When do Green Bottle Blue's become 'fully' blue?

Comemeism

Arachnopeon
My GBB is around 1-1.5 inches now, I got it back in May as a 1/2 inch. When do their legs become fully blue? Does anyone have any images of their GBB growing up and their legs totally blue? Thanks :)

Deeser

Arachnosquire
Here is my (suspected) male GBB at about 3.5". He just got his blue legs this past moult, about 2 weeks before that pic was taken.
Carapace is now something between gold and green, and next moult he should green up completely I believe.
FB_IMG_1505502027126.jpg
And there he is as a 1.5" sling :D
FB_IMG_1505091509745.jpg

Deeser

Arachnosquire
Oh yeah, and by the way, it only took like 6 months between the sling pic and most recent one. These guys grow fast, so you won't have to wait long :)

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I
Here is my (suspected) male GBB at about 3.5". He just got his blue legs this past moult, about 2 weeks before that pic was taken.
Carapace is now something between gold and green, and next moult he should green up completely I believe.
View attachment 252155
And there he is as a 1.5" sling :D
View attachment 252156
I think I could do with a torch to really appreciate the colours of mine , went to a shoe last weekend , and it wasn't till a guy used a small lamp that I could actually see the colours of the Ts he had for sale !

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I think I could do with a torch , I'm not really seeing the colours . Went to a show last Sunday and I guy was using a small lamp to show the colours to me , you couldn't really see them otherwise!

Deeser

Arachnosquire
Very true.

I just took a pic in normal daylight to show the comparison and while you can still see some blue, its not nearly as remarkable.
20170915_153758~2.jpg

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I think mine must have seen me writing on here moaning about the fact that their always hiding away , cuz in the last three weeks they've been out on show nearly everyday !

maggiefiasco

Arachnosquire
I just picked up a 1.5-2" GBB who had a fresh molt still in its deli cup. During rehousing, I took a flashlight to the underside as she clung to the top of the enclosure. The tops of her legs are not crazy blue yet, but the undersides especially when well lit with a torch are just brilliant blue!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My GBB is around 1-1.5 inches now, I got it back in May as a 1/2 inch. When do their legs become fully blue? Does anyone have any images of their GBB growing up and their legs totally blue? Thanks :)
Here is my male Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens at 0.75" (when I first got him).

After two molts, he was 2.25", and his lower legs started to turn blue.

Here he is one molt after that at 2.75".

And here is how he looks (one molt later) at 3". His carapace is starting to turn turquoise.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
I have one year old GBB, and pictures of it after every moult, this may be helpful for you;)

First moult 09-11-16

19-12-16 l2

29-01-17 l3

28-3-17 l4

18-5-17 l5

08-7-17 l6

Last edited:

maggiefiasco

Arachnosquire
Update: it's light outside and I managed to get a good shot of my GBB. She's molted within the past week or so and she had a big meal last night so she's just gorggggg right now

Haemus

Arachnosquire
GBBs are definitely easy on the eyes. My 2.75" still quite green with muted coloring, but beautiful nonetheless.

Capture.JPG

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I honestly have the ugliest GBB I've ever seen 4 1/2 inches and freshly molted still very muted coloration hardly any blue or green at all. It's so disappointing!

Lord Mort

Arachnopeon
Apologies for the "necro-posting" but I was just researching the subject and this is the only discussion I have found on the matter...
Like Blue Jaye, I have a >4" GBB with very muted coloration.

I have a few questions...
1) Could diet or habitat effect the coloring?
2) @ Comemeism (the O.P.) how is your GBB doing? Did it ever color up?
3) @ Blue Jaye, same question.

I'm new to the hobby as I just inherited this GBB a few weeks ago. Despite his lack of coloring, I'm in love.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Apologies for the "necro-posting" but I was just researching the subject and this is the only discussion I have found on the matter...
Like Blue Jaye, I have a >4" GBB with very muted coloration.

I have a few questions...
1) Could diet or habitat effect the coloring?
2) @ Comemeism (the O.P.) how is your GBB doing? Did it ever color up?
3) @ Blue Jaye, same question.

I'm new to the hobby as I just inherited this GBB a few weeks ago. Despite his lack of coloring, I'm in love.
Perhaps a wild diet vs one in captivity may show changes. However no captive diet is believed to significantly influence color to best of my knowledge. Also their color doesn’t come from pigments so less likely that diet is a factor.

Habitat- captives - no.