1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to remove eaten food

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Pyrelitha, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Pyrelitha

Pyrelitha Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    Like how long does it take to eat a cricket for a gbb sling. Mines been on hers for 4hours, im about to go to work idk if I should dig it out.. or is it safe so stay in there for another 8hrs?

Attached Files:

2. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnobaron Active Member

If she’s eating it- don’t take it from her. She will finish it at her pace.

If it’s alive and roaming or pre-killed, removing it after 24 hours is a good rule of thumb.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Pyrelitha

Ok cool, I think she's still eating it but i cant see her fangs, she turned at an angle I cant see at all.. but shes ontop of it and not really moving. Its dead, not prekilled though

4. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnobaron Active Member

Looks and sounds to me like she’s still eating. I would just leave her be.

5. Pyrelitha

Hm last time she ate she kept moving her butt side to side and up/down

6. boina

boina Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

Germany
    Yes, tarantulas do that, but mostly in the early stages of eating. When she's been at it for a while she will probably be done with waving her butt (and spinning a place mat in the process).

7. Pyrelitha

awesome, it was quite cute.

8. Pyrelitha

sorry for posting so much, I just like sharing and making sure this T stays healthy! Anyway is this guy done eating, or saving it for later.. seems like his butt is quite large, and hes doing that webbing movement called the happy dance

Attached Files:

9. ccTroi

ccTroi Arachnosquire Active Member

It may be done. check back tomorrow and discard the remains.

your sling will very soon be in premolt. once their abdomens get shiny as your picture depicts. after your discard the cricket remains, pour water onto the webbing if there is no water dish.

10. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

There's absolutely no reason to micromanage your tarantula when it comes to eating hah. They are far more knowledgeable in knowing when they are done than we are. Let your T eat, and observe nature/enjoy.
    If your concern is dead prey growing mold attracting bugs etc, again-- you wait until your T is done eating, as in cricket is not attached to T.

They are extremely tidy eaters and such. You'll know when it's done.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Pyrelitha

Ok thats what I thought, also there is a water bowl so I dont need to put water on her/his web!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pyrelitha

oh my! Premolt?? Ive only had him two weeks! So if he denies my next feeding - friday, I just shouldnt feed him? Also when they molt how long until I feed him again

13. AnObeseHippo

AnObeseHippo Arachnopeon Active Member

I believe the rule of thumb is no feeding until a week after moulting.

14. ccTroi

ccTroi Arachnosquire Active Member

Correct, it will most likely refuse its next meal. One week is plenty of time for it to harden up.

15. Anoplogaster

Anoplogaster Arachnobaron

I remove food boluses if I happen to see them. But I won’t go out of my way to find them, either. Most of my spiders will drop the bolus where the feeding took place. But I have a couple of species that are meticulously clean animals. They bring the prey into their hides, feed in there, and push the bolus out after a couple of days.

GBBs will web over everything. Most of the boluses get covered in a layer of web before I even get to them. It’s almost as if they no longer exist;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Behold! :stop: It's like in 'Gremlins' movie, after midnight you are doomed, so please be careful :nailbiting:

• Award Award x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. CyclingSam

CyclingSam Arachnoknight

Utah
    Do you like it when your food is taken when you are not finished? If it has dropped it and left it and 24 hours have passed, then go ahead and take it out.

18. Pyrelitha

Just wanted to be sure it was ok in there, don't want my spider living in a messy apartment >.>