Where did the tarantula go?

Brad Smith

Arachnopeon
Just a couple months ago I could find any species of tarantula I wanted to purchase usually sexed females.

For the past month I've had an incredibly hard time finding poecilotheria and baboons because all of the vendors are pretty much sold out of anything with a little size to them.....is it because its tax season and everything has been bought up with tax returns....or are these particular specimens just harder to find right now?

I've never attempted to buy any Ts at this time of the year and was just curios.

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
not because of tax season, it isn't like all species are available all the time etc etc...There are cycles etc.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't know well (for obvious reasons) like others the internal U.S arachnid market but honestly it's beyond me that may exist a 'scarcity' of easy to breed (therefore technically almost always available) T's like P.murinus, C.marshalli etc are.

As far the 'pokies' my speculation is that may enter into this the new recent 'regulation' (U.S only) about certain species of this genus, including the fact that, if I'm not wrong now, for remain in the legal side of things "you" can't anymore purchase (online) certain 'pokies' species from other U.S vendors that aren't located in your same state - Arkansas, in your case.

I don't remember now if P.metallica and P.regalis, the one you mentioned, are/enters in that regulation. IMO a U.S crazyness, anyway :)

Brad Smith

Arachnopeon
P.regalis and P.metallica are still available through interstate purchase luckily.
P.murinus and C.darlingii are pretty readily available online they're just mostly sold as unsexed slings.Im sure if I was in an area where the hobby was more popular they would be more readily available at larger sizes at shops but as it is now the closest per shop to me only has a 1 inch A.geniculata for 45 bucks...that's insane.

cold blood

Staff member
Whats insane is that it seems you would prefer to pay 3-6times more than you need to from a local shop...lol....shop online...virtually infinite selection and by far the lower cost...plus you dont have to drive to get them....just sit there in your undies and wait for the doorbell to ring...lol.

I dont get the aversion to shipping...almost all locally sold ts in pet stores were shipped halfway around the world already....theres no reason to be concerned with shipping within the us...its quite reliable.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
As far the 'pokies' my speculation is that may enter into this the new recent 'regulation' (U.S only) about certain species of this genus, including the fact that, if I'm not wrong now, for remain in the legal side of things "you" can't anymore purchase (online) certain 'pokies' species from other U.S vendors that aren't located in your same state - Arkansas, in your case.

I don't remember now if P.metallica and P.regalis, the one you mentioned, are/enters in that regulation. IMO a U.S crazyness, anyway :)
The Poecilotheria genus restriction of state lines only are on the Sri Lankan Poecilotheria species. This will include smithi, subfusca (both high & lowland), ornata (my favorite pokie), fasciata, and vittata. I gotta say, living in the U.S. kinda punishes us when it comes to the T. hobby. Almost everything is expensive besides, B. albo's, A. seemanni, and A. avics and the generic T.'s. Other than that, everything else is way too overprice which you gotta search heavily for the best prices (this forums for sale/to buy is the best by far). Not to mention Sri-Lankan pokies are godly overprice now in the U.S. thanks to this regulation. It's like finding a drop of water in a middle of a desert. I had to pay $80 for a single P. ornata sling/young juvenile. :dead::shifty: I remember that time before the regulation when these pokies were at the $30-$40 range.:arghh:

P.regalis and P.metallica are still available through interstate purchase luckily.
P.murinus and C.darlingii are pretty readily available online they're just mostly sold as unsexed slings.Im sure if I was in an area where the hobby was more popular they would be more readily available at larger sizes at shops but as it is now the closest per shop to me only has a 1 inch A.geniculata for 45 bucks...that's insane.
That A. genic sling for $45 much is ridiculous. I would rather just buy online and get way better prices and selection.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well if you're only looking in local pet stores, no wonder you cannot find anything worth getting. Pet stores are 100% the least reliable place to get Ts. Responsible online breeders/hobbyists are absolutely the way to go.

That being said, female specimens aren't always available. Growing out specimens takes time and space... some breeders don't want to bother when they can sell off the slings to make room for more slings.

Brad Smith

Arachnopeon
I've acquired all of my tarantulas through online shipping.....I've only been to a pet shop one time and that was to get my very first tarantula....which was a wild caught A.avicularia......I would never pay that for an A.geniculata

However I have met breeders in person to get specimens and I'd do that again as its usually the cheapest route

I have no problem with shipping but P.subfusca is my favorite T and the only way I'd be able to acquire it would be in person as its illegal for interstate sells and it really is a shame...the 5 species of Poecilotheria that are banned are basically the only reason I'd even consider a local breeder/vendor

Last edited by a moderator:

Justin H

Arachnosquire
It sounds like you might not have a network of breeders in your area, or you haven't found one. Baboon species especially seem to be in abundance in the PNW. A lot of them are posted on the Facebook group for <$20.

That said, we had a couple of big expos last month that wiped a lot of breeder supply out. I've been looking for a GBB since then. I've found just one, and they're asking $80 for a 1/2" sling. I could get a decent-sized G. pulchra sling for that price here...

Liquifin

Arachnoking
they're asking $80 for a 1/2" sling
That is the worst pricing ever, you could legit buy a G. pulchra, M. balfouri, H. pulchripes, or almost any sling with $80. GBB are ranged around $40-$60 in the U.S. While that is a little pricey compared to overseas. $80 is just beyond rip-off price. I could buy a GBB for half that price.