Which to buy-A.geniculata or G.pulchripes?

Opinions?

• A.geniculata

Votes: 25 55.6%
  • G.pulchripes

Votes: 20 44.4%

• Total voters

cold blood

Staff member
It was kept in one of those Jamie's terrestrial sling enclosures when I got it at about 3/4s an inch, and it was fed small crickets about the same size as its abdomen if not smaller, iirc.

However, it could have just gone through a long premolt phase - the place I lived at the time was on the lower end of tolerable temperatures and the sling was always down in its little hole it made under its cork bark, so I couldn't see how fat it was.

Now i'm seeming to have the opposite issue - it's about 2 inches or so and all it wants to do is eat, the darn thing won't go into premolt! :rofl:

(She's no longer getting fed until she molts)
Ahhh, yeah, there's runts sometimes....I will admit, I have one like that..it was part of my experiment regarding housing size, it was one of the ones that was in an over size enclosures that didn't grow in the first year (almost)...it was the only one that never caught up and never ate good....so it can happen.

For a small sling, I see that enclosure as a bit "over sized" as well.....closer to the 16oz deli than the condiment cup.

Frodo240203

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the replies! I will probably settle on getting an A.geniculata sling and an adult G.pulchripes. However, can I confirm that the G.pulchripes do not burrow?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Thanks for the replies! I will probably settle on getting an A.geniculata sling and an adult G.pulchripes. However, can I confirm that the G.pulchripes do not burrow?
They do as small slings but IME (and many others) they quit doing so in the juvenile-adult stage. :)

Rob1985

This user has no status.
If you don't like getting haired... like a lot... then G. pulchripes is the better choice. However, if that doesn't matter and you want a T that always eats and usually out in the open, get an A. genic!

If this is the case, A. geniculata ALL day long!
My female hides more than my Scorps. My specimen isn't a good display T. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
In the age old internet tradition of recommending what you've got, I can only recommend the genic as I've not kept a G.pulchripes. But my genic is a cool little T, about 6cm leg span, is always out and eats as much as most of my adults/sub-adults.

shaneshac

Arachnosquire
Both my pulchripes and geniculatas spent their day outside. I have seen some pulchripes spending time inside their hide where all adult geniculatas i have seen are out in the open unless they plan to moult. Having said that Acanthoscurria hair makes me itch like mad so that is something to consider if you are usually affected by urticating hair

Frodo240203

Arachnosquire
Thanks for your help everyone. Can I check whether both T’s are supposed to be kept on bone dry substrate? In particular, the substrate requirements for the pulchripes?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Thanks for your help everyone. Can I check whether both T’s are supposed to be kept on bone dry substrate? In particular, the substrate requirements for the pulchripes?
I keep my juvenile G. pulchripes dry and occasionally overflow the waterdish just a pinch. Adults do just fine dry with a waterdish. A. geniculata appreciate their moisture, I keep about half of my little guy's substrate damp and his waterdish full.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
If you don't like getting haired... like a lot... then G. pulchripes is the better choice. However, if that doesn't matter and you want a T that always eats and usually out in the open, get an A. genic!

My female hides more than my Scorps. My specimen isn't a good display T. lol
Ah, the differences in individual specimens. The only time my Genic has ever kicked hairs was when I opened her shipping vial (bought as a juvie female two years ago), and she is never, repeat never in her hide. She even molts out in the open. Now, my G. pulchripes disappeared for several weeks, and has only ventured out (less than 75% of the time) within the past couple months.

Cycle of Chaos

Arachnopeon
I may be in the minority here but I love G pulchripes!. I have a male and female, and the gold stripes are stunning. I only have a male Genic but it looks similar to my Nhandus so I may be bias. I will say my Genic is really fun to watch and a little stinker. Both of mine are always out and visible although I use my pulchripes for demonstrations due to how calm she is.

Actually never-mind...get both, each species has its own unique behavior and colors. There really is no right or wrong answer. My first spider was a rosehair about 16 years ago and I wouldn't trade her for anything, she's like an old grumpy grandma.

I received a p cambridgei as a freebe and never got to excited about it as I thought they were kinda drab. She's now one of my favorites and love her greenish color with the orange highlights.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I have no particular preference but I'd say the acanthoscurria geniculata purely because that's what I'm going for next and I already have a grammostola pulchripes

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I really like them both! Hard to pick a choice! Why dont you buy both!?:angelic: