White blob on her fang? Rose Hair

ViperSRT

Arachnopeon
Hey all,

Here is an updated pic. I'm probably going to get her some crickets today and see how she fares.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Great news and if it helps ease your worry, i rescued a VERY old female T oncefrom a friend who was moving. I didint know the whole story but was simply told she "was 12+ years old, a salmon pink birdeater, and only had 1 fang".........
This worried me as she was pretty old and i (at the time) had never heard of a single fang'd T much less one that was a fully functional killing machine.

Long story short, even with only 1 fang she did fine for years in my care and continued to eat just fine. She only molted a few more times before i too was growing my collection FAST and handed her off to another friend who as far as i know, had her for many years more.

T's absolutly can survive an i jured (or completly broken) fang i can personally vouch for that

Last edited:

ViperSRT

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone,

She did what she has done for the last few months....nothing. She reacted to the crickets being near her, but did not go after it. I'll have to check tonight if she got around to hunting it yet. I'll keep you posted.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Hi everyone,

She did what she has done for the last few months....nothing. She reacted to the crickets being near her, but did not go after it. I'll have to check tonight if she got around to hunting it yet. I'll keep you posted.
I'm sure someone has mentioned this already but if she is recovering you might want to try leaving some prekilled food in the enclosure for the tarantula. She might not be up to the chase yet.

ViperSRT

Arachnopeon
Wow I can't believe I never responded to this since! Apologies! She actually made it through everything and is still going strong! The white blob went down and is now just a bald spot on her fang. Her one leg is bent in an awkward position, but overall has not made things very difficult for her. I know it is a long time coming, but thank you again for all of your concern and assistance!

ViperSRT

Arachnopeon
Hell all,
I guess Rosie decided to molt again to repair the damage caused by the last one. I had to help cut the excess off because she was trying to flip over and could not. Her legs appear to have been "repaired" but that same fang is I believe stuck. I couldn't get pics of her on her back but the molt appears to have left one fang free and the other stuck in a molt. On top of that it appears that the moth is actually stuck in her mouth! She is moving around but it looks like that section is stuck. I will try to get a pic when I get home. Other than that she looks normal so I don't know if this is something that she can come back from.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Wow. I just read this thread for the first time. I am so glad to hear that she has survived all this time! That is fantastic!! :cat:

I hope she makes it through this molt successfully. My fingers are crossed for you, Viper. Please post photos when you can; and keep us updated.

Best wishes to Rosie :kiss:

ViperSRT

Arachnopeon
20170905_210459.jpg 20170905_210508.jpg

I hate to say I think this one is worse than the last one. It is hard to see in the pics, but her mouth is essentially a gaping hole. On fang came out, but the other is stuck in the molt which also is stuck in her mouth. I don't think she will be able to eat :(

TRection

Arachnoknight
I hope she makes it through the molt ok what a trooper, im rooting for her!

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, sometimes a bad molt makes the next molt impossible. Happened to my favorite T, a Eupalestrus campestratus I had raised for 10 years. That loss kept me from buying any new Ts for over 4 years.

Give yours a chance to recover from the molting process and reassess. It's possible she pulls through this one too.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Is her name Lucky or something? Thats the only thing i can thing of that makes animals this UNlucky.
I hope she pulls through, though! This may turn out to be a very good story to spread around!

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Ok I know it's weird to ask this but since the molt is technically still there? right? And needs to come off the other fang if I understand correctly? She may just need an increase in humidity during molting times. It's not typical Grammostola care for most of them especially the rosies... but sometimes you just run across strange situations. Invest in a bit of moss, and pour warm water over it, don't necessarily put it in where she can climb on it if you are worrying about her getting stuck on it, but put it in a bowl over her cage, and tent some aluminum foil over it. It will increase moisture levels and cause some humidity to fall into her cage. I also recommend connecting the tent to a partial cover on half her cage with some tin foil. I prefer doing it over the open part of their enclosure where their hide isn't. Also I don't shy away from misting the sides of the enclosure (not the T directly or anywhere near the T) when needed.

As far as possibly feeding and watering if she survives this and has issues eating. Blend some insects in a cheap blender or something you don't mind using, add some water to it. She will get plenty of calories from it likely once a week and some water can be given that way. ML oral syringes usually help with those kind of things. Water can be given this way to. I honestly feel like you can help her pull through this if she has the will to fight.

ViperSRT

Arachnopeon
Hi darkness,

Actually yes. she is still going. She gained the use of one fang and I think has been scavenging from fresh dead crickets. I have yet to see her actually grab one. I see her trying to pull at the bad fang almost to get it off, but she can't reach. Also one pedipalp is frozen flat and horizontal which makes it hard form her to move around. As long as she keeps going I will keep up with water and crickets. Considering how bad these two molts were, this one being far worse the the previous, Lord knows what will happen next time. I appreciate the check in!