which is better-Tarantula VS Giant Centipede VS Vinegaroon VS Land Crab(s) VS Tiger Centipede VS Bai

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
I can't decide!

Tarantula VS Giant Centipede VS Vinegaroon VS Land Crab(s) VS Tiger Centipede VS Bait Leech vs Tiger Leech

What i'm looking for:

• Which one is hardier?
  • Which one is more active/enjoyable to watch?
  • Which one is least likely to be injured by its food?
  • Which one has the cheapest setup?
  • Which one is cheaper in the long run?
  • Which one is least likely to escape?
  • Which one is just plain cooler?

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
The hardiest is the tiger leech, they can live almost anywhere as long as it's wet.

Most active depends on species and individual.

Depends on what the food is, for example a centipede being fed a mouse is more likely to be injured than a T being fed a waxworm but less likely to be injured than the same T with a mouse. They're all generally pretty tough though

The leech has the cheapest setup. Container of water with a rock/log/stick and a lid. No filters or heaters needed

The cheapest in the long run depends on how you keep them

The land crab is probably the least likely to escape

Which one is the coolest comes down to your personal opinion

Ajohnson5263

Arachnosquire
In my opinion, Vinegaroons are the coolest, have relatively easy care, and live the longest (which is great if you're looking to have a pet for several years. However, not as many people keep leeches and it would be nice to have some new keepers in the hobby.

Connectimyrmex

Arachnopeon
Even though they aren't on the list, ants are the best. Semi-claustral queens are active, hardy, and easy to feed. A good place to start is at Formiculture.com

If you got all of these invert ideas from Monster Bug Wars, please try not to have any of your pets fight. Its animal abuse at its finest, at least feeders have it better (nearly immediate death rather than slow stressful battle).

schmiggle

Arachnoking
You probably won't be able to find a tiger leech, for starters.

I would love to see more people keeping leeches, and they're very easy and cheap. On the other hand, they spend most of their time sitting around.

Scolopendrid centipedes have very potent venom--not lethal, but certainly not fun. You should keep that in mind before you get one (particularly since you probably live with some kind of legal guardian).

Crabs are deceptively effective escape artists. I've seen a green crab escape from a saltwater tank and hide behind a vending machine. Having said that, a leech is probably most likely to escape, followed by a centipede, followed by a tarantula, then a vinegaroon, then a crab. Having a tight fitting lid should stop any and all of them.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I can't decide!

Tarantula VS Giant Centipede VS Vinegaroon VS Land Crab(s) VS Tiger Centipede VS Bait Leech vs Tiger Leech

What i'm looking for:

• Which one is hardier?
  • Which one is more active/enjoyable to watch?
  • Which one is least likely to be injured by its food?
  • Which one has the cheapest setup?
  • Which one is cheaper in the long run?
  • Which one is least likely to escape?
  • Which one is just plain cooler?
Buy em all man , I wish I had that option. Old world tarantulas and scorpions are my favorite but I haven’t owned em all.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Even though they aren't on the list, ants are the best. Semi-claustral queens are active, hardy, and easy to feed.
I mean, not really. Ants are tiny and somewhat delicate, very difficult to contain, and colonies tend to die off or fail to thrive for no discernible reason. Most of the things he mentioned are much easier to care for, especially for someone with limited experience.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Tarantulas depending on the species will demolish every food item at their disposal such as the lasiodora,psalmopoeus genus and the well known a. Geniculata. These species/ genus though are for the most part quite big, and quite hardy but are pretty strong so make sure you have a secure lid. There also out quite a bit except some from the psalmopoeus genus like p. Irminia but there does t go a day that I don’t see my p. Cam and they grow like weeds.

I’ve always loved the giant Scolopendra but for now I’m sticking to Ts like my p. Cam to get used to the speed.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
In my humble opinion, I would say go with either a tarantula or a vinegaroon. I have kept giant centipedes, but they were a little fragile for my tastes. Could have been the one I bought (usually wild caught adults), but it died after a few months. My Vinegaroon recently molted out, and he has been amazing. Out every night, eats like a champ, and is very hardy. Can handle moist and (for a small time) very dry conditions. Only caviat to them is the growth speed. Mine spent at least a few months in premolt before ever molting, and only molted once from a small juvie in the 2+ years I've had him. Tarantulas are probably the best choice IMO. There are hundreds of available species that are all very different and can be customized to you. Like big spiders? Get a bird eater. Like color? Get a GBB. Like docile and slow? Get any Brachypelma species. The list is endless, and I love keeping a bunch of different types. That said, they can be a little more picky with care, but some species are simply bulletproof ;) Hope this helps. All seem like a good option, but seeing as you may be a beginning keeper, tarantulas would be a solid place to start :D As for injured by food, tarantulas when molting need to be semi-watched. If you think they are in premolt, don't feed them. I've heard horror stories of mealworm beetles and crix eating freshly molted tarantulasor stopping the process :( As long as you have a good, locking/snapping cage, any insect shouldn't escape. With cheapness, centipedes are the cheapest. However, tarantulas vary and vinegaroons are relatively cheap, near a standard tarantula sling (near $25 for a baby or juvie)

Myrmeleon

Arachnoknight
Get death feigning beetles, they are active, hardy, eat human and dog food, cheap setup, not a ton of upkeep, can't fly or climb glass, and are very entertaining to watch.