Which sp. is most physically similar to T. Blondii?

Kimora

Arachnosquire
Because I would like to have a new species than this one but I’m too much in love with it! ^^

BC1579

Arachnobaron
Be warned, stirmi hairs are incredibly bad. I’m sure all NW hairs are miserable to a degree, but stirmis are widely recognized for having some of the worst around.

basin79

ArachnoGod
As above T.stirmi and T.apophysis as they're Theraphosa too.

Another beautiful large leggy tarantula (not as large as Theraphosa sp though) is the Pamphobeteus antinous.

Beedrill

Arachnoknight
I also agree that T. stirmi or apophysis would be best substitutes. I've heard that T. apophysis look very similar to T. blondi, and what T. stirmi I've seen seemed to be a bit darker in coloration, but I'm sure it varies. But the few people I personally know who have them all agree that T. stirmi (as mentioned above) has some really bad hairs, and is prone to flick them. They recommend at least wearing gloves when you deal with them, maybe even eye protection and disposable masks. I'm sure not everyone has the same issues, but those hairs are specifically designed to get stuck in you like porcupine quills, and probably better safe than sorry. Not trying to talk you out of it, just letting you know. Hope I helped! :)

Kimora

Arachnosquire
I’ve a beautiful big T stirmi too haha :)

I forgot to mention specifically "another genus".

Last edited:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I went to answer this earlier, T. stirmi and T. apophysis were going to be my recommendations although I thought that was a bit too obvious ^^^ seems not.
Did you mean from a different genus? Ah yes you posted while I was typing, there must be a few from different genera. A. hentzi, comes to mind.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Because I would like to have a new species than this one but I’m too much in love with it! ^^
Would love to see pics of your T.blondi. T.stirmi is often passed off as blondi by the misinformed, usually LPS or reptile dealers.

Where did you buy it?

Beedrill

Arachnoknight
I went to answer this earlier, T. stirmi and T. apophysis were going to be my recommendations although I thought that was a bit too obvious ^^^ seems not.
Did you mean from a different genus? Ah yes you posted while I was typing, there must be a few from different genera. A. hentzi, comes to mind.
Well A. hentzi will definitely develop the "leggy" look, but they don't get very big. Just 4-5 inches (10-12 cm) or so.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Still a very nice looking spider.

Not as slow as other genera - Brachy's, Grammy's etc.
I think Aphonopelma takes the cake for world's slowest growing. The hentzi I gave to Beedril is 19 months old and still only 3i.
While G. rosea is a very slow-grower, G. pulchripes is not. I have 9 species of Aphonopelma and all of them except for burica(from Costa Rica) are very slow growers.

cold blood

Staff member
I've heard that T. apophysis look very similar to T. blondi
Stirmi and blondi are almost indistinguishable to the untrained eye...the differences are very subtle...apophysis doesn't look like stirmi or blondi...its much leggier.

Almost any Pamph looks similar to blondi or stirmi when in pre molt.

But not so much after molting

basin79

ArachnoGod
Stirmi and blondi are almost indistinguishable to the untrained eye...the differences are very subtle...apophysis doesn't look like stirmi or blondi...its much leggier.

Almost any Pamph looks similar to blondi or stirmi when in pre molt.

But not so much after molting
Straight after moulting Theraphosa can be black. They look phenomenal. Not that they don't look great as a massive chocolate brown tarantula of course.

Beedrill

Arachnoknight
Still a very nice looking spider.
Oh yeah, I love them! I just meant to say that If size mattered, that Kimora should probably shoot for a different species.
A. hentzi live wild around here, and currently the only tarantula I own is a hentzi sling. It's so dang cute.