Which tarantulas do you see yourself never owning?

cpenno

Arachnopeon
Stromatopelma calceatum, it appears to be quite a nasty species and I don't think it's worth it for how it looks, there is definitely much nicer looking and more pleasant T's out there.

basin79

ArachnoGod
But they don't look like that in real life! They look like a colorful speck. And don't tempt me with those beautiful pics of yours :rolleyes:.
I never really thought about the dwarves before but so glad I bit the bullet.

But yes they're very small. The water dish in the pics is 3cm across.

keks

Arachnobaron
Yep...gorgeous...under magnification.:shifty:
You need glasses?? :p I can see my Cyriocosmus inclusive their nice patterns ^^. I love them.

I love that.

It's like "wait, ain't poor... just differently rich" :)
Everything is a question of point of view :).

I can't tell what tarantula I never want to own, I have broken many of my own rules in the last months :bag:. But I know that I never want to own some true spiders, for example widows.

cold blood

Staff member
You need glasses??
Maybe...I'm no spring chicken any more. In the past year I have found tying knots quickly to be more difficult than it used to be.....and seperating chromatus slings meant wearing reading glasses.

Matoutou

Tarantula enthusiast
I killed an escaping P. smithi when trying to catch it. I decided I'd never own a pokie after that. I have baboons and I love them, I'm just irrationally scared of the Poecilotheria genus.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I am very curious as to which tarantulas you see yourself never owning.
I'm not sure I would absolutely write off any species if the price was low enough (provided I have the space and the experience to care for it).

But right now, if there was one genus I wouldn't seek out, it's Theraphosa simply due to their urticating hairs.

I also wouldn't pay more than $100 for an unsexed spider.

basin79

ArachnoGod
But they don't look like that in real life! They look like a colorful speck. And don't tempt me with those beautiful pics of yours :rolleyes:.
This is a double post but thought it was worthy to show you what you're missing.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
This was a cool thread and the results were all over the place. Thank you everyone who commented. I also apologize if I offended anyone. In my defense I said 40$ to user 666 and someone thought I said 400$, eluersk I believe. I didn't mean to come off as arogant by any means. But I asked a simple question and I got stupid answers from user666. Anyways like I said I am sorry if I came of rude I really do love being a member on arachnoboards. You guys are awesome. Thanks again.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
honestly,
You need glasses?? :p I can see my Cyriocosmus inclusive their nice patterns ^^. I love them.

Everything is a question of point of view :).

I can't tell what tarantula I never want to own, I have broken many of my own rules in the last months :bag:. But I know that I never want to own some true spiders, for example widows.
honestly, i would widows a chance, like anything as long as you respect it, they are pretty easy.

I've found with widows, its all about their webs. when ever it comes to anything with them, just know where there webs are placed, as unlike tarantulas, they will prefer to go where they have a web to hang from. usually.

they can be fast, and they are a hot species, but I've noticed the bites are compatible to most OW baboons, and they are for the most part, a lot easier to predict movement wise.

plus they are absolutely beautiful when it comes to the Mature Females AND they have some pretty awesome feeding responses.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
but as far as any tarantula i would not own, the only things i truly am not interested in owning are Rose Hairs and most any of the Theraphosa simply because of the Hairs. their size and care requirements dont bother me much at all, but those hairs are annoying.

after owning a LP, i probably wouldn't own another either, as even their hairs are just hard to deal with. even with wearing large gloves(those old school Yellow heavy duty cleaning ones) and with long sleeves and pants, i still find my self aching after even the most basic cleaning/feeding of her tank, and I've heard that Theraphosa hairs make Lasiodora's seem fun by comparison.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have absolutely zero interest in owning any nw terrestrial so i dont think ill ever own one again. <edit>

Last edited by a moderator:

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I have absolutely zero interest in owning any nw terrestrial so i dont think ill ever own one again. <edit>
I'm the same way bud. I am only interested in old world fossorials. I have 6 now but that's not nearly enough. Are you into old world arboreals or fossorals?

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Consideration of price is a very real adult concern. Some of us can't justify spending $400 on a bug. However, I do dream of being in your financial situation one day. It's the reason I'm in school :)

For me, it's anything from Avicularia or related genera. I'm not a fan of arboreals to begin with, but arboreals with no attitude? No thanks. I want my spiders to actively try to kill me, not nuzzle their bum against me as a form of defense.
I used to not be too crazy about avilularia/ybyrapora/and whatever the carabeana (or however it's spelled). But they are starting to grow on my. They are fairly unique in their behavior and you can't argue with the colors!

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Y
I used to not be too crazy about avilularia/ybyrapora/and whatever the carabeana (or however it's spelled). But they are starting to grow on my. They are fairly unique in their behavior and you can't argue with the colors!
You see that's what I am talking about. <edit> Some of the avics are cool so I will have to agree with you.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
For me I can't really ever see me owning any more cyriopagopus. After breeding lividus and having a number of the species (lividus, vonworthi, minax, and "big black") I can say they are not interesting species. They are interesting for the first week as they renovate and make the enclosure their own, but once theyre comfortable, then you just have a box of Webby dirt.

Im also not crazy about Theraphosa. Ugly species with an overrated reputation and an even more overrated pricetag. Although im not crazy about them. I know it's only a matter of time until I add stirmi to my horde.

As others have said, I'll probably never get a Grammostola again. I'm having a hard enough time selling breeding pairs