1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to purchase Moth/Butterfly eggs

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by Austin S., Apr 14, 2008.

1. Austin S.

Austin S. Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

I use to raise Antheraea polyphemus, tiger swallowtails, pipe vine swallowtails, monarch butterflys and many more. I do not have the time anymore to look for them, so I'd like to find a site where I could purchase eggs, larvae, pupa, etc.
  2. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

3. Austin S.

What a great site. What was your fav. species you ordered? Did you have any trouble receiving your shipment b/c they are in Canada? Do you have to go through something, permit or anything?
  4. bugster

bugster Arachnosquire

5. Galapoheros

No I never had ANY probs with shipping, it wasn't even brought up, hmm, I didn't even consider that. I've bought the poly, luna, and cecropia from him. His dad sold them too but I don't know if his dad is around anymore. I bought some from his dad but I thought Bill O. had me do that because he thought it would make his older dad feel good, don't know for sure. I guess I liked the poly and the cecropia best. He was selling Regal moth cocoons, I think that's it, the one where the caterpillars are huge, I think some people call them Hickory devils(?). Don't know if he's selling those but I'd like to raise those up at least once.
  6. Austin S.

I stepped outside for a bit tonight and came back to find this by the porch light!
    Too bad its a male though, I'd have my own eggs in a couple days!
  7. dtknow

dtknow Arachnoking Old Timer

Man you are really lucky!

I raised polyphemus through 1 generation...they got tired of mating with their siblings. Despite rumours of occurences of this sp. near me all attempts to call in wild males failed.
  8. Galapoheros

I had a few cocoons left last year, one ended up a female but I kept the cocoon at a diff temp than it was outside so I think she came out of the cocoon out of synch with the wild males, I didn't see any males either but I know they are here. Yeah too bad that's a male but that was cool timing and nice find.
  9. 357wheelgunner

357wheelgunner Arachnobaron

I found a big green 5" long 'pillar on a tree when I was about 15 years old. Caught it and kept it in a little cage. I was surprised to find it in a cacoon. A while later I came home from school to find a giant, beautiful moth inside the small cage. I had to rip the cage apart to let him out.

The next day my cecropia moth was on my porch, mating with a female.

Try raising one, they're huge (6" wingspan) and gorgeous.
  10. auroborus

auroborus Arachnosquire

i love cecropias. i have 5 in there cocoons now waiting for the right day to come out. i wish it would stop raining here so i can put them back outside in the warmth
  11. P.jasonius

P.jasonius Arachnobaron

I've seen a trick done where you can string up a white sheet at night and shine a light on it, it attracts tons of moths. I was going to try it to see about getting some lunar moths this year.
  12. crpy

crpy Arachnoking

13. Corranthe

Corranthe Arachnoknight

OMG...You mean... I can raise... butterflies??? :eek:

This thread just totally made my day! Thank you all! {D
  14. crpy

crpy Arachnoking

They are alittle..........ok,allot more high maintance (at least in large volume)than "T"s
  15. Corranthe

Corranthe Arachnoknight

I'm going to be doing some research then. I'd just want to get some info together and start small. At this point, I know nothing other than it is possible. I would be grateful for any clues about good websites for care information.