Which arboreal to choose?

stnick80

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I love Psalmopoeus, especially irminia but they are fiesty! I personally think P.regalis are a bit more laid back regardless of venom potency. If you have experience with fast and flighty tarantulas just get whatever you prefer. Or..just get them all. They are all fairly cheap as slings.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Out of the choices, I would pick the P. regalis.
Best looking out of the 3 in my opinion.
Can't go wrong with a pokie:D

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, they're all great-looking spiders, so in my opinion you really can't go wrong. P. irminia and P. regalis will both be more hands-off pets, while A. versicolor can be handled, but all are equally interesting pets. It really comes down to which you find most appealing.

bravesvikings20

Arachnosquire
Yeah I dont plan on handling at all.
Basically ive narrowed it down to either P. irminia or P. regalis.
Basically I just want to raise them up and have them in a nice show tank, but I also do have the intentions of breeding.

TrentinG

Arachnopeon
i would say go with the regalis....absolutely gorgeous, somewhat fast growers, mine seem to be out and about alot even in the daytime....plus theyre venom is less potent than the irminia....regalis are the best pokies to start with...in my opinion
the regali's venom is actually worse.. I think I'd go with a regalis though, i see mine way more often :)

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
not exactly....P. irminia has one of the worst venoms of all T's...and they can also jump, glide, and run upside down on wet glass...the S. calceatum has worse venom the the irminia, i have both of them, and 6 regalis....i would still say go with the regalis....

the regali's venom is actually worse.. I think I'd go with a regalis though, i see mine way more often :)

advan

oOOo
Staff member
not exactly....P. irminia has one of the worst venoms of all T's...and they can also jump, glide, and run upside down on wet glass...the S. calceatum has worse venom the the irminia, i have both of them, and 6 regalis....i would still say go with the regalis....
Can you PM me a link to your source?

Drakk

Arachnosquire
Ima go against the flow here.
I keep all three a regalis a irminia and 3 versi.
There all great spiders...but i just like the habits of the Versi over the Irminia or the Regalis.
Also the look of a versi is just awesome IMO.
Irminia is a 2nd choice for me because the 2 i have are VERY hidden and private creatures also.
Regalis is a beauty but its very skittish and very private tho ive only kept one so far.
Just my opinions.
Versicolor are really pretty/FUZZY.....gotta love fuzzy? lol

Querx

Arachnopeon
Hey there, I have just recently bought both an A.versicolor sling and a P.regalis sling so I'll tell you the differences based on the behaviours of my two.

The versicolor seems to show itself more often and is very active (spends more time moving than the regalis). It is indeed very fluffy and nicely coloured so it's a good display species. Also, I wouldn't recommend handling it not because it may bite (it probably wouldn't) but because it is very fast and is likely to run off your hand and behind the bed. The handling info doesn't really matter though if you don't intend to handle it.

The P.regalis has chosen a place to make it's hide and has stayed there all through the days. However, it is rather active at night. As a display species I think it would not be as good as the versicolor. It does look nice, mainly in pattern, not so much in colour so again, it would make a good display species but not as good as the versicolor. It seems more skittish than aggressive to me so it is not likely to be very tricky when it comes to transfers or enclosure cleaning unlike the versicolor which is more likely to escape on you.

Based on this, I would personally go for the versicolor. It is quick but if you have kept Avics before then it shouldn't be a problem. However, if you do decide between the pokies then I would definitley say to go for the regalis.

Hope this helps :)

bravesvikings20

Arachnosquire
Hey there, I have just recently bought both an A.versicolor sling and a P.regalis sling so I'll tell you the differences based on the behaviours of my two.

The versicolor seems to show itself more often and is very active (spends more time moving than the regalis). It is indeed very fluffy and nicely coloured so it's a good display species. Also, I wouldn't recommend handling it not because it may bite (it probably wouldn't) but because it is very fast and is likely to run off your hand and behind the bed. The handling info doesn't really matter though if you don't intend to handle it.

The P.regalis has chosen a place to make it's hide and has stayed there all through the days. However, it is rather active at night. As a display species I think it would not be as good as the versicolor. It does look nice, mainly in pattern, not so much in colour so again, it would make a good display species but not as good as the versicolor. It seems more skittish than aggressive to me so it is not likely to be very tricky when it comes to transfers or enclosure cleaning unlike the versicolor which is more likely to escape on you.

Based on this, I would personally go for the versicolor. It is quick but if you have kept Avics before then it shouldn't be a problem. However, if you do decide between the pokies then I would definitley say to go for the regalis.

Hope this helps :)
Wow perfect answer, Thank you very much!

Now I once again am on the fence lol. Get some slings and watch them grow, or just go ahead and get a mature female? lol :D

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
sorry about saying that the P. irminia had that much potency, just did some searching, and with some help realized i was wrong, and wanted to let everone know before i got bashed....thank ya