White Dots?

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had a friend over that spotted little white dots in the substrate in with my centipede. I assume these are mites. Will they kill my pede? If I just clean the cage today the will be gone?

Cheers,

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes if you clean out your substrate for new substrate, they will be gone, unless those mites come along with your substrate, i really dont know what you use.

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
crashergs said:
yes if you clean out your substrate for new substrate, they will be gone, unless those mites come along with your substrate, i really dont know what you use.

zinto

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Geography Guy said:
I had a friend over that spotted little white dots in the substrate in with my centipede. I assume these are mites. Will they kill my pede? If I just clean the cage today the will be gone?

Cheers,
You're sure it wasn't mold, right? Just checking. :D

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
zinto said:
You're sure it wasn't mold, right? Just checking. :D

I am pretty sure it wasn't mold. When I looked really close to the segments on my centipede I could see little dots running around. But since I cleaned the cage they are gone.

Cheers,

jgaglio1

Arachnopeon
Geography Guy said:
I am pretty sure it wasn't mold. When I looked really close to the segments on my centipede I could see little dots running around. But since I cleaned the cage they are gone.
Cheers,
They will likely be back. In my experience many 'pedes carry at least a few mites. As long as they don't get out of hand they won't harm the 'pede. When I was new to 'pedes I was told the mites serve a function by keeping the 'pede clean.

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
in captivity, these mites dont necessarily have to be kept since your a big cleaning mite (the owner of the centipede) providing you keep their containers clean, the pedes groom themselves on their own.

what you probably had, could be several factors, maybe you put a cricket in and the centipede ate it, but that cricket could have had eggs in her abdomen, those eggs can spill (white lil specs of dots) and looks weird to be in substrate, another thing could be little mites that grow in your terrarium if you leave old decaying crickets, vegetables stuff like that. im talking out of my own experience, but so will everyone here... usually replacing the substrate alleviates the issue of an infestation of mites, but depending on the owner and the maintanance cleaning of the pedes terrarium will determine those white specks comming back again or not.

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
crashergs said:
in captivity, these mites dont necessarily have to be kept since your a big cleaning mite (the owner of the centipede) providing you keep their containers clean, the pedes groom themselves on their own.

what you probably had, could be several factors, maybe you put a cricket in and the centipede ate it, but that cricket could have had eggs in her abdomen, those eggs can spill (white lil specs of dots) and looks weird to be in substrate, another thing could be little mites that grow in your terrarium if you leave old decaying crickets, vegetables stuff like that. im talking out of my own experience, but so will everyone here... usually replacing the substrate alleviates the issue of an infestation of mites, but depending on the owner and the maintanance cleaning of the pedes terrarium will determine those white specks comming back again or not.
I think mites from cricket parts seem best. Now I don't mean to say I don't clean out the old parts of crickets in my centipede's cage I just never see them unless there buried somewhere.

Cheers,

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
u sure those white dots are not your dandruff flakes?
there is also one thing called spring tail, and i am not quite sure grade 9 biology covers that, not to mention beneficial mites