Which tarantula species do you currently keep?

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Very lovely looking! All the the Aphonopelma genus, except seemanni, are non-existent in Canada. I really lucked out with my A.chalcodes female... big time. I would get an A.anax if they were available. I find them very attractive.
I didn't know that! They seem prevalent in the US so I made assumptions. Typical American :bucktooth:I'm so grateful that this was the T I bought when I knew pretty much nothing about Ts and got a petco tarantula hut. I could have ended up with an OBT!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I didn't know that! They seem prevalent in the US so I made assumptions. Typical American :bucktooth:I'm so grateful that this was the T I bought when I knew pretty much nothing about Ts and got a petco tarantula hut. I could have ended up with an OBT!
It is easier for you because they are indigenous, but they are not easy to import. Canada only has three major dealers who regularly import from the U.S., and abroad, and the demand is not very high for them in Canada. Plus, I was speaking to one of our dealers and was told that the majority of them being offered for import are WC and that is not supported very much by our dealers. They do have a handful of WC, but they would prefer to import CB.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Here's my huuge list
Aphonopelma chalcodes F
Aphonopelma seemani BCF F
Avicularia avicularia M
Brachypelma albopilosum F
Euathlus sp. Red F (or should I say
'Homoeomma' hehe)
Grammostola pulcripes too young to sex. Actually too busy wreaking havoc with his/her sub to get a peek.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
My current List goes as follows(basicly copy and pasted from profile).
But i agree with previous posters it is nice to see what Many other people have and even hear the reasonings behind it - i am also a somewhat obvlious american who wouldnt have known about There not being many Aphonopelma in canada(somethign i take for granted living in arizona)
i mean, well, if i had known that i would have started breeding them and finding ways to get them up there responsibly. you can walk into almost any shop or expo here in AZ and find almost Any Aphonopelma for 10-20$ (paid 22$ for a ~3.5-4" confirmed female A. Chalodes and 40$ each for confirmed female, 4" aphonopelma bicoloratum a for freind that couldnt make it to the Expo )

Present:
12 Tarantulas:

0.1.0 -- B. albopilosum 5", -
1.0.0 -- A. geniculate 6", -
0.1.0 -- L. Parahybana 6.5", -
1.0.0 -- A. Avic 4+" -
0.1.0 -- E. pachypus 2.5" -
0.0.1 -- P. murinus "OBT" 3.5"
0.0.1 -- C. cyaneopubescens 4"
0.1.0 -- A. Chalodes 3.5"
0.0.1 -- Hapalopus sp. Colombia(Small) ~2"
0.0.1 -- Theraphosinae sp panama - .75" -
0.0.1-- B. Vegans - Sling - .5"
0.0.1 -- O. Phillilipinus - 1"

Other Invert's:
0.0.1 Wolf Spider- wild caught (Hogna carolinensis) - 1"
1.0.0 --Stagmomantis limbata -arizona green Mantis 3" -
1.0.0 -- Heterometrus spinifer -asian forest scorpion- 4.5"
3.4.0 -- Wild Caught Bark Scorpion (Centruroides sculpturatus)ranging from .75" to 2.5"
Current Communal Set up doing wonderfully.

Reptiles:
0.1.0 bearded dragon, female sub-adult. Soon be be Breed Ready!

1.0.0 Brown "bahaman" anole(Anolis sagrei) - Male
1.0.0 green anole (Anolis carolinensis) - Male
living happily together in a group enclosure.

1.1.0 Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliates) - Male & Female - Sub adults.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
paid 22$ for a ~3.5-4" confirmed female A. Chalodes
I paid $140cdn for my 4" female A.chalcodes - she was being sold from a private collection.
I would have paid a lot more for her than I did... she is worth every penny and I adore her.
DSC05140-2-2.jpg

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
You don't have to wear your seat belt in the US?
They are mandatory in my country, not wearing them while driving can get you heavily fined, and in case of an accident, not wearing one can result in insurance not covering all costs.
In Taiwan, no one really cares if you are wearing your seatbelt or not. The drivers are all kinda reckless, and the police aren't very strict. I was laughed at for putting on my seatbelt in a car full of Taiwanese relatives. Most people there use motorcycles, and sometimes you will see a literal family of 4-5 people clinging to eachother on a motorcycle built for 2 people max. Just kinda weird how different driving rules/customs are around the world.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
In Taiwan, no one really cares if you are wearing your seatbelt or not. The drivers are all kinda reckless, and the police aren't very strict. I was laughed at for putting on my seatbelt in a car full of Taiwanese relatives. Most people there use motorcycles, and sometimes you will see a literal family of 4-5 people clinging to eachother on a motorcycle built for 2 people max. Just kinda weird how different driving rules/customs are around the world.
Yeah, when I visited Taipei, I cringed at how they drove. There is also less care for peoples safety. A dude was walking on the sidewalk and he was almost flattened by a delivery truck that just zoomed in. While riding a cab there I noted they drove worse than the New York cabbies. Those guys can get crazy.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Yeah, when I visited Taipei, I cringed at how they drove. There is also less care for peoples safety. A dude was walking on the sidewalk and he was almost flattened by a delivery truck that just zoomed in. While riding a cab there I noted they drove worse than the New York cabbies. Those guys can get crazy.
Yup, especially when contrasted where I live here in the U.S. -- sleepy town/city of 15,000 where everyone drives really slow and always watches out for pedestrians.

