Which Old World Arboreal Should I Get

chevy1375

Arachnopeon
So I am looking to get a new spider and I want to get my first OW Arboreal. I already have a Psalmopoeus cambridgei and a Psalmopoeus Irminia so I'm ready to take the jump! Do you all have any recommendations?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You should not get spiders in Stromatopelminae genus= Stromatopelma and Heteroscodra!

They are to fast, defenssive and potent for a first OW arboreal! A Poecilitheria is a better choice or Lampropelma sp But be careful and learn how to set up a enclosure for those properly!

Good luck!

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Poecilotheria regalis was my first. They dont have the moisture reqs as the Asians, are readily available, fairly cheap, rather laid back as adults, and drop dead gorgeous with the fractal patterns. Like @Vanisher mentioned, stay away from S. calceatum and H. mac's until you build up the experience because the punishment they can inflict on an unsuspecting keeper is severe.

Thanks,
--Matt

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
One can never go wrong with the classic P. regalis.

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
I got the P ornata first.

I seen videos saying that they were calm for the most part but then others saying the ornata was the craziest.

They all look amazing

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I believe in this context, your best bet is going to be a pokie for all the reasons stated above. I acquired a P. ornata for my first pokie and she is great. I have an L. violaceopes but I would suggest going with another genus as they can be susceptible to husbandry mistakes early in their lives, and their are some very experienced keepers here that have lost them for no apparent reason. Plus, I saw my LV for the first time two nights ago for the first time in several months (I mean that literally). She actually went through an entire molt cycle without me laying eyes on her. I must say though, it’s worth all the other stuff when they do come out, drop dead gorgeous spiders, and REAL big.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Poecilotheria are by far the most relaxed ow arboreal genus. Probably a good place to start.

I'd say Stromatopelminae are probably the hardest. With Ornithoctoninae next, stuff like Lampropelma, Omothymus, and Phormingochilus.

Poecilotheria are huge, yes, but also rely heavily on their camouflage in the terrarium. This makes them quite relaxed till you mess with them. Even then, they are generally not very defensive.

The Ornithoctoninae often get just as big as Poecilotheria and have ten times the attitude. As for venom, no idea. I know of no studies or bite reports. All I know is it's likely nasty. These are also more susceptible to husbandry errors.

Stromatopelma and Heteroscodra are probably the most difficult genera for beginners. They are extremely flighty, often defensive, great jumpers, and have bad venom to boot. Heteroscodra are known to be difficult when young.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You should not get spiders in Stromatopelminae genus= Stromatopelma and Heteroscodra!

They are to fast, defenssive and potent for a first OW arboreal! A Poecilitheria is a better choice or Lampropelma sp But be careful and learn how to set up a enclosure for those properly!

Good luck!
Why he shouldn't, one moment, sorry? He already owns a P.irminia (which is on my book one of the most defensive arboreal T's out there). I assume that if he's comfy around a P.irminia, he could be comfy as well around a H.maculata.

No one undermine those two African species venom potency, but 'pokies', on that sense, are second to no one plus H.maculata and S.calceatum defensiveness was over hyped during years, just like happened for the P.murinus.

If someone is careful, always (and knowing the 'how to') nothing will ever happens. Besides, those species tend to be somewhat 'reclusive' (H.maculata especially) when full settled.

Bottom line, my point is this: after dealing with the likes of P.irminia without issues, the arboreal path is pretty smooth.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I know some folks recommend tappies before OW -- but I think psalmies give you some idea of what to expect.
My obt and cambri prepared me fasties -- but the truth is, only experience will help.
While I truly recommend NWs before OWs, the truth is -- a speedy T is the only thing to prepare you for a speedy T.

You could keep grammies and brachies for centuries and not be prepared for an OW. Know basic T care, and then proceed up 'ladder' to the best of your ability.
Best of luck -- I want all Ts safely cared for and safely kept. But at some point, you have to make to make the leap (if OWs are your dream T!) only you will know if you have basic T care down and are ready for a possible challenge). :(

That said, look before you leap! Good luck!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'd say P. subfusca 'Lowland', mine was easier to deal with than most Avics, and they're gorgeous.

