When do people generally rehouse slings?

violetsun5

Arachnopeon
I just bought my first sling--a half inch OBT sling--that is in a little medicine bottle looking thing. It ate for me first night and is settling well, but I know these guys grow fast. When do people generally rehouse their slings?

I know this question has probably been asked a billion times but am looking for any tips and tricks anyone has. I do own other OWs, but as I said this is my first sling.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
If they keep escaping when you feed them or maintain the enclosure or when they get defensive because it's open, it's time for more hiding places and more real estate.

As long as they can hunt, drink, molt and not become disorientated, the cage isn't too big. For aggressive ones, minimize rehousing because that's when disasters tend to occur.

Do minimize any fall distance to a safe height by controlling substrate level.

The criteria for cage size is your tarantula and it's needs, not some mindless leg span X other number or others opinions.

violetsun5

Arachnopeon
Thanks @Whitelightning777! He ate last night without a lot of fuss, there isn't a lot of places for him to hide but I'll just leave him be, he didn't do anything when I cracked the container to feed.

Joogvanhedel

Arachnoknight
I have 8 obt slings and juvi's, and they do just fine in a "big" encloser. There food drive is awesome, this is why i give them a big encloser, and it works fine..

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
I have a sub-1” L. Parahybana that may end up skipping from a 1 3/4” round to a 4” square because she seems to be well in command of her surroundings.

I have two 1/2” at home in 2 1/4” square with some space taken up with moss.

cold blood

Staff member
I know this question has probably been asked a billion times but am looking for any tips and tricks anyone has. I do own other OWs, but as I said this is my first sling.

Like viper said...its no different from any t...you re-house when it out grows its enclosure.

That said, because of their excessive webbing, speed and feeding response, you can and IMO, should really house them in something larger than you would think, even as slings.

I start them right in a 16oz deli cup...burrowing space and many plants for anchor points...a hide works, but they tend to web them up and create their own tunnel system.....like the hide, water dishes get webbed up pretty good...I use them as long as I can, but I generally give up at some point when things get too out of hand from a web standpoint. I keep them in this till about 2" or so, then I put them in a 32oz deli cup with significantly deeper sub as well as more space up top...by 3.5" they go into a larger juvie enclosure.

It doesn't take long, they grow really fast....I try to slow this with less feedings, but they still grow pretty quick.