money would change hands anyway
So,if I bought 2 P.regalis from you,and asked you if you had a P.subfusca sling,and asked if you would send
the P.subfusca sling/or slings,as a loan,with the future offspring ,sent back to you in WI,as future
"compensation",we would be fulfilling the wording of the legislation.
I don't remember if asking about a species,that might be avalabile,and inquiring about that species,violates
the intent of the ruling.
I understand,as you do,im sure,compensation implies money changing hands.If no money is
passed between us for the P.subfusca,but I pay you for the P.regalis,and you send the P.subfusca sling
with the shipment,where is the conflict?.I cant believe that asking ,you,to send me a P.subfusca sling
MM,or MF subfusca,for no monetary compensation is in violation of the legislation.
And I understand that,the implication is I bought the P.regalis from you with the sole purpose,to
acquire the P.subfusca.Fact remains,i paid for the P.regalis,the subfusca was sent with no money
changing hands for that animal.
Two individual,s,you and me,agree to this,then where is the US agency,s argument with this.Its not
that we cant possess these T,s.You don't sell it to me,i don't buy it from you.But,here,have this animal.

cold blood

Staff member
It would be hard to rationalize that an unsexed sling could be part of a breeding loan....i would think the expectation of mature animals would be implied.

As for adding a sling to a purchase or as a freebie, this is something i also wondered, but its been made clear that it wouldnt work as it would be considered part of a paid for transaction or incentive for a sale. @Ungoliant explained it better...lol.

Now, i could give you one free if its shipped seperately, although if this happened on the heels of another purchase, it could lead to questions and wouldnt be something i would be trying to push the legal envelope with.

I would absolutely consider just sending free ones to people I knew just for the sake of spreading them to good keepers and other breeders....but it would be a no strings attached deal.

Last edited: