whats your substrate

Andy00

Arachnoknight
Peat has its good qualities...unfortunately its dusty nature negatively effects my athsma....the stuff makes me miserable for a day or 2 when i work with it.

Get done working with a lot of it and blow your nose....looks like i was in a coal mine all day.
I agree... that happened to me recently haha. Luckily it doesn't effect me that bad and I like it a lot more compared to Eco earth and top soil. It still definitely gets on my nerves every now and then

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Eco earth mixed with a small amount of desert sand. Maintains moisture like nothing else.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I don't know the scientific name its referred by, but trees grow extremely well in it. As does grass, flowers, fruit bushes........... :rolleyes:
Just Googled it... apparently its..... soil! :astonished:
I use the additive and pesticide free type. About $1.50 for a 40 lb. bag at the local DIY center. Come springtime its only $.99 on sale. :)

Coconana

Arachnosquire
I personally use a mixture of cocofiber (bricks) and vermiculite, but if I have organic potting soil, I'll throw some in as well. With the species I keep that require a bit more humidity, or for small slings, I'll throw in a bit of moss.

I'm not fond of straight cocofiber.. It doesn't clump very well and collapses easily when dry. Vermiculite and potting soil help to give it better structure, from what I've noticed :)

tAngents

Arachnopeon
I'm new to Ts and am currently using the Eco Earth cocofibers (the bagged variety) for my G. "Northern Type". Sometimes I wonder if she likes it though. She hardly ever gets down on it and prefers to stay on top of her wood cave. The pet store I bought her at had her on some sort of bark chips or something, which she didn't seem to mind but I read they sometimes like to dig around in the cocofiber. I have it packed down sort of tight because I read they don't like it loose.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'm new to Ts and am currently using the Eco Earth cocofibers (the bagged variety) for my G. "Northern Type". Sometimes I wonder if she likes it though. She hardly ever gets down on it and prefers to stay on top of her wood cave. The pet store I bought her at had her on some sort of bark chips or something, which she didn't seem to mind but I read they sometimes like to dig around in the cocofiber. I have it packed down sort of tight because I read they don't like it loose.
Is the coco fiber moist? If so, let it dry out and see if she comes down more.

I would never house my tarantulas on wood chips, because they are hard and jagged (and who knows what kind of wood it is).

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
8 parts eco coco fiber, 1 part sand 1 part topsoil, patted down hard for burrowers

The secret ingredient is powdered unicorn horn

user 666

Arachnobaron
Why is everyone wasting unicorn horn on tarantula substrate? Don't you know what that stuff is worth on the black market?

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
Why is everyone wasting unicorn horn on tarantula substrate? Don't you know what that stuff is worth on the black market?
My unicorn farm is to supply my hobby tarantula substrates, not make money. Jeez, some people.

cold blood

Staff member
8 parts eco coco fiber, 1 part sand 1 part topsoil, patted down hard for burrowers

The secret ingredient is powdered unicorn horn
Generally if you press down [just] topsoil it turns practically to concrete...adding sand is a good measure to prevent this.....or maybe its the unicorn horn...that's some good stuff....almost magical.:astonished::astonished:

ps. I know you weren't using just topsoil, but only a small quantity of it.:D

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Good ol' Eco Earth! I buy in bulk and use it for ALL my animals. I have a 3.5 foot Argus Monitor who lives on the stuff. So I'll get about 25 blocks at a time. I mostly use it for convenience (since I always have it), but also because it's clean and safe. It has the consistency of dirt without actually BEING dirt:)

tAngents

Arachnopeon
Is the coco fiber moist? If so, let it dry out and see if she comes down more.

I would never house my tarantulas on wood chips, because they are hard and jagged (and who knows what kind of wood it is).
Nope, it's bone dry. I think what they were using at the store was Repti Bark or something. She's probably just adjusting to her new tank in general.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Nope, it's bone dry. I think what they were using at the store was Repti Bark or something. She's probably just adjusting to her new tank in general.
There's a chance the store may have been using cypress mulch. I've experienced different consistencies of cypress mulch from years of keeping reptiles. Depending on how course or fine it's ground, it can pretty much become a pile of wood chips when it's dry. Splinters and all:dead:

There may not necessarily be a specific reason why a tarantula sits in a particular place. She may just be on the wood because it's comfy. And hey, be glad she's out and showing herself to you:) I have Ts that hide so much that I might as well have nothing in the enclosure:banghead:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I guess I will be considering a mixture of a couple different substrates going forward. I don't know if this is only related only to my latest bag of Eco Earth coco fiber or what, but I was trying to moisten the substrate last night for a new housing and the water was just puddling up on top of the substrate like a lake. I don't remember this type of problem in the past. When it does this for a 1/4" sling it isn't a good thing.

EDIT* Maybe that water I am using isn't 100% humid :wacky:

Last edited: