Which cockroaches is the best food for T's !, Dubia Vs Turkestan Vs Madagascar Vs Halloween

Best Cockroach For feeding T's

• Madagaskar Hissing Cockroach

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Halloween Hissing Cockroach

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bakpao2nd

Arachnopeon
Hy guys I have question here ,
so which cockroaches is the best food for T's
(cricket not included since have bad nutrient and smells like a shit)

So lets say I research some cockroaches nutrient information as food.
and the thing is I only got Dubia Roaches nutrient information, I got Turkestan Roaches too but it seem not really complete like dubia information that I got,
so let say if someone know about this, or based on professional T's keeper experiences,
I would like to know, or we like to know (because maybe iam not the only one who curious about it)
Heres Dubia roaches Nutrient info that I got

nutri.png

Lets START THE VERSUS COUNTDOWN !

Dubia Cockroach
Blaptica dubia
VS
Turkestan Cockroach
Blatta lateralis
VS
Madagaskar Hissing Cockroach
Gromphadorhina portentosa
VS
Halloween Hissing Cockroach
Elliptorhina javanica

Note: I know theres a lot of Hissers cockroach and other cockroach specimen but, these 4 is like the cockroach of cockroach for T's,

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
It's not so much the species of roach as the diet you feed it. A dubia that you're feeding nothing more than cardboard is going to have less nutritional value than a roach you're feeding a diet of fruit/vegetables/protein etc. In this situation I think it matters more what you're trying to feed with the roaches. If you have some larger tarantulas then dubias might be the way to go as they get bigger and aan adult roach can feed an adult T for at least a week or more. If you have smaller Ts or some smaller inverts like mantis then red runners might be a better option for you because they stay pretty small. Hissers get really big, personally I would only feed them to centipedes or some really big Ts like Theraphosa, Phormictopus, Pamphos etc.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Hissers are great.. They don't play dead or burrow and Ts of all sizes love them..

The only downside is that they tend to reproduce a bit slower than most prey roaches.

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
I'm have both dubia and lateralis, but prefer dubia for my bigger Ts. Dubias tend to burrow if not eaten so its advisable to crush their head when feeding to avoid that. Especially if feeding Ts with bad feeding response.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
turkistan roaches make it more entertaining I think they just keep running as for nutritional value I don't have a clue

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I don't really care for nutritional values except for how much protein is in my roach colony's chow seeing as too much can kill them.

As for the best feeder roach, I'm going with Turkestan roaches, they don't play dead or burrow and Ts go crazy for them. Yeah, you probably have to feed 3-4 to match the mass of a large super or an adult dubia but watching a large tarantula stuff a bunch of red runners in its face is just as (if not more) satisfying as hearing a dubia go crunch anyway.

Also, B. dubia elicit probably the worst feeding response out of any feeder I've ever used.

cold blood

Staff member
Nutritional values attributed to feeders are for reptiles....ts have no such requirements....whichever roach or feeder your t eats is best. Any t can be raised solely on any roach or and feeder without issue. Dont over think feeders.

Last edited:

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Honestly, I'm not sure why T people are into roaches so much.

They seem like the most likely feeder to potentially infest your house, which could create a situation where you need to call in an exterminator, and then could potentially harm or kill your T's, not to mention cause a divorce on the spot.

And I'm not talking about getting out into nature, etc. I just mean infesting the house you're bringing them into; two escapees and you've got an issue.

cold blood

Staff member

They seem like the most likely feeder to potentially infest your house, which could create a situation where you need to call in an exterminator, and then could potentially harm or kill your T's, not to mention cause a divorce on the spot.

And I'm not talking about getting out into nature, etc. I just mean infesting the house you're bringing them into; two escapees and you've got an issue.
The main reason for dubia popularity is that they offer low escape risk (cant climb smooth surfaces), and that homes arent really hospitable for them for living, even less so for breeding.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
No preference really.If my animal eats it with gusto,im happy with that.
They never seem to have a favorite.
Ok,they aint crazy about brussel sprouts.:yuck::yuck:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
They seem like the most likely feeder to potentially infest your house
They're only an infestation risk if you live somewhere hot and humid (which is why they're banned in some states IIRC), red runners are probably the easiest/quickest to breed out of this list and they don't produce oothecae at all if kept below 25°C/77°F so the only thing escapees warrant is the use of sticky traps.

Why is that no one mentions lobster roaches?
Because, if I remember correctly, they can climb smooth surfaces and can successfully breed at lower temps than red runners which makes them very likely to infest your gaff if/when they escape.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
the feeder isn't super important, just choose something practical, gut load it and sacrifice it to your Ts.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I don't think hissers, red runners or dubias will become a problem if they escape in Calgary ;)

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
I don't think hissers, red runners or dubias will become a problem if they escape in Calgary ;)
Hey!!! Global warming,coming your way..break out the sunscreen and flipflops.:)

Bakpao2nd

Arachnopeon
so the thing is . we can save this world by reducing global warming most contribution which is Roaches fart. by feeding them to Tarantulas, and any roaches work!

see at the bright side! WE ARE SAVING THIS WORLD! if we keep T's as a pet and we feed them with roaches.
What a good chain reaction !

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire

Personally, I had a gecko and a beardie long before I got into Tarantulas. Part of the attraction was that I already keep more than enough feeders for a decent collection.

Anyways, I used to have a major roach phobia, but I struggled through it to feed dubias because they’re JUST so much healthier for reptiles. I’ve been feeding dubias and keeping a mini colony for almost a year now and I will honestly never go back to crickets. Everything everyone says about dubias is true: they’re easier to keep, quieter, they don’t stink, they don’t jump and (mostly) can’t fly, can’t climb plastic or glass, and unless you’re in a hot and humid area there is little to no chance of them infesting even if they did escape.

I don’t have any experience with red runners and will probably stick with dubias and the various worms I order :)

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Red runners would be my favorite because they don’t burrow, do run around and stay small, which is a plus when most of one’s T’s are juveniles! :) The downside is that mine only procreate once per year and insist on having a dormant period over winter even when I keep them warm (unlike my dubias and hissers), which greatly limits their utility. Are my roaches broken? :confused: