Which veggies can isopod eat?

Veno Manus

Arachnobaron
They eat vegetables!? Healthy little guys haha. I have no idea on that one I've never heard of that. My Androctonus scorpion tried eating a fake plant once and that definitely threw me off. Lol

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
I fed carrots, rinsed and peeled. They also seemed to be a big fan of shelled hemp seed. Roach chow was one they just vacuumed up. They LOVE bee pollen

Veno Manus

Arachnobaron
Well I feel like an idiot 😅 I read Spoods instead of Isopods. Guess I gotta slow down. I was like what is this person talking about!? Spiders don't eat vegetables!? Lol woooooow look at my dyslexia go! Hahah

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Well I feel like an idiot 😅 I read Spoods instead of Isopods. Guess I gotta slow down. I was like what is this person talking about!? Spiders don't eat vegetables!? Lol woooooow look at my dyslexia go! Hahah
funny misread! :rofl:
It’s weird I found an old thread and the op fed his celery and they didn’t die like mine.

The Snailkeeper

Arachnopeon
Celery is basically just water and will give them very little nutritional value. Honestly, I think the deaths are a coincidence unless you used non-organic celery. I feed my isopods carrots, sunflower seeds, and peas; sometimes I'll feed them lettuce as a treat but it doesn't have much nutritional value, as it is mostly water in a similar nature to lettuce.

September Rose

Arachnopeon
I feed mine zucchini, squash, carrots and algae from my fishtank. I had some parsley growing on my balcony and they enjoyed some of that too!

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
funny misread! :rofl:
It’s weird I found an old thread and the op fed his celery and they didn’t die like mine.
Maybe chlorine in the tap water?

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
It's possible whoever produced it used a pesticide that was worked into the plant itself during growth.

Can't wash that off.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It's possible whoever produced it used a pesticide that was worked into the plant itself during growth.

Can't wash that off.
Yeh most of it was fed to roaches and mealworms none died must just a bad peice loaded with pesticides as you guessed.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter

Can't wash that off.
This. Some sprays do indeed enter the fruit/vegetable below the skin. If you feed the base of something like celery, gravity works its magic and all the spray settles down to the base and concentrates in the cracks. One of the reasons we buy organic for certain crops. Brassica, celery, lettuces etc.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
This. Some sprays do indeed enter the fruit/vegetable below the skinny. If you fee the base of something like celery, gravity works its magic and all the spray settles down to the base and concentrates in the cracks. One of the reasons we buy organic for certain crops. Brassica, celery, lettuces etc.
Organic is really expensive only specialty stores have it I only had a regular, which could be why the isopods died.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
If you live near forests/wild areas that aren't sprayed you can probably easily find wild foods. They should have lots of leaves, wood etc anyway.

However I guess depending on how many you have you may still have to buy it. Expensive or not, it's the keepers responsibility. Probably 1 organic Carrot is only 1 or 2 dollars and you can cut into pieces and freeze the Unused parts for later. Probably cost pennies a week unless you have loads of isopods. I have maybe 200 isopods and one large Carrot lasts a month. All the other food is free.

Alternatively, you could grow a few simple veggies in a pot. Easy, fast, cheap and chemical free

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
If you live near forests/wild areas that aren't sprayed you can probably easily find wild foods. They should have lots of leaves, wood etc anyway.

However I guess depending on how many you have you may still have to buy it. Expensive or not, it's the keepers responsibility. Probably 1 organic Carrot is only 1 or 2 dollars and you can cut into prices and freeze the Un used part. Probably cost pennies a week unless you have loads of isopods
only have pill bugs left And the small ones might have died or borrowed.