What's YOUR largest Scolopendra sp.?

Xenomorph

Arachnosquire
Both are stunned CO² :) Sex determination in any fair and I photograph the animals closely.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
{D Today a local guy told me he has seen 15 inch Scolopendra heros out in the desert. {D

I will keep you posted.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Man!Seeing these pictures makes me want to get back into centipedes!The reason I got out is because I can't find the species I want for sale like Scolopendra Heros heros,S.h.arizonensis,S.h.castaniceps,and S.dehanni of decent sizes.They are really cool though!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i have a S. subspinipes vietnamese, thats 9", and the end of this year i will be getting a Scolopendra gigantea

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
oh yeah me too...was hoping to get a black morph, but might end up having to settle for white legged morph, just got in my first camel spider today...so thats good

Sweet. A Scolopendra gigantea. Can't wait for pictures.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh yeah me too...was hoping to get a black morph, but might end up having to settle for white legged morph, just got in my first camel spider today...so thats good
Yes, that is good! I would love to know how it goes. I have heard minimal feeding is the key to longevity in captivity. We have a lot around here.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yea i have heard that too, i am going to feed him 1 cricket every week or maybe sometimes week and a half....well since you got all them around there how about rounding me some up, and ill pay for shipping, and sometimes i might have some things to trade ya for them...

Yes, that is good! I would love to know how it goes. I have heard minimal feeding is the key to longevity in captivity. We have a lot around here.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
{D Today a local guy told me he has seen 15 inch Scolopendra heros out in the desert. {D

I will keep you posted.
OK. I talked to him yesterday again and he said he sees mainly 6-8 inch Scolopendra heros. He said he has seen a few that were 8-10 and he has seen one that was 12 inches long. He said with the antennas and terminal legs it was 14-15. He is out in the desert a lot and he is knowledgeable about arthropods but I am not sure if he is prone to exaggeration.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well if you would be interested in hooking me up with a couple big ones, id be interested

OK. I talked to him yesterday again and he said he sees mainly 6-8 inch Scolopendra heros. He said he has seen a few that were 8-10 and he has seen one that was 12 inches long. He said with the antennas and terminal legs it was 14-15. He is out in the desert a lot and he is knowledgeable about arthropods but I am not sure if he is prone to exaggeration.

terancheped42

Arachnosquire
i have an asian giant pede almost 11'' sorry iwould love to post pics but every time hes out i go run for the camera and when i com back hes hiding and hes exstreamly aggresive :evil: {D

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
What species of Scutigera is that????????? and is it available in the US hobby yet? and how much?

Heres one of my De Haani Vietnamese, my larger one. This pic is some months old but shes 8" without terminals or antennae.

Not a scolopendra but with legs its over 12"

terancheped42

Arachnosquire
this is my mine hes 11'' (i dosent look like it in the pic but he is) he was sold as an asian giant but i dont trust thats what it is if u can help me ID it that be great but any ways heres my big guy

for some reasone its not letting me add a photo?

Samuel

Arachnopeon
this is my mine hes 11'' (i dosent look like it in the pic but he is) he was sold as an asian giant but i dont trust thats what it is if u can help me ID it that be great but any ways heres my big guy

for some reasone its not letting me add a photo?
S v.jpg DSC01697 2.jpg espiraculo.jpg

Scolopendra viridicornis 28 cm.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow Samuel, that viridicornis is very interesting, esp. compared to pics of so claimed other viridicornis I've seen, looks so much like recent galapagoensis pics I've seen. The last tergite ridge is there though. I really want to believe it's around 28cm, but I will have to see it next to a ruler to believe it.

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
Wow the terminal legs on the viridicornis is freaking amazing! I have a question, that ridge on its last tergite is only present in viridicornis, but my galapagoensis at 4i has a ridge at its last tergite too. Does it go away or is mine a viridicornis?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You have to post pics of that one Henderson, people are wondering, just as they are wondering about the 28cm claim. Also my immediate assumption was that that pede lost both it's terminals at some point, at the same time, and regenerated those smaller ones it has there. After seeing those pics, I'm also having doubts about how reliable that ridge is in determining the ID between those two, is it 100% reliable? Sure makes me wonder. I've seen a gradient in the prominence of that ridge in pics and bad vids, hard to tell though.

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
You have to post pics of that one Henderson, people are wondering, just as they are wondering about the 28cm claim. Also my immediate assumption was that that pede lost both it's terminals at some point, at the same time, and regenerated those smaller ones it has there. After seeing those pics, I'm also having doubts about how reliable that ridge is in determining the ID between those two, is it 100% reliable? Sure makes me wonder. I've seen a gradient in the prominence of that ridge in pics and bad vids, hard to tell though.
Aren't viridicornis more widespread? Funny, Turgut's key makes no mention, unless I missed it, of that spine on the 21st tergite, but I recall Steven saying in a thread that that is the only character separating the two. Yet, the key shows differently: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?169763-English-key-for-genus-Scolopendra

Hendersonia, you feel like breaking out the magnification and hunting for tiny characters, lol?