Where do I go from here? Help

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
And there's the rub: people in Camp A (confident but incompetent) are highly likely to believe they are in Camp B (confident and competent). That's why it's not necessarily good advice to say "you'll know when you are ready."

People sometimes quip, "if you have to ask, you're not ready." I disagree. Recognizing the potential limitations of your own knowledge and asking more experienced people for feedback is a sign of good judgment. (And given that people tend to doubt themselves as they become more competent, the fact that someone is asking "am I ready?" does not automatically mean the answer is no.)

I understand what you're saying, I just find myself in the camp of, if you need to ask other people on the internet if you're ready the answer is probably no. That doesn't however mean if you don't feel the need to ask that the answer is yes.

Also at the end of the day, unfortunately people for better or worse will do whatever they feel. That being said, I hope people find places like AB so even if they find themselves in over their heads, they can at least get help and advice from people who know better to learn how to take care of something that might be more than they can handle.

Timc

Arachnosquire
I agree with a lot of both sides of the back and forth here. Let my just add some anticdotal experience for the OP; I have an OBT that all it wants to do when the lid is open is run for sweet sweet freedom. I had one years ago that would run from me walking in the room. I'm not here to tell you what to get and what not to get, all I have to say if you get the spider you want right now is learn your spider. They're all different even in the same species, however they all deserve equal respect. If you think you're ready for the next step then by all means take it. Just do so humbly(this hobby will teach you humility). Keep in mind that old OBT was my first tarantula. I didn't know any better at the time, but I learned and fell in love. I just took precautions for myself and the spider. Were there surprises? Of course. Did I learn from every tiny mistake I made? Absolutely. And don't forget this; this hobby is supposed to be FUN!