when to remove my avicularia avicularia moult?

AMcGuire211

Arachnopeon
I woke this morning to find my daughters avic did her complete moult. I went to check on her and right away noticed her moult. i have to say it's the most incredible thing though I was kinda sad I didn't actually get to witness it.
My question how ever is when would be a good time to remove it? I'm wanting to sex it to know for sure. For the last 6 months we've assumed it's a female, mainly because of the size. And how exactly do I go about sexing from the moult?

cold blood

Staff member
Take it whenever....theres a whole thread stickied explaining sexing of molts.

AMcGuire211

Arachnopeon
thank you. I just wasnt sure when to remove it. once she moves away from it I'll remove it. Coolest thing ever to wake up to. my 4 yr old was beyond excited when I told her what happened.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
EDIT: Oh nevermind. I found it!

Can you please help me find this? Which forum is it in because I was looking for more information on how/when. Thanks!!

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Can you please help me find this? Which forum is it in because I was looking for more information on how/when. Thanks!!
My fault...seems that stickied thread has been removed.

But if you go through the gallery it will give you a good idea of where to be looking and what to be looking for.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
My fault...seems that stickied thread has been removed.
I did find one. I dont remember exactly where, but it is stickied somewhere lol. It has a lot of info on what to look for and how to take pictures.

ETA: it is stickied in the Tarantulas Pictures forum

cold blood

Staff member
I did find one. I dont remember exactly where, but it is stickied somewhere lol. It has a lot of info on what to look for and how to take pictures.

ETA: it is stickied in the Tarantulas Pictures forum
Aaah yes, there it is.

AMcGuire211

Arachnopeon
awesome thank you I tried looking and couldn't find anything.. but I'll go back and look now. again once shes moved I'll pull her moult out. shes been like right there on top of it most of the day today..

Kitara

Arachnodemon
awesome thank you I tried looking and couldn't find anything.. but I'll go back and look now. again once shes moved I'll pull her moult out. shes been like right there on top of it most of the day today..
My three all just molted recently. Two of the exuvia are still in the enclosure. It took a week to get out the first one and that is the one we wanted the most because it was big enough to be sexed. The GBB webbed hers up on the wall of her burrow like a piece of arr so that one is stuck until she gets tired of it. The g. pulchra is only a couple of days post molt and the exuvia is down in the burrow so I dont want to bother her. I'll be able to snag it once she comes out.

AMcGuire211

Arachnopeon
My three all just molted recently. Two of the exuvia are still in the enclosure. It took a week to get out the first one and that is the one we wanted the most because it was big enough to be sexed. The GBB webbed hers up on the wall of her burrow like a piece of arr so that one is stuck until she gets tired of it. The g. pulchra is only a couple of days post molt and the exuvia is down in the burrow so I dont want to bother her. I'll be able to snag it once she comes out.

okay so another question I have is, what's normal for post molt? she just been chilling moving a little every once in a while. she keeps her legs stretched out each time I've checked in on her

Attachments

Kitara

Arachnodemon
okay so another question I have is, what's normal for post molt? she just been chilling moving a little every once in a while. she keeps her legs stretched out each time I've checked in on her
I only have three and this is my first molt with them so I'm veeery new. But, I can tell you what I've gone through and each one is different so I think there is a huge range of "normal." From what I have read here, yours sounds perfectly normal.

My first is a b. albo, male, about 4-5". I can't tell yet because he won't spread out enough for me to measure him. He molted about 2 weeks ago and has been hiding in his corner since. He was laying on top of the exuvia for a week and finally kicked it out. He has come out of his corner a couple of times, but he basically acts like he's scared all the time right now. We are hoping he'll come out of it and be chill again, but we're just waiting.

The next is a GBB, unsexed, about 2.5" after molting about a week and a half ago. That little sucker grew a lot! She hung out in her web burrow for about 3-4 days before she finally came out. She's had two roaches since then and is now acting like she was before except that she's not webbing as much. She is moving around the enclosure though so I think she's doing well. She's about to get a rehouse because she can touch the substrate and the ceiling at the same time now LOL.

The last is our teeny g. pulchra, unsexed, about 1" premolt and I can't tell how big she is yet. Not much bigger. She molted a few days ago and has not come out of her burrow. She seems to move around in it a bit, but not much. Yesterday she had her front feet sticking out and she made a small opening (it was closed off). I think she's acting hungry, but it's too soon so she has to wait a few more days before she gets to eat.