Problem Whats with all the spam threads?? Can't you block the IP address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
Every time I get on here is more and more. Its all different user names, but it can't be all different people. Anyway to block the IP address?

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
An IP address is remarkably easy to change or obscure. Trying to fight spam via IP address blacklists would be tedious and fruitless.

Possibly some sort of recaptcha during the registration process, or having first 1-3 forum posts hidden until moderator/staff approval would be a reasonable solution.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
@viper69 and myself had already posted about this. Seems to be an explosion of spam threads since last time the site was down.

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
Spam threads have been hitting a couple other forums I visit regularly. Seems as soon as a solution to block them is found, they find a way to beat it lol

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
or having first 1-3 forum posts hidden until moderator/staff approval would be a reasonable solution.
For many forums this might work.
But here -- we sometimes get a first post from a scared newbie with a T disaster (or imagined disaster) and we want that post available asap.
Even if the disaster isn't real, we might be able to prevent a T being flipped during moult or placed in icu.

[OP: Not that the mods need our assistance, but this should have gone in Troubleshooting/Suggestions instead of T-Chat.]

WoofSpider

Arachnosquire
An IP address is remarkably easy to change or obscure. Trying to fight spam via IP address blacklists would be tedious and fruitless.

Possibly some sort of recaptcha during the registration process, or having first 1-3 forum posts hidden until moderator/staff approval would be a reasonable solution.
There is a recaptcha as part of the registration process. Spambots have figured out how to beat it somehow.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I just made myself a nice little game of reporting the threads with a portmanteau involving the word "Spam" as the reason.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Today has certainly been bad for it. Counted 13 spam thread so far

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
But here -- we sometimes get a first post from a scared newbie with a T disaster (or imagined disaster) and we want that post available asap.
Yes, this is a good point. Perhaps it would be better to simply limit the posting of URLs or images in the first post, until the account is 'verified' by an admin.

There is a recaptcha as part of the registration process. Spambots have figured out how to beat it somehow.
Yes, recaptcha is definitely not 100%, but combined with other anti-spam methods it can be useful. I registered so recently as well, but I don't recall that part of the process. I guess this is what old age feels like...

I was mainly tossing out some suggestions off the top of my head, similar to what @Venom1080 was doing. We all want a spam-free experience, but the offending posts have been removed pretty promptly (they're usually late at night in the Pacific timezone, and gone in the morning). Users elsewhere in the world will have a different experience, of course.

WoofSpider

Arachnosquire
Yes, this is a good point. Perhaps it would be better to simply limit the posting of URLs or images in the first post, until the account is 'verified' by an admin.

Yes, recaptcha is definitely not 100%, but combined with other anti-spam methods it can be useful. I registered so recently as well, but I don't recall that part of the process. I guess this is what old age feels like...

I was mainly tossing out some suggestions off the top of my head, similar to what @Venom1080 was doing. We all want a spam-free experience, but the offending posts have been removed pretty promptly (they're usually late at night in the Pacific timezone, and gone in the morning). Users elsewhere in the world will have a different experience, of course.
upload_2017-10-11_14-22-6.png

Attachments

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Haha, thanks. I believed you, I was just marveling at the fact that I didn't recall the step since I'd completed registration fairly recently. I would not have mentioned it as a solution had I remembered doing it.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor

I'm assuming you're just being sarcastic. Hard to tell in writing. ;)

I think blocking the first few responses of a thread is a terrible idea. Not to mention it's extremely annoying for mods, but also a pain if the OP needs help asap.

Blocking the whole thread till approved is also bad, for the same reasons.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Not being sarcastic, no. Not every new member is combative. ;)

I agreed with @Ellenantula regarding holding first posts, but is it required to create a post with a URL to an external site when you are a new member asking for help? I modified my suggestion, forum software permitting, to only hold first posts when a URL to an external site is included.

Again, just making suggestions to potentially assist with a problem that impacts us all, similar to your original post. We're working towards the same goal.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Thanks everyone for your patience while we deal with the spam and for reporting it when you see it. Your concern and suggestions are also appreciated.

I also want to remind everyone that replying to spam posts is against the forum rules. Please do not even give it a rating of any kind.

From the site's Help/ Terms & Rules page

• Unacceptable Language and Material.
    • Spamming to advertise Arachnoboards elsewhere on the internet will not be tolerated. Nor will the posting of spam on Arachnoboards. In addition, commercial spamming and trolling will NOT be tolerated. Please realize that all the commercial spammers and trolls want is to get attention and disrupt the community. Do not give them what they want. If any member notices there is a commercial spam or troll type post, DO NOT RESPOND TO IT. Responding WILL result in a warning (with points). Just report it so we can take care of it. This will be enforced with zero tolerance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.