View media item 47260 View media item 52333
I know some folks recommend tappies before OW -- but I think psalmies give you some idea of what to expect.
I think Pokies are probably easier to deal with than Tappies tbh, Tappies are just insanely fast.

chevy1375

Arachnopeon
I'd say P. subfusca 'Lowland', mine was easier to deal with than most Avics, and they're gorgeous.

I think Pokies are probably easier to deal with than Tappies tbh, Tappies are just insanely fast.
So Beautiful! I'm leaning towards a pokie I think. Should I be concerned about venom? I'm a 5'2" girl so I don't know about potency haha :')

Ellenantula

Arachnoking

Sheeesh -- call me out of this. No seriously, I agree. No two T are the same, nor are 2 keepers are the same.
Good luck to OP. The heart wants what it wants. :)
This IS supposed to be an enjoyable hobby. ;)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The P irminia i have had was feisty and quick yes, but not comparable with a full blown adult Stromatopelma calceatum female in a really bad mood! But if he thinks he is up for it, sure why not! but i still think he maybe should get an L nigerrium or the likes first! But it is up to the person buying the tarantula! He asked for advice, and i gave my advise!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
So Beautiful! I'm leaning towards a pokie I think. Should I be concerned about venom? I'm a 5'2" girl so I don't know about potency haha :')
A bite would mess you up but you'd be hard-pressed to get one to actually bite you tbh. That fella was so calm and easy to work with that I always thought he was trying to lull me into a false sense of security, gave me no trouble at all when I packed him for shipping after he hooked out, went straight into the shipping container (on the other hand, I packed an A. minatrix on Monday and that little shit gave me the runaround for about 15 minutes).

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The P irminia i have had was feisty and quick yes, but not comparable with a full blown adult Stromatopelma calceatum female in a really bad mood! But if he thinks he is up for it, sure why not! but i still think he maybe should get an L nigerrium or the likes first! But it is up to the person buying the tarantula! He asked for advice, and i gave my advise!
Aside for the fact that L.nigerrimum are nervous and high strung defensive as well, I've told this before: if someone is 'comfy' around a P.irminia (which means no bite, no escapes, and being able to properly move/rehouse/ship the spider etc) then the "arboreal path" is a smooth one.

I know that S.calceatum venom potency is a "red line", pure serious poop. But their level of defensiveness isn't so epic-different from the Asian arboreals, except 'Pokies' that, in general, are/acts pretty "shy" (I've said in general, because you never know how the single specimen attitude may be).

I've read above about the "jumping" part, in regards of S.calceatum. Laughable. Every arboreal jumps. 20 years ago I've saw a P.cambridgei jumping more than 1.40 cm, as a pure baby-sling, straight to the floor from a furniture, like nothing :)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Every arboreal jumps.
I've seen a couple of my Psalmos (victori and ecclesiasticus) and my T. rasti take 5ft swan dives off the top of my snake's viv like it's nothing.

Had Avics/Caribena try to jump away when packing them too.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, there are old worlds that are equally defenssive. But the potency cuppled with their speed, reclusivety and unpredictable makes them a spider to really respect! I am not nervouse around tarantulas not P murinus, Haplopelmas, Phormictopus large Theraphosa or any other! But rehousing a adult S calceatum get me nervous sometimes! But as i said. If he has experience and are a passionate and mature tarantula keeper, he should go ahead.:angelic:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yes, there are old worlds that are equally defenssive. But the potency cuppled with their speed, reclusivety and unpredictable makes them a spider to really respect! I am not nervouse around tarantulas not P murinus, Haplopelmas, Phormictopus large Theraphosa or any other! But rehousing a adult S calceatum get me nervous sometimes! But as i said. If he has experience and are a passionate and mature tarantula keeper, he should go ahead.:angelic:
If a S.calceatum (during a rehouse) escapes/bolt on the main wall, relax. Just listen to this song and everything will be ok :bored: