Which T has more potent venom, Cobalt Blue or Horned Baboon?

TarantulaLord

Arachnopeon
no worries haha and i agree.
where did you get your spiders from? they may have just wanted to sell you a expensive cage.
To be honest that sounds very possible. Most of my tarantulas are just from pet shops. Some are from breeders, but come to think of it I've always had Viv's set up and ready before buying, and of course the Viv's were from the reptile store. Also I guess sometimes Reptile shops may not have the best knowledge due to the sheer amount of species they stock.

TarantulaLord

Arachnopeon
Taking one from any baboon isn't a honeymoon. My E.pachypus got me while I was digging out its water dish. It was in the bottom of its burrow(I rather like the design of their burrows) so I just stuck my hand in and grabbed said bottle cap. Next thing I knew it sank it's fangs into my thumb. E.pachypus is the "starter baboon", and that still hurt like a son of a..
I dont actually know much about stout legs myself, but I'd imagine they could still give a pretty painful bite like most baboons.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
no worries haha and i agree.
where did you get your spiders from? they may have just wanted to sell you a expensive cage.
I tell people who buy animals from me not to go to those big chain pet stores that will not be named (one that says PETs have a LAND and offers DISCOUNTS, one that implies they're Pet intelligent, and one that says it's "where the pets go) because they could care less about your animal, they just want to push you into buying expensive products you don't need

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
To be honest that sounds very possible. Most of my tarantulas are just from pet shops. Some are from breeders, but come to think of it I've always had Viv's set up and ready before buying, and of course the Viv's were from the reptile store. Also I guess sometimes Reptile shops may not have the best knowledge due to the sheer amount of species they stock.
yeah, pet stores make the most money when they sell you a bunch of unneeded junk along with the tarantula. my most recent pet store acquisition would of costed me 3x what i payed for the spider if i didnt know what i was doing.
not to mention 99% of pet stores have little to no idea when it comes to the care of tarantulas.
my cages cost me no more than like 15 bucks apiece. (plastic boxes of all shapes and sizes)

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I dont actually know much about stout legs myself, but I'd imagine they could still give a pretty painful bite like most baboons.
It's rather painful. It's not an S.Calceatum/H.Maculata bite, but it's definitely no slouch. It'll hold it's own in battle.

TarantulaLord

Arachnopeon
I tell people who buy animals from me not to go to those big chain pet stores that will not be named (one that says PETs have a LAND and offers DISCOUNTS, one that implies they're Pet intelligent, and one that says it's "where the pets go) because they could care less about your animal, they just want to push you into buying expensive products you don't need
It was only my first few T's I got from reptile shops, more recently I prefer buying from breeders as they tend to have healthier animals and have more info.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
yeah, pet stores make the most money when they sell you a bunch of unneeded junk along with the tarantula. my most recent pet store acquisition would of costed me 3x what i payed for the spider if i didnt know what i was doing.
not to mention 99% of pet stores have little to no idea when it comes to the care of tarantulas.
my cages cost me no more than like 15 bucks apiece. (plastic boxes of all shapes and sizes)
That's what I say, I can take 20 bucks and head to Walmart and come out with quite a few enclos. I especially like those 1 quart mainstays plastic jars for my juvenile and subadult arboreals.

TarantulaLord

Arachnopeon
I can't remember where, but I actually heard a story of a pet store owner who was speaking to a customer, and mentioned that most of the Tarantulas they got in died shortly after. He said he would find them just laying on their backs and throw them in the trash. He was completely shocked when the customer informed him that they were on their backs preparing to molt. Just goes to show how uninformed mainstream pet shops can be as you guys have mentioned. Quite sad really.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I can't remember where, but I actually heard a story of a pet store owner who was speaking to a customer, and mentioned that most of the Tarantulas they got in died shortly after. He said he would find them just laying on their backs and throw them in the trash. He was completely shocked when the customer informed him that they were on their backs preparing to molt. Just goes to show how uninformed mainstream pet shops can be as you guys have mentioned. Quite sad really.
My local pet shop had E.Murinus on those reptile grass mats that you could buy with about ten crickets in the enclosure. I told them what they were doing wrong. The good thing is they quickly rectified the situation...Ive also had that young lady for about three years now. She's happy down in her moist burrow.

TarantulaLord

Arachnopeon
My local pet shop had E.Murinus on those reptile grass mats that you could buy with about ten crickets in the enclosure. I told them what they were doing wrong. The good thing is they quickly rectified the situation...Ive also had that young lady for about three years now. She's happy down in her moist burrow.
I'm glad to her she's in good hands now! I nearly bought a skeleton recently actually, but she sold before I could snatch her up.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I'm glad to her she's in good hands now! I nearly bought a skeleton recently actually, but she sold before I could snatch her up.
Thank you sir. She's my favourite, but don't tell my P.cambridgei or my S.calceatum. If you like an nw that thinks it's a baboon, Ephebopus are definitely the Ts for you. I'm just having a hard time finding a male

TarantulaLord

Arachnopeon
Thank you sir. She's my favourite, but don't tell my P.cambridgei or my S.calceatum. If you like an nw that thinks it's a baboon, Ephebopus are definitely the Ts for you. I'm just having a hard time finding a male
They really are such a unique species, especially as their urticating hairs
They certainly are a unique species! I find it really cool that they have their urticating hairs on their pedipalps.

cold blood

Staff member
It's hardly 'endorsing' unsuitable conditions if the person was unaware of their mistake in the first place. I just find it funny that I am only now being informed of such an issue, when multiple other tarantula keepers have actually suggested the exo Terra cubes for the larger terrestrial species. I'm not trying to disprove your point, but you shouldn't be scorning me for keeping my spiders how I was suggested to do so. Its not like I was purposefully keeping them in unsuitable conditions. The best I can do is correct my mistakes, and move on.
i wasnt scorning, i was informing and explaining.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Everyone reaction is different but I imagine either of these species be harsh. I had old lady customer open an enclosure and grab C. lividus today. She could barely walk stairs let alone handle a bite. It bolted wn I had the dogs in. I was angry as hell

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I had old lady customer open an enclosure and grab C. lividus today. She could barely walk stairs let alone handle a bite.
Ah ah, reminds me of an Italian old Lady that loved to leech my cigarettes: in her late 80, walking bad but smoking Marlboro Red like nothing :-s

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Everyone reaction is different but I imagine either of these species be harsh. I had old lady customer open an enclosure and grab C. lividus today. She could barely walk stairs let alone handle a bite. It bolted wn I had the dogs in. I was angry as hell
Sorry, grabbed a C lividus? Like pick up the spider with her hands!?

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
WHAT??!!!! :eek: Did you get it back?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Taking one from any baboon isn't a honeymoon. My E.pachypus got me while I was digging out its water dish. It was in the bottom of its burrow(I rather like the design of their burrows) so I just stuck my hand in and grabbed said bottle cap. Next thing I knew it sank it's fangs into my thumb. E.pachypus is the "starter baboon", and that still hurt like a son of a..
Not to be rude or anything...but that was not the smartest thing to do. Hands have no business in an OW Theraphosidae enclosure, no matter how 'starter'-friendly they are. I would have just left the old waterdish and added a new one.