What's wrong with my new B. smithi?

Heartfang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello all! I have a bit of a problem... I think. I recently purchased (more like rescued) a B. smithi from a local pet shop shop here in Hollister, CA. Well, this B. smithi just ain't actin' right. She (confirmed female) will not move or do anything for that matter. She has been huddled in the corner of her enclosure for five days now. I tried feeding her today but just found the crickets running amuck around her enclosure a few hours later. After that I decided to try to get her to move so I prodded her with some forceps. No response. Prodded her again, no response. Prodded her one more time, she finally moved an inch. I decided to inspect her to see if she had any physical problems. I managed to get her to move onto my hand but she was very slow about it. Upon inspection, I found that her spinneretts were small and thin and one of them looked like it was cut in half. Besides that, no other problems. My two questions are as follows :

Will it take longer than five days for her to get used to her new enclosure and lifestyle?

-and-

Do B. smithi's have relatively small spinerettes compared to other T's or is there something wrong with hers?

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not sure about the spinnerettes.
But if she was a rescue she may have been chronically without water.
I would take measures to ensure she is well hydrated right away.

Additionally, she could be pre-molt. Is there a bald spot that allows you to see any darkening?

Heartfang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My first thought was that she was dehydrated because they had a bone dry sponge in her enclosure. I made sure to give her a water bowl full of delicious water when I got home, so unless she hasn't found it yet, which I highly doubt, then I don't think that's the problem. She did kick some hair when the pet shop lady put her into a little carry-along cup, but all I see is pink skin. No signs of darkening at all. I guess only time will tell if all is well. Damn my poetic side!

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Heartfang said:
My two questions are as follows :

Will it take longer than five days for her to get used to her new enclosure and lifestyle?

-and-

Do B. smithi's have relatively small spinerettes compared to other T's or is there something wrong with hers?
If you keep on stressing the T by prodding, picking it up, and having crix running around it, I'd say yes...it will take more than five days. How big is (s)he? What size of enclosure? Make sure it's dry and warmish, and make sure the water is close by. If only pink skin is visible, then no molt is immanent.

As to the spinnerets, my 2.75" girlie's are very small, and seldom used.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is she is/was severely dehydrated, she may not find the water. In cases like that, it is best to place them next to the water. If they are so severely dehydrated that they are weak, it is even advisalble to actually place her mouth in the water.

Now, I have found that my various Brachypelmas all become very sluggish right before a molt. So, it is also quite possible that she is going to molt soon. Best advise, like Keith suggested, is to leave her alone. Give her some time. Even extremely healthy Brachypelmas are not that active.

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
If she is that dehydrated you may even consider an ICU system to help rehydrate her, just a suggestion.

Heartfang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
keithaddison said:
If you keep on stressing the T by prodding, picking it up, and having crix running around it, I'd say yes...it will take more than five days. How big is (s)he? What size of enclosure? Make sure it's dry and warmish, and make sure the water is close by. If only pink skin is visible, then no molt is immanent.

As to the spinnerets, my 2.75" girlie's are very small, and seldom used.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Don't take it the wrong way! I tried to get her to move after 5 days of her NOT moving. She is about 5 inches.

Heartfang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
Is she is/was severely dehydrated, she may not find the water. In cases like that, it is best to place them next to the water. If they are so severely dehydrated that they are weak, it is even advisalble to actually place her mouth in the water.

Now, I have found that my various Brachypelmas all become very sluggish right before a molt. So, it is also quite possible that she is going to molt soon. Best advise, like Keith suggested, is to leave her alone. Give her some time. Even extremely healthy Brachypelmas are not that active.
There is no way she coudn't have found the water dish because she is sitting right next to it. She did move a little bit since yesterday. It now looks as though she might have taken a drink because she is now facing the water dish and is sitting closer to it.

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
She is most likely dehydrated, weak, perhaps ill with gawd knows what. On top of that she has the stress of being moved. Maybe the ICU for a few days is a good idea.

Heartfang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks everyone. I have decided to go with the ICU idea and keep her in that for a couple days. Thanks again!

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Heartfang said:
She is about 5 inches.
Wow...she's a big girl then. here's hoping that the ICU works out. Let us know how you get on. smithi's are real beauts.