1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White organisms covering T's fangs

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Crazed, Mar 17, 2019 at 9:33 AM.

1. Crazed

Crazed Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    These small white organisms have covered my Versi slings fangs. She is trying to remove them? Does anyone k ow what they are or how i can get rid of them?

Attached Files:

2. spookyvibes

spookyvibes Arachnobaron Active Member

Indiana
    They’re probably mites, and they’re probably annoying her. I’d stick a dead feeder insect or two in there so the mites stop picking scraps of food off her fangs and stop bugging her. The mites aren’t harmful, they’re actually a free cleanup crew (like springtails), but if you want to lessen their numbers at the very least, scoop out the dead feeder insects after they’ve accumulated a large amount of mites. How big is your C. versicolor? She seems pretty decently sized in the photo.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Crazed

Crazed Arachnopeon

Shes about 2 inches (hopeful she). And i havent fed her in that enclosure, i will stick a dead roach in, thanks for the advice, im relatively new so i was worried

• Like Like x 1
  4. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnoangel Active Member

They look like they're just mites. They should be fine and disperse on their own. No need to do anything. Any chance you gave it prekilled food? That's the only reason I would imagine mites swarming the fangs like that (the mites could have already been eating the prekill when the spider decided to take it)

5. Thekla

Thekla Arachnodemon Active Member

I don't like mites either but they're not harmful. What irritates me is why they're there in the first place... o_O
    Mites need moisture to reproduce. How do you keep your C. versicolor? It should be dry - apart from a water dish - and very well ventilated. Could you post a picture of the enclosure?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnolord Old Timer

I wouldnt keep a versicolor sling dry! I wouldnt keep any sling of any speicies dry! They should be kept moist with good ventilation, if you ask me that is!

7. Crazed

Crazed Arachnopeon

Didnt have coco fibre available, i assume the mites came from this sub, i can't really change it now but as long as mites arent harmful i dont mind them.

Attached Files: