1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which T has more potent venom, Cobalt Blue or Horned Baboon?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by TarantulaLord, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoprince Active Member

Advertisement
    Lol, I added something about NW getting defensive as well when disturbed in their burrows, but edited it last minute to stay on topic for a change :D

• Love Love x 1
  2. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoknight Active Member

That's doesn't make their venom any more potent, just means they are more defensive. The venom potency of Theraphosidea is largely unknown for the most part, all we have are reports of people being bitten to rely on, no real conclusive evidence to back up your claim.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoking Active Member

I love that you written 'dea'. Dea in Italian means 'Goddess', so... praise the Goddess! :pompous:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love Love x 2
  4. Chris LXXIX

Well, as you said we have the bite reports only (and assuming that all of those were fair enough and not hyped, of course) to rely on since majority of us never got tagged, but from the little I was able to know in all of my T's years, is that on a mere one "Bite VS Bite" one talking only, the blue thugs are more potent than a Ceratogyrus darlingi or a C.marshalli.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nightstalker47

I agree, the C.lividus would of been my guess as well. But it isn't a fact that lividus is worse... we have no clue which one is more potent.

6. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoprince Active Member

An interesting take and some papers on Theraphosidae venom is discussed in the sticky 'tarantula venom and anaphylaxis' in the subforum 'tarantula questions and discussions'. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

Bite reports ive read lead me to believe lividus is much more painful and for a longer time. And it seems more likely to cause conditions that send people to the ER...like nausea and heart palpatations.

Most Ceratogryus bites just describe pain, and not for extended time periods like with lividus and other Asians.

The reports ive read for Ceratogryus dont seem all that severe in comparison.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoprince Active Member

Yes, yes she did :shifty:

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoprince Active Member

Yes it is safe an sound and she sold today :)

• Like Like x 4
  10. Chris LXXIX

^ ^ Ah ah I love the 'shifty' face especially when combined with Andrea82 'smh' :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

wow, ignorant nut.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Nightstalker47

Yeah well thats exactly my point, some people are far more sensitive to pain then others, and many may of only been bit by a single species and have nothing else to reference it to.

All these bite reports are based of a single persons perception, some could describe it as terrible and others as mild. There is a huge gap in individual perception of pain, wether were talking braking bones or getting tagged by a venomous T. When you go out and say "out of the question...lividus is worse" your stating things as fact, and that's inaccurate. I agree that lividus is probably worse but I'm not saying it is without question. The only way you could accurately know this is if you've been bit by both species.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. cold blood

what i referenced was more than just pain for lividus....yes pain levels differ, but those extra effects above just simple pain is why lividus is worse.

Im talking about heart/breathing issues associated with Asian bites...those things that change a persons view from, i will just wait it out, to i gotta go to the hospital.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Nightstalker47

What is there to disagree with? Everything I stated was true, clearly we aren't on the same page.

Would you trust someone to give you medicine if all you knew about the medicine was different accounts of people's experiences using it? Would you trust one persons reaction saying it's more powerful then the next person? I think not, you would want some real evidence, something that has been studied and proven to be safe to use.

I look at venom potency the same way, if it hasn't been proven scientifically I won't trust that one spider is 100% more venomous then the next merely based on opinions, individual perception, etc...

15. Grimmdreadly

Grimmdreadly Arachnopeon Active Member

It's something I've done a few times with species such as L.violocepes, P.Ruffilata, C.Darlingi, C. Marshalli, and A.Enzedami with no problems. But I got way too cocky. I haven't done that in years, though

16. Chris LXXIX

I don't disagree. I mean, your points are valid. While starting from the premise that, again, for me the blue eight legged are more baddy on that sense (I didn't heard about those kinda heart side effects with genus Ceratogyrus bites) every of us are different at the end of the day.

We have a different height, age, weight, disease/s (yes, disease/s... there's people out there that thinks to be perfectly healthy but maybe they aren't so healthy) and, of course, pain individual perception level that, while in good faith, can 'cloud' a bit the bite reports we read and we have to rely on at the end.

• Like Like x 1
  17. cold blood

the disagree was accidental...didnt notice i bumped it...i hate having to use my phone.

i do disagree though...what people say and experience is what we have to gauge it on...you simply cannot discount the best proof because you have trust issues with people...lol.

ive trusted people to give medicine lots of times...lol...not strangers mind you. bacically yes to all that "would you"....lmao

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Chris LXXIX

And I miss your old style pics... kinda sort of genuine old of once :-/

:troll:

• Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  19. cold blood

you mean the pics i got made fun of for posting?:shifty:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  20. Jeff23

Jeff23 Arachnolord Arachnosupporter

Unfortunately there are no lab tests for humans because none of you were willing to volunteer.

Some tests that were done occurred for mice. Neither T mentioned in this thread is listed in that test. But Cyriopagopus paganus, Ceratogyrus marshalli, and Ceratogyrus brachycephalus are listed in the laboratory test.

The kill time for the mouse for both Ceratogyrus is a lot longer than for the Cyriopagopus. The test is further interesting in that a a couple NW T's included in that test can kill a mouse faster than these Ceratogyrus species.

Of course this doesn't translate to the impact on a human at all. Having said that, it most certainly would impact my decision if I was forced to choose which one will be allowed to bite me. I would choose Ceratogyrus to bite me before Cyriopagopus any day based on available information.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1