People over in Taiwan are also much more quick to go through red lights. Doesn't help the pedestrians that there are hardly any sidewalks in many places, and where there are sidewalks, it's either taken over by some shops, or has a bunch of cars/motorcycles parked on it. In Taipei there are usually sidewalks, but if you head out to other cities like Taichung, you'll see most streets dont even have sidewalks.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Yup, especially when contrasted where I live here in the U.S. -- sleepy town/city of 15,000 where everyone drives really slow and always watches out for pedestrians.

People over in Taiwan are also much more quick to go through red lights. Doesn't help the pedestrians that there are hardly any sidewalks in many places, and where there are sidewalks, it's either taken over by some shops, or has a bunch of cars/motorcycles parked on it. In Taipei there are usually sidewalks, but if you head out to other cities like Taichung, you'll see most streets dont even have sidewalks.
I loved Puerto Rico where side walks and emergency lanes are fair game and it is perfectly okay to shut down a whole lane of traffic to get your place in line for the traffic going the other direction. One of our guys at work was in a wreck because someone from the right lane decided to turn left when the traffic light changed.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
lazy lazy:smug:
:shifty:

0.1 P. striata
0.1 A chalcodes
0.1 H. incei
1.1.1 C. fimbriatus
1.0.1 A. geniculata
0.1 N. coloratovillosus
1.3 G. pulchripes
1.0 P. cancerides
0.1 E. sp. "Green"
2.1 E. truculentus
0.1 P. sp. "Black"
1.1 L. parahybana
0.0.1 P. scrofa
0.0.2 A. ezendami
0.1.1 P. cambridgei
1.0 C. argentinense
1.0.1 H. maculata
0.1.1 B. smithi
0.1.1 P. murinus
0.0.1 P. muticus
0.0.1 P. sazimai
0.1 B. emilia
0.1.1 B. albopilosum
0.1 G. porteri
0.0.1 N. chromatus
1.1.1 B. vagans
0.1 H. sp. "Columbia"
0.0.1 L. difficilus
0.1 A. seemanni
0.1 C. darlingi
0.0.1 H. gigas
1.0 M. robustum
1.2 M. balfouri
0.1 B. boehmei
0.1 T. stirmi

And a closet full of roaches. Happy?

Last edited:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek

0.1 P. striata
0.1 A chalcodes
0.1 H. incei
1.1.1 C. fimbriatus
1.0.1 A. geniculata
0.1 N. coloratovillosus
1.3 G. pulchripes
1.0 P. cancerides
0.1 E. sp. "Green"
2.0.1. E. truculentus
0.1 P. sp. "Black"
1.1 L. parahybana
0.0.1 P. scrofa
0.0.2 A. ezendami
0.1.1 P. cambridgei
1.0.1 H. maculata
0.1.1 B. smithi
0.1.1 P. murinus
0.0.1 H. gigas
0.0.1 P. muticus
0.0.1 P. sazimai
0.1 B. emilia
0.1.1 B. albopilosum
0.1 G. porteri
0.0.1 N. chromatus
1.1.1 B. vagans
0.1 H. sp. "Columbia"
0.0.1 L. difficilus
0.1 A. chalcodes
0.1 C. darlingi
0.0.1 H. gigas
1.0 M. robustum
1.2 M. balfouri
0.1 B. boehmei
0.1 T. stirmi

2.0.1. E. truculentus What happened here?? :bucktooth:

Walker253

Arachnobaron

0.1 P. striata
0.1 A chalcodes
0.1 H. incei
1.1.1 C. fimbriatus
1.0.1 A. geniculata
0.1 N. coloratovillosus
1.3 G. pulchripes
1.0 P. cancerides
2.1 E. sp. "Green"
0.1 E. truculentus
0.1 P. sp. "Black"
1.1 L. parahybana
0.0.1 P. scrofa
0.0.2 A. ezendami
0.1.1 P. cambridgei
1.0.1 H. maculata
0.1.1 B. smithi
0.1.1 P. murinus
0.0.1 H. gigas
0.0.1 P. muticus
0.0.1 P. sazimai
0.1 B. emilia
0.1.1 B. albopilosum
0.1 G. porteri
0.0.1 N. chromatus
1.1.1 B. vagans
0.1 H. sp. "Columbia"
0.0.1 L. difficilus
0.1 A. chalcodes
0.1 C. darlingi
0.0.1 H. gigas
1.0 M. robustum
1.2 M. balfouri
0.1 B. boehmei
0.1 T. stirmi

You listed the H. gigas twice......lololol, just busting your balls.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
See signature. Though admittedly, it is possible that a new one will get added today. I have a juvenile enclosure free...

cold blood

Staff member
I'm pretty sure its against forum rules to have your list in your sig area....they want that list to be on your profile page.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
Fixed.

Here it was:
0.1.1 Lasiodora klugi
0.0.1 Lasiodora parahybana
0.0.1 Avicularia purpurea
0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
1.0 Nhandu chromatus
0.0.1 Tapinauchenius sp. Caribbean Diamond
0.1 Aphonopelma chalcodes
0.1 Ceratogyrus marshalli