When is an enclosure too small?

Furf

Arachnopeon
oooh this is dangerous. There is a Container store nearby. Looks like I am heading there tomorrow. Thank you for the ideas.

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
think that's enough ventilation?

the two containers with red lids are my other two Tarantula enclosures with an L.P. sling and a Curly sling.
I’ve been using these same display boxes from the Container Store for my two slings, and just a warning, after regular openings one of the lids has become really loose and not sealed at all. The other is getting wonky too. I don’t think they’re meant to be opened a lot. Others may have had different experiences though.
I think I’m going to switch to small Amac boxes.

Zepmaster

Arachnopeon
I’ve been using these same display boxes from the Container Store for my two slings, and just a warning, after regular openings one of the lids has become really loose and not sealed at all. The other is getting wonky too. I don’t think they’re meant to be opened a lot. Others may have had different experiences though.
I think I’m going to switch to small Amac boxes.
This is a softball display box, I will definitely watch for problems with the lid. Thanks for the heads up

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens just molted yesterday, it is growing larger *of course* and it made me wonder when is an enclosure too small?
Beautiful right?

the enclosure looks small on my GBB Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens but i've heard all kinds of mixed opinions on the subject. I did a search and couldn't find this question only variants of is *this enclosure* too small for *this* tarantula, whats the guideline? twice leg span? three -four times leg span? what's the consensus how do i know when a tarantula, any tarantula has outgrown its current enclosure?

While im on the subject would a small KK be appropriate for my GBB or will it just web the lid to death and make it difficult do work in/on?
Can the Spider move around well and does it have ample space for both webbing, burrowing (if applicable) and a bit of exploring without being crammed up with tank decor up its rear end? If the answer is yes, then it should be okay.

In the case of the GBB you posted in your OP, that old container was too small so you made the right call and that is good after all because it was climbing the wall not that I am trying to stall but this rhyme has me enthralled. @Leila @cold blood

Zepmaster

Arachnopeon
no more kritter keeper, i like this one much better thank you for the suggestions. i will be adding some fake plant clippings but i left the glue gun at home this morning

Tyler Hogan

Arachnopeon
Do I need to rehouse?! The enclosure is 3 inches long and wide and1.5 in tall. It's a brachypelma albopilosum (curly hair) IMG_20181021_122151.jpg IMG_20181021_121857.jpg IMG_20181021_121907.jpg

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Last edited:

Tyler Hogan

Arachnopeon
Enclosure is the fine for that size, but my god.... that substrate looks like nails. I would change that substrate immediately. I would add a little bit of more ventilation as well.
Thank you for the advice. I will do both. I'm considering when changing out the substrate and adding more ventilation doing a rehouse to a slightly bigger more like deli container around 4in-6in diameter. Do you have any recommendation for how tall that Deli container should be, maybe I'm overthinking it.