Where are the big emilias?

KidMunti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So far I have not seen a 5"+ B. emilia....not even in pictures. Do they grow as big as B. smithi? I heard they could only grow up to maximum size of 4.5". Anyone here with 5"+ emilia? Here's mine at 4" and still kinda petit.

Attachments

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i would say that she will molt again and get a little bigger someday. i have a rosey that is around the same size, i hope she will molt again. its been almost 2 years that i have owned her and she never molted, and i don't know how long before that.

Chris V

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
B emilia top out at 5-6 inches (according to the caresheets). If you read the Tarantulas Keepers Guide (by Stan Schultz) it has a picture of a Brachypelma emilia on a ladies hand (It was huge!) , they said it weighed 1.8 oz. I did'nt catch the length (or of they even mentioned it) but it did mention that they were extremely slow growers. The one in the book they owned for 19 years and believed it was probably close to 31 when she died. They also mentioned that enthusiast with experience claim that the female B emilia live longer than the female B smithi, with life spans closer to forty years.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
here is ours, that we won at the ATS conference....
She's full grown, and probably close to 5", although I haven't bothered to measure her. She has the BEST disposition! Of course, she's one of Rosemary Kraft's spiders, so she is very nice :)

Attachments

KidMunti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Immortal, thanks for that pic. It's gorgeous!

Chris, I have that book and I checked it. I forgot that one.

KidMunti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cichlidsman, I have a rosy too and I believe she is matured already. Bought her as wildcaught and has not molted in my care since October of 2002. Chalmer