What's wrong with my centipede?

Aidan Wellstood

Arachnopeon
So around July I purchased a Giant Vietnamese Centipede and up until a month ago, he's been doing pretty good. He's recently gotten 'tired' from what I see, not moving as much or as fast, never trying to dig and just hides 99% of the day without movement. His antenna got darker and thinner near the tips and his segments got rigid. Last night I noticed what I thought to be mites but I think are just springtails, but just to be sure I'm quarantining him in a separate container. I noticed not even an hour ago he had an odd something sticking out of his side. (First Image) Right after that I found a hole, right above the thing sticking out of him (Second Image) and it's shaped like the hole I assume the thing sticking out of him is making. I mist his enclosure every other day with the humidity staying a constant 70-80% with the temp being 75-82° all roumd. Anyone have any idea what's on him or what's happening in general? 20181231_153631.jpg 20181231_153654.jpg

NYAN

Arachnoking
It looks like something is up with the spirical for sure. That’s really strange.

Actually, it looks a lot like a piece of substrate is just stuck on.

The hiding behavior is perfectly normal for them. What does the setup look like?

You don’t need to measure heat or humidity. Keep it room temperature and with moist substrate. Don’t mist to achieve this also. Just pour water into them substrste. Is it eating?

Last edited:

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Sometimes this just happens, especially given the fact that the massive majority of centipedes in the hobby are wild caught.
However, in future, just follow the advice given above. Good luck!

Aidan Wellstood

Arachnopeon
It looks like something is up with the spirical for sure. That’s really strange.

Actually, it looks a lot like a piece of substrate is just stuck on.

The hiding behavior is perfectly normal for them. What does the setup look like?

You don’t need to measure heat or humidity. Keep it room temperature and with moist substrate. Don’t mist to achieve this also. Just pour water into them substrste. Is it eating?
Yeah, he's eating fine. I feed him 10 medium/large crickets once a week and he takes all of them within a day or two

NYAN

Arachnoking
Yeah, he's eating fine. I feed him 10 medium/large crickets once a week and he takes all of them within a day or two

That’s WAY too many. I feed mine 1-2 large crickets in that time and sometimes a large roach instead. Your pede may be in premolt right now because of all that feeding.

Salvador

Arachnosquire
This looks very similar to a retained spiracle lining during moulting (here is a pic of my S.multidens, which had several of these after a failed moult, it did not survive) . If the centipede is acting normally, then I wouldn't worry to much until the next shed, in case it causes further problems.

Attachments