Which would YOU (slightly) upgrade?

Phases

Arachnoknight
After upgrading our P. striata we now have an 8 x 8 x 12 available, and I'm wondering if I should upgrade one of these. 2 are settled and have been in theirs a while, but I question how happy they are and I would rather see them displayed better (than the other two) - and the other two are newer (and not yet settled) AND have larger legspan, but are just standard pink toes. One is supposed to be metallica, I outa make a thread on that here and get input.

See attached.

1. H. mac - She's made quite a little home back there, and is the smallest of them all, last measuring at 3.5". (far left). Doesn't come out too much. Far left in last picture.
453258489002374021-account_id=1.jpg

2. P. metallica - She hides behind that log, and we do have it blocked off on the back with a velcro cover, so she does have a good hiding spot. She's about 4.5". She comes out a hair more than the h. mac. Far right in last picture.
3336799068594393046-account_id=1.jpg

3. A. metallica - middle left, 5.25". Not settled. 2 weeks in enclosure, tiny amount of webbing.
4. A. avicularia - middle right, 5". Not settled. 2 weeks in enclosure, no webbing.
4218926920936388834-account_id=1.jpg

The available container is behind them. What are YOUR thoughts :)

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I would do the A. metallica. It's in need of a rehouse and they tend to get a little bigger than A. avicularia.

But, factoring in the part about wanting to display them. The P. met would obviously be the one to go with. A. metallicas and A. avicularia can be a lot prettier than you'd think though.

Phases

Arachnoknight
I would do the A. metallica. It's in need of a rehouse and they tend to get a little bigger than A. avicularia.

But, factoring in the part about wanting to display them. The P. met would obviously be the one to go with. A. metallicas and A. avicularia can be a lot prettier than you'd think though.
Let me ask this, which of them be happy in that forever, versus needing to get out of it into a 12 by 12 by 18 at some point?

I don't have my spreadsheet in front of me but I think that a Metallica gets the biggest of all of them and the hmac probably the smallest

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Let me ask this, which of them be happy in that forever, versus needing to get out of it into a 12 by 12 by 18 at some point?

I don't have my spreadsheet in front of me but I think that a Metallica gets the biggest of all of them and the hmac probably the smallest
Ya, all of them except the H. mac and A. avic would definitely end up out growing it. If your H. mac is out a lot, that would probably be the logical choice if you're looking for a display and no future rehouses.

5" is already on the big side for the A. avic too though. That could possibly end up being an A. braunshauseni or an A. avic just getting up in age.

Phases

Arachnoknight
You don't know my circumstance or context here. Most my tarantulas live like kings - however sometimes I gotta work with what I have, which is what I did. One is 3.5 inches, it's fine. (currently). The 4.5" is pushing it but not too bad either.

The other two were surprises and I worked with what I had on hand, yes they are too big for them, hence - again - this thread.

My debate is a) upgrade the 3.5 to a probably forever tank, or b) upgrade a pinktoe who needs it more in the immediate, but I might would want upgrade them again later which might be fun to avoid.

Perhaps I should leave my 3.5 until she molts, and move axit (the 4.5) who may not change much in size.

What would the ideal size tank (8 x 8 x 12 vs 12 x 12 x 18) be for each in the end?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Agreed.. what I'm trying to sort is who needs 12 x 12 x 18 vs who would be good in the 8 x 8 x 12s.

$$$!
You could go the latter size w/the Avics if they max out at 5", more if you are a NICE keeper.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Oh i am. Just running low on room lol. One is over 5".

Thoughts on hmac and gooty? They're on the smaller side currently..

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh i am. Just running low on room lol. One is over 5".

Thoughts on hmac and gooty? They're on the smaller side currently..
Poki's need more space than typical T for obvious reasons. If you don't know them, you shouldn't own it. I like to put Poki's in the final home sooner, NOT later ;)

Over 5" see my previous post.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Poki's need more space than typical T for obvious reasons. If you don't know them, you shouldn't own it. I like to put Poki's in the final home sooner, NOT later ;)

Over 5" see my previous post.
I try so hard to be amicable around here but it never fails. Why do you have to say stuff like that? I'm being polite asking your opinion inviting you to give advice which usually makes people feel pretty good. What is one of these obvious reasons? I don't know what is so obvious - cuz they get to 6+ inches in size? Because of their potent bite so when you need to do stuff it's good to have room? Because they're damn beautiful? I don't know, those are my guesses. But this whole "If you don't know the reasons in my head you shouldn't own it" comments really should be kept off the forum. People come here for help, guidance. Not to feel like they're being looked down on. Every time I think I've turned a corner with a couple of ya it happens again.

I have 28 tarantulas. (Well, one is a trapdoor). They are all treated very very well, have great enclosures - are monitored all the time, fed right, and appear quite satisfied for the most part. Def better than most would do and certainly better than what they were getting in the petstore. I have two pokies. One was in a small deli cup, as an adult. For who knows how long.

