White organisms covering T's fangs

Crazed

Arachnopeon
These small white organisms have covered my Versi slings fangs. She is trying to remove them? Does anyone k ow what they are or how i can get rid of them?

Attachments

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
They’re probably mites, and they’re probably annoying her. I’d stick a dead feeder insect or two in there so the mites stop picking scraps of food off her fangs and stop bugging her. The mites aren’t harmful, they’re actually a free cleanup crew (like springtails), but if you want to lessen their numbers at the very least, scoop out the dead feeder insects after they’ve accumulated a large amount of mites. How big is your C. versicolor? She seems pretty decently sized in the photo.

Crazed

Arachnopeon
They’re probably mites, and they’re probably annoying her. I’d stick a dead feeder insect or two in there so the mites stop picking scraps of food off her fangs and stop bugging her. The mites aren’t harmful, they’re actually a free cleanup crew (like springtails), but if you want to lessen their numbers at the very least, scoop out the dead feeder insects after they’ve accumulated a large amount of mites. How big is your C. versicolor? She seems pretty decently sized in the photo.
Shes about 2 inches (hopeful she). And i havent fed her in that enclosure, i will stick a dead roach in, thanks for the advice, im relatively new so i was worried

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
They look like they're just mites. They should be fine and disperse on their own. No need to do anything. Any chance you gave it prekilled food? That's the only reason I would imagine mites swarming the fangs like that (the mites could have already been eating the prekill when the spider decided to take it)

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I don't like mites either but they're not harmful. What irritates me is why they're there in the first place... o_O
Mites need moisture to reproduce. How do you keep your C. versicolor? It should be dry - apart from a water dish - and very well ventilated. Could you post a picture of the enclosure?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldnt keep a versicolor sling dry! I wouldnt keep any sling of any speicies dry! They should be kept moist with good ventilation, if you ask me that is!

Crazed

Arachnopeon
I don't like mites either but they're not harmful. What irritates me is why they're there in the first place... o_O
Mites need moisture to reproduce. How do you keep your C. versicolor? It should be dry - apart from a water dish - and very well ventilated. Could you post a picture of the enclosure?
Didnt have coco fibre available, i assume the mites came from this sub, i can't really change it now but as long as mites arent harmful i dont mind them.

Attachments

esa space station

Arachnoknight
As daft as it sounds ive cleaned a few t blondi although not of mites but dirt and fine granular fibres off cork bark by using an artists paintbrush moistened of course and ive been very gentle around carapace etc worked a treat

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
As daft as it sounds ive cleaned a few t blondi although not of mites but dirt and fine granular fibres off cork bark by using an artists paintbrush moistened of course and ive been very gentle around carapace etc worked a treat
are Ts not capable of grooming themselves? :rolleyes: *he said as he violently brushed his pet tarantula*

esa space station

Arachnoknight
No was very gentle honest a matter of seconds only did it once or twice."sat there stroking it christ you make me sound like a bond villian or sumet lol"

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
The mites are there cleaning your tarantulas fangs of left over food scraps. They're like living toothbrushes.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
The mites are there cleaning your tarantulas fangs of left over food scraps. They're like living toothbrushes.
yeah like the replacement to giving them baths.

I started using baby shampoo so I don't get soap in their EYES.