Where to find scolopendra heros arizonensis

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you drive slow in hilly or mountainous areas at night, sometimes you can find heros running around on the road. I used to do that looking for pedes and snakes until around 5am but I started getting pulled over too often by border patrol, ruined it for me. "what are you doing out here, mind if we search your vihicle?"

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I used to do that looking for pedes and snakes until around 5am but I started getting pulled over too often by border patrol, ruined it for me. "what are you doing out here, mind if we search your vihicle?"
When we've been collecting in areas where there are lots of Border Patrol we make a point of flagging one of them down, telling them what we're doing and ask about recent local weather conditions, etc. Twice we've asked permission (and received it) to look through wood piles in the border patrol facilities.

Pinchednerve

Arachnosquire
I have friends that live in Buckeye AZ can they be found in that area of AZ?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When we've been collecting in areas where there are lots of Border Patrol we make a point of flagging one of them down, telling them what we're doing and ask about recent local weather conditions, etc. Twice we've asked permission (and received it) to look through wood piles in the border patrol facilities.
That's a good strategy, unfortunately for me, living in Tx, a law was passed concerning hunting any live thing from the road so I was given warning ticket by the the game warden out there for having a tarantula in my truck so it's ruined all that for me. Here you can legally hunt inverts on private property if you have a hunting license. But in AZ, I like that initial approach strategy with the Border Patrol. So you don't have game warden issues out there? Here in Tx, there was something having to do with a tx politician that doesn't like snakes, something like that so he managed to pass a really strict law. Some don't enforce it calling it "stupid", others enforce it calling it "stupid". I said, "I have to have a hunting license for this? People spray these with pesticide and crush them." "I know it's stupid but it is what it is." On a positive note, it does protect wildlife more. At the same time, you might be saving something from the road.

Pinchednerve

Arachnosquire
That's a good strategy, unfortunately for me, living in Tx, a law was passed concerning hunting any live thing from the road so I was given warning ticket by the the game warden out there for having a tarantula in my truck so it's ruined all that for me. Here you can legally hunt inverts on private property if you have a hunting license. But in AZ, I like that initial approach strategy with the Border Patrol. So you don't have game warden issues out there? Here in Tx, there was something having to do with a tx politician that doesn't like snakes, something like that so he managed to pass a really strict law. Some don't enforce it calling it "stupid", others enforce it calling it "stupid". I said, "I have to have a hunting license for this? People spray these with pesticide and crush them." "I know it's stupid but it is what it is." On a positive note, it does protect wildlife more. At the same time, you might be saving something from the road.

Pinchednerve

Arachnosquire
This is all helpful information , thank you it always helps to do the homework for your area. Anything we can do to preserve our wild planet is a good thing
~Jack

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's some ridiculous horse crap. Forget moving to Texas then, doubt that does a single thing to protect wildlife.

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
I caught one on my back porch last night (Tucson, AZ). I wee them from time to time outside, this one is about 5" long. I wouldn't have a clue where to find them. heros.jpg