1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's wrong with my tarantula?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by SaraSpider, Feb 8, 2018.

1. SaraSpider

SaraSpider Arachnopeon

sweden
    Advertisement
    Hello, im rather "new" to the spider keeping, but my Gbb sling has molted for me 3 times now, and its been about 2 weeks after the third molt and she's been acting weird after molting, i know they lay in all sorts of weird positions.. but yesterday she ate, and today , just now i found her laying on her back, with her fangs out , i freaked out and touched the enclosure gently and she got up, but is this normal? why would she do that if shes not gonna molt, please anyone who knows tell me :( legs were kind of curled together too like when they are about to molt or , well die.

2. chanda

chanda Arachnoangel Active Member

Can you post pictures? How big is she? What is her enclosure like?

Lying on her back is a typical molting position. The dreaded "death curl" is typically upright. If your spider is in a molting position - even if it has only been a few weeks since the last molt - you should leave her alone, even though it can be a little nerve wracking. Disturbing her could be harmful.

Two weeks since her last molt does sound kind of soon - but smaller slings do molt fairly frequently, particularly if they are well-fed and kept warm, so I wouldn't rule it out. Also, even though some spiders will undergo a premolt fast, others will eat right up until they molt.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. beetleman

beetleman Arachnoking Old Timer

it's very possible that it is dehydrated,try putting is in a small container with very moist papertowel,but not soaked,don't want it to drown,the humidity will help it,and it could drink from it aswell,maybe about a day or 2 to leave it in there(small ICU) hope this helps alitte. good luck.

• Disagree Disagree x 13
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Tia B

Tia B Arachnopigeon Arachnosupporter

Arizona
    A lot of members on here don't agree with ICUs, they can be too stuffy and moving them into the ICU can be pretty stressful. GBBs don't like excess moisture but to prevent dehydration, you should provide a water dish or some other water source.

• Agree Agree x 10
  5. SaraSpider

SaraSpider Arachnopeon

sweden
    i do have a water dish tho, a very small one .. it dont make any sense, it just stays up in a corner and its been there ever since it molted, and since it fed wouldnt it be less thirsty?

6. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Is it fat? Is there a molting mat? Has it recently refused food?

I doubt it's molting. Never had a spider molt that soon after.

I'd give the cage a spray and dribble water on the fangs.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnoknight Active Member

Texas
    Dehydration was just a guess from one person, and if the spider has had access to water, it's unlikely that's the case. People will just be grasping at straws until you can post some pictures.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SaraSpider

SaraSpider Arachnopeon

sweden
    Well it seems to be fine now.. had a little bit of water and is now grooming herself,

• Like Like x 5
  9. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

This all sounds weird, be curious to see what happens on this.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. SaraSpider

SaraSpider Arachnopeon

sweden
    Yes it was very very strange, but everything seems perfectly fine now ! Im very thankful for all The help and fast replies from my first thread on this website ^^

• Like Like x 1
  11. ediblepain

ediblepain Arachnosquire

It's really hard to drown a tarantula

12. sasker

sasker Arachnobaron Active Member

C. cyaneopubescense is an arid species that does not benefit from a moist environment. Of course, slings should be kept somewhat more moist (I don't know if the OPs specimen is in fact a sling, or a juvenile without seeing pictures), but in general dehydrated tarantulas benefit from getting water inside their bodies, not outside.

13. D Sherlod

D Sherlod Arachnoknight Active Member

My Gbb doesn' like it' water dish at all ,,,,,,webs it over everytime I move it or fill it.
    But likes to get a little drink from the occasional drips I leave on the webs

14. Moakmeister

Moakmeister Arachnobaron

Texas
    Sounds like she was sleepin’ on the job :p

15. darkness975

darkness975 Dream Reaper Arachnosupporter

@SaraSpider how big is the water dish? Is it big enough to offer a decent amount of water?

Molting uses up a lot of their resources and it will need to re-hydrate afterwards.

It won't drown.