So. What I had planned on doing was putting the gooty and the A. metallica in 12 x 12 x 18 and the A. avicularia and H. mac in the 8 x 8 x 12 - for now at least - and was hoping to just kinda confirm that. And even that has to wait. I just put my other pokie in a 12 x 12 x 18 amongst everything else in life that is hitting me, so I can't just go spend another 300 right now.

Nonetheless, thanks for what was provided. I agree, final home sooner rather than later is probably good. Not because I'm worried too much about transferring, so much as I just don't want to disturb once settled, I feel bad. I honestly would just like to hear that some are HAPPIER in a the smaller, cheaper, easier to put together on bookcases, 8 x 8 x 12s. I'd go get all I needed now. But the other bigger ones, I need to kinda wait a bit. :\

Anyway.. thanks.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Ah man, you gotta quote me, else I don't see any responses.

A perfect arboreal set up is 3x the legspan for height and double for width. That's what I try to aim for everytime.

Based on what I see here, I wouldn't be so quick to agree with you on that...

Most expensive cage I ever purchased was a overpriced exo tera nano for 45 bucks.

Go to Walmart. They have a massive variety of cages for under 20 dollars. There is no excuse for too small cages with Walmart around. I could probably rehouse my entire collection for under 100 dollars using cages from Walmart.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I try so hard to be amicable around here but it never fails. Why do you have to say stuff like that? I'm being polite asking your opinion inviting you to give advice which usually makes people feel pretty good. What is one of these obvious reasons? I don't know what is so obvious - cuz they get to 6+ inches in size? Because of their potent bite so when you need to do stuff it's good to have room? Because they're damn beautiful? I don't know, those are my guesses. But this whole "If you don't know the reasons in my head you shouldn't own it" comments really should be kept off the forum. People come here for help, guidance. Not to feel like they're being looked down on. Every time I think I've turned a corner with a couple of ya it happens again.

I have 28 tarantulas. (Well, one is a trapdoor). They are all treated very very well, have great enclosures - are monitored all the time, fed right, and appear quite satisfied for the most part. Def better than most would do and certainly better than what they were getting in the petstore. I have two pokies. One was in a small deli cup, as an adult. For who knows how long.

So. What I had planned on doing was putting the gooty and the A. metallica in 12 x 12 x 18 and the A. avicularia and H. mac in the 8 x 8 x 12 - for now at least - and was hoping to just kinda confirm that. And even that has to wait. I just put my other pokie in a 12 x 12 x 18 amongst everything else in life that is hitting me, so I can't just go spend another 300 right now.

Nonetheless, thanks for what was provided. I agree, final home sooner rather than later is probably good. Not because I'm worried too much about transferring, so much as I just don't want to disturb once settled, I feel bad. I honestly would just like to hear that some are HAPPIER in a the smaller, cheaper, easier to put together on bookcases, 8 x 8 x 12s. I'd go get all I needed now. But the other bigger ones, I need to kinda wait a bit. :\

Anyway.. thanks.

I said what I did due to time and because I'm a proponent of people using their critical thinking skills as opposed to spoon feeding at times.

You knew the right answers.

If you go larger drop them into sterilite ;) until you can put them into something more to your liking.

Re space, a 5" T esp a fast one is out the door before you can react in an 8", even 12". But the 12 gives you a tad more distance for husbandry.

Do you want a nervous Poki? Or a more secure one ;)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Go to Walmart. They have a massive variety of cages for under 20 dollars. There is no excuse for too small cages with Walmart around. I could probably rehouse my entire collection for under 100 dollars using cages from Walmart.
I literally just the other week spent $100 on 24 of the containers I like for arboreals, in different sizes. They had a sale where you got 25% off and free shipping over $99. That works out about $4.17 per enclosure, not including the hides/substrate/etcetera. DIY is the way to go when you can do it. I don't even need them right now, but when my specimens get bigger I will.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Indeed ;) I'm really only trying to spark converation. Most our enclosures are from Container Store items.. if you have one around definitely should check it out!

We haven't much looked into it for that size I guess, we've liked these enough and said eff it a couple times so.. :)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I would definitly say rehouse the avics first. They seem huge for the cage they are in. Both could love in forever homes of 12x12x18". As for the H. mac and pokie, they could probably wait. They seem alright in the tanks they are in. They aren't super clear pics, but pokies and H. macs IME tend to hide a lot more. My calceatum usually never comes out, and she doesn't use all of her space. The avics, from what I have seen, like to make big web canopies. I think they would be better as a display, since you will actually see them often ;) The others are going to be a pain, and I usually like to wait until they absolutely need a new cage. I would rehouse them when they get the size of those avics (maybe a tiny bit smaller). Lovely spiders though :D I just went and bought some Walmart containers, they are great displays as long as you get the clear ones.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Even 12 x 12 x 18s sized? What kind of lids/openings? I'll have to look! Wal-Mart is a lot closer than the Container store.