When do the hooks come on a curly hair male

Carly107

Arachnopeon
Hi guys this is probably a dumb question but I was wondering when the hooks appear. I aussum they are there at the final molt. I got a almost mature male from a grate breeder she said he was one molt away from becoming mature. He molted about a week ago. He's fluffy as all get out and I was wondering how to know for sure he's mature he's made a lot of webs and the female has never laid web other then feeding mats molting mats so I'm unsure if some just web and some don't or if this is the sperm web? He just started making them after the molt. I'm sorry to be so ignorant I just wanted to know how to be 100% sure he's mature thanks for the help in advance
I have looked up pictures of the hooks but with all the fluff i just have no clue if they are there or not i also read about the pedipalps becoming engorged I'm not sure when this happens if it's right away or a few weeks later I tried to get as much information as I could on my own im in no rush for him to become a man i just wanted more information he is a hair over 5" thank you

Attachments

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The tibial hooks and emboli (bulbous tips on the pedipalps) should be immediately apparent after the male's final molt, when he reaches maturity. They do not "grow in" later.

You can see an example of the tibial hooks on B. albopilosum here: https://thingsbiological.wordpress....curly-hair-tarantula-brachypelma-albopilosum/ (scroll down to 2nd picture) The tibial hooks are only on the underside of the front pair of legs, not all of them.

The tips of the pedipalps will look more blunted and rounded, even if you can't actually see the palpal bulbs, rather than ending in the more slender, tapered "feet" of a female or juvenile tarantula: https://tomsbigspiders.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/emboli-diagram.jpg

Last edited:

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
From the looks of those photos I dont think those are sperm webs, my mature male has very obvious hooks and emboli. That's a very nice curly hair by the way :)

Carly107

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much! I will wait tell the next molt and check again i really appreciate your help

Dont look for hooks...look for emboli at the ends of the palps
Thank you very much that is very helpful with the fuzzy situation i appreciate you

The tibial hooks and emboli (bulbous tips on the pedipalps) should be immediately apparent after the male's final molt, when he reaches maturity. They do not "grow in" later.

You can see an example of the tibial hooks on B. albopilosum here: https://thingsbiological.wordpress....curly-hair-tarantula-brachypelma-albopilosum/ (scroll down to 2nd picture) The tibial hooks are only on the underside of the front pair of legs, not all of them.

The tips of the pedipalps will look more blunted and rounded, even if you can't actually see the palpal bulbs, rather than ending in the more slender, tapered "feet" of a female or juvenile tarantula: https://tomsbigspiders.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/emboli-diagram.jpg

Thank you for the amazing information its gratly appreciated hes my 1st boy whos even close to being an adult so this is new to me i turly appreciate your time you fixed my problem right up

From the looks of those photos I dont think those are sperm webs, my mature male has very obvious hooks and emboli. That's a very nice curly hair by the way :)
Thanks girl i really appreciate your help im new to adult males he will be my 1st your so sweet i find him very handsome myself i hope you have a wonderful day

Last edited by a moderator:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've never understood the fascination with tibial hooks. Not all species of tarantula have them, and they can be easy to miss. The emboli, however, are present in all species of tarantula (all species of spider, for that matter). On top of that, you'd have to be blind to miss them. The emboli on mature males look diseased, like something went horribly wrong with their molt.