Resolved What's wrong with the alerts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boina

Lady of the mites
For some reason the alerts work very erratic for me. I don't mind not getting alerts for people liking or disliking my posts, but I don't seem to get regular alerts for people tagging me in a post, like people wanting to ask me a question and I don't see it unless I come across the post by pure chance. Sometimes I get the alert, but at least in half of the cases I don't.

Furthermore I can't auto-fill in tags anymore. I have to type out the name of the person I want to tag in full myself and can't just chose from a list of suggestions anymore. The list is there, I just can't click on it.

This started when I switched to Windows 10. I use Firefox as a browser.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to do something different? Are my settings somehow wrong? What can I do to at least get an alert when someone is tagging me?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Check your Alert Preferences to make sure you're getting the alerts you want.

For some reason the alerts work very erratic for me. I don't mind not getting alerts for people liking or disliking my posts, but I don't seem to get regular alerts for people tagging me in a post, like people wanting to ask me a question and I don't see it unless I come across the post by pure chance.
The only time I've seen that happen is when a person attempts to tag in the description of a photo (as opposed to the comment section). Do you have any other examples?

Furthermore I can't auto-fill in tags anymore. I have to type out the name of the person I want to tag in full myself and can't just chose from a list of suggestions anymore. The list is there, I just can't click on it.
Are you running any add-ons that block scripts? Any add-ons that magnify pages?

boina

Lady of the mites
Check your Alert Preferences to make sure you're getting the alerts you want.

The only time I've seen that happen is when a person attempts to tag in the description of a photo (as opposed to the comment section). Do you have any other examples?

Are you running any add-ons that block scripts? Any add-ons that magnify pages?
My alert preferences are ok - I get some alerts and some I don't that would be covered by exactly the same preferences.

The last alert I don't get was this http://arachnoboards.com/gallery/m-balfouri-1-2.55946/#comment-83585

And I don't think I have any add-ons of the kind but I'll get my brother in law to check for me to make sure I didn't miss anything (he works in IT).

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I've been noticing server lag. Notifications, program cleanup duties and so forth have been slow in coming. Can't tell if it's the program or the server itself.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Did it show up eventually (delayed), or is it still absent from your alerts?
Prob want to bring this to Mr D's attention just to be safe. Missing in actions could be DB corruption. Blame it on @boina 's penchant for posting Escher-esque geometric impossibilities in the gallery. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I can't tag anyone either lately. I can type out name, see the box with name pop up below but be unable to select it when clicking.

[I also have tried unsuccessfully to add pictures to my posts -- only 1 pix attempted actually posted (and yes, my pix were under size limit). I even tried adding my pix to my gallery and had no luck (a work-around attempt so I could just link to them in my post). I see many pix posted here -- so others don't seem to be having this issue]

I've been blaming my browser (Opera) -- I am guessing I've had these issues under 10 days.

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
I can't tag anyone either lately. I can type out name, see the box with name pop up below but be unable to select it when clicking.

[I also have tried unsuccessfully to add pictures to my posts -- only 1 pix attempted actually posted (and yes, my pix were under size limit). I even tried adding my pix to my gallery and had no luck (a work-around attempt so I could just link to them in my post). I see many pix posted here -- so others don't seem to be having this issue]

I've been blaming my browser (Opera) -- I am guessing I've had these issues under 10 days.
Have you tried a different browser? Does it give you the same issue? Also, have you tried clearing your cookies and cache?

Debby

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Have you tried a different browser? Does it give you the same issue? Also, have you tried clearing your cookies and cache?

Debby
Thank you for responding -- yes, I used another browser to upload my pix and that's how I finally got it posted.

Not sure of a solution yet for tagging people though.

I know I am going to have to give up Linux Opera one day but I am just so very attached to it.... :arghh:

Status
Not open for further replies.