White tarantula?

BigBryan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So I was at the local tarantula death row and I saw a white tarantula is pretty bad shape. it had a milky white/grey color and little to no color pattern (could be due to how horribly they were kept. no substrate plastic cup with cotton and no water) ive been trying for hours to look around to find any pics that are similar to it but nothing yet. so I was wondering if people could maybe name or link a picture to the whitish/grey tarantulas in the hobby.

Also if you could look in the tarantula ID section and maybe help me out IDing the tarantula I just bought. I want to say its a P.cancerides but the color is off.

prethanks for those who try to help me!

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
completely off the top of my head with no picture of it but the closest ive seen to a pure white T is the sort of light phase of P. formosa. some specimens have almost no pattern to them.

John

blix

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So I was at the local tarantula death row and I saw a white tarantula is pretty bad shape. it had a milky white/grey color and little to no color pattern (could be due to how horribly they were kept. no substrate plastic cup with cotton and no water) ive been trying for hours to look around to find any pics that are similar to it but nothing yet. so I was wondering if people could maybe name or link a picture to the whitish/grey tarantulas in the hobby.

Also if you could look in the tarantula ID section and maybe help me out IDing the tarantula I just bought. I want to say its a P.cancerides but the color is off.

prethanks for those who try to help me!
Heteroscodra maculata perhaps?

Not my picture, but does it look like this: http://media.photobucket.com/image/Heteroscodra%20maculata/Kirdec/mac.jpg

BigBryan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hm well now I think I should go back and buy it just to show a pic

BigBryan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There was no way they could molt under the conditions that they were living in. A lot of them look pretty close to death. If it wasn't for me being so broke I would've bought them all.

here is the one i decided to buy because it looked big and wasn't hooked

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The T in the pic does not look like the white one though right? My guess would also be Heteroscodra maculata because Ive seen several floating around my local pet stores as of late. I really think it is a bad idea to have them in the local pet stores being sold to noobs.

BigBryan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The T in the pic does not look like the white one though right? My guess would also be Heteroscodra maculata because Ive seen several floating around my local pet stores as of late. I really think it is a bad idea to have them in the local pet stores being sold to noobs.
correct this one and the the white one were the only 2 different types of tarantulas they had. when I picked up one of the white/grey tarantulas he looked close to death but all of a sudden it flipped out and got into threat position and tried to bite nothing. but I would like an id on both. I'm really curious now I'm really close to walking out the door but I'm not sure how comfortable I am with quick aggressive arboreal T's.

edit: the H.maculata looks about the right color I tried really hard to see any kind of pattern on it but saw nothing that I could remember.

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
grammostola sp north is a white tarantula. . .google it n it will bring up pics of it if u type into your browser "photos of grammostola sp north"

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
where was it and how much were they asking got my intrest peeked.

BigBryan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am in SW houston around beechnut/dairy ashford area. I think im gonna go balls out and just go buy it and be very careful when transfering to an enclosure. I really dont have the proper enclosure for an arboreal right now but I think the 3" one could make do in the medium KK. brb as I go buy it and then I will take pics haha. any advice on moving it if it is an H.mac? they sound very quick.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yup dont play tag!

Id just get a bigger container then it is now in and leave the small one open inside the big one. Let the T move itself out in its own time. If this is not to your liking you can always put the smaller container in the bigger one and prod the T gently out of the small one.

BigBryan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok weird I thought it was dead for a while. when i slowly flipped the cup it came in upsidedown it just flopped over then it sat in 1 plce for 5 minutes no matter if i touched it with tweezers or not. Then i decide its dead because it wont move so I took pictures with the lid open I even walked out of the room a few times and left the top open haha. When I put the cup over it to bring it back to the pet store I noticed very little reactions. I then blew on it to see if it would move and nothing. So I take everything out and push it towards the water cup in which it still did nothing but drag but you can tell a few legs would move a little bit. So I figured its very close to death I took it back to my room and I was going to ask you all if I should try to save it or just bring it back and 20 seconds after I put the enclosure down it walks to the other side of the substrate. This was the same tarantula that was attacking the walls of its enclosure at the pet store haha. here are 2 pics of when I thought it was dead.

It's not actually as white as it looked in the store lighting.

flash

no flash but shadow casted from the lid of KK

I guess I considered it white because it was in a slight death curl and I couldn't see its carapace or abdomen that well and the legs are white.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Young Aphonopelma seemani. expect to see the faint start of the classic stripes on the next moult.

We got one in this size a month or two ago. it was mean as hell, moulted and while trying to see if it could be fed yet, it attacked me and promptly escaped and is now loose somewhere in the store. last it was spotted was in the fish mantainence room last week.

John

BigBryan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oooooo thanks I had no idea what seemanis look as juvies/subadults this one is already pretty big I'd guess 1 more molt untill adult. I hope its at least female. Do you have any idea of what tarantula the one in the first picture I posted in this thread?

edit: I'm slightly bummed I thought it would be something more outside the petstore box =\. but a new T is always good ^_^

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the first T looks like a Phormictopus sp. to me. how big did you say this second one was? i thought you said somewhere that it was only like 3" or so, which made me think of a juvenile A seemani. if its much bigger than that then im not sure.

John

BigBryan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I thought it was small when it was all curled up but now its looking significantly bigger here is a pic.

also for comparison the first tarantula is pretty big. not really body wise but the leg span is probably 6-7" its been walking around alot and I dont know whether to judge by when its completely sprawled out or just relaxed.

MatthewS

Arachnopeon
We got one in this size a month or two ago. it was mean as hell, moulted and while trying to see if it could be fed yet, it attacked me and promptly escaped and is now loose somewhere in the store. last it was spotted was in the fish mantainence room last week.

John
Hahahahahahaha!!! Better go find that sucker!

oooooo thanks I had no idea what seemanis look as juvies/subadults this one is already pretty big I'd guess 1 more molt untill adult. I hope its at least female. Do you have any idea of what tarantula the one in the first picture I posted in this thread?

edit: I'm slightly bummed I thought it would be something more outside the petstore box =\. but a new T is always good ^_^
Dude, go back to that store and punch the owner right in the mouth.. Any pet store with a 'death row' that can't even identify it's own species, shouldn't be in operation.

- Matt

BigBryan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dude, go back to that store and punch the owner right in the mouth.. Any pet store with a 'death row' that can't even identify it's own species, shouldn't be in operation.

- Matt
lol yeah alot of the asian owned fish/pet stores just have tarantulas in deli cups or kk s with nothing but wet cotton balls in it. not saying anything about asians just I happen to be asian and I'm around chinatown alot haha.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hahahahahahaha!!! Better go find that sucker!

- Matt
oh we've tried. He's a lot like Bin Laden. we know where he is, but there are just so many hiding places and crap everywhere that we'll never be able to find him, and he has the supplies he needs to live in hiding forever, but just to taunt us he'll come out and show himself long enough to scare the crap out of somebody, and then go back into hiding again for a long time. i keep hoping he'll end up being more like Hussien and one day we'll find him in a secret spider hole lol.

john