What's the most underrated tarantula in the hobby?

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Haplocosmia himalayana - another one that doesn't get mentioned much. Not as flashy as some of the Asian species, but I love subtle two-tone coloration. And mine at least is really laid back for a OW.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
The top species that I think are underrated...

Brachypelma albiceps - Pro: Always visible and always hungry. - Con: Slow growing.
DSC03122-2.jpg

Brachypelma klaasi - Pro: Always visible, always hungry, and large adults - Con: Cost and slow growing.
DSC05700-2.jpg

Avicularia avicularia - Pro: hardier than many other arboreal species, inexpensive, big, good appetites. - Con: none.
DSC04611-2-2.jpg

Aphonopelma chalcodes - Pro: Active, long lived, inexpensive - Con: Slow growing.
DSC01592-2.jpg
Thrixopelma ockerti - Pro: Unusual species, always visible, always hungry, gorgeous at all times. - Con: Urticating hairs and availability.
DSC01321-2-2.jpg

Neoholothe incei - Pro: Webbing, always hungry, doesn't take up much room. Con: Rarely visible.
DSC04036-2.jpg

Aphonopelma seemanni - Pro: Inexpensive, gorgeous, always hungry. Con: Not always visible.
DSC03844-2-2.jpg

And another vote for Grammostola porteri/rosea/sp Concepcion. Pro: Gorgeous, inexpensive, long lived. Con: Slow growing and fasting.
G.porteri.jpg
DSC01335-2.jpg

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
L. klugi; an LP built like an NFL nose guard. Out forever, ridiculous eater, not intimidated by jack.

ChaosSphere

Arachnosquire
It's incredible that no one ever mentioned the likes of Megaphobema robustum, Megaphobema velvetosoma
I gear you and I raise you Megaphobema mesomelas.
Why? Its an incredibly beautiful T, actually out often (it leans more towards terrerestrial than is typical of Megaphobema), mine is very well behaved - they only threatpose it has showed was to a dubia it didnt wanna eat:angelic:
Also, the slings are an amazing bluish-black!
received_254072731954872~2.jpeg received_269100870612156.jpeg

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Another vote for D.pentaloris. Striking colours, amazing appetite and webbing.

Re: H.chilensis being underrated, I don't agree with that. It's one of the most sought-after beginner species in the hobby!

ChaosSphere

Arachnosquire
I have a female coming from Fear not, but it decided to go premolt right before they shipped :banghead: They won't ship until she molts and then eats.
Typical
But they are know for being somewhat fragile, so I get it. I read that they will sit out often, especially if the terrarium is planted - so theres that!
(Dislike was for the not shipping part, not your post)

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I think pcams are my favorite. Any phormictopus is underrated. Female phormics > pamphos imo.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
In my limited time/experience and only keeping several species, these are my opinions so far..

H. Pulchripes...have only had for a couple hours but wow. Everything I’ve heard about these guys has been amazing. Not your typical baboon, chill, out in open and active. So far, mine has already dug and started webbing hide area and is sitting at front of hide waiting. Not to mention they are stunning!! Can’t wait to watch this little one grow and mature.
3400CAEF-5051-4348-8A53-66EDAA6EFC47.jpeg

#2.
D. Diamantinensis
Have only had for a few hours, however everything I’ve seen and heard about them leads me to believe they are also underrated. Time will tell for me and my own experience. No decent pics of this species yet.

I really like the Brachypelma species but again limited experience, have a non mature Albo and three Sabulosum slings. I also love Avicularia species however they are fairly common and sought after so I didn’t put on this particular thread. However the aforementioned species take the cake for me so far. Just thought I’d put my own two cents out there in case someone is looking for that next addition.

Last edited:

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think Chaetopelma olivaceum is very underrated! Nice looking black (after molt) to brownish-gold, easy to care for, entertaining attitude, yet hardly photographed, and doesn't seem to be in many collections, despite being available. I would have named this species Psychopelma spazzi...

Others mentioned already that I totally agree with are B. vagans and B. albopilosum (Honduran), regardless of experience, everyone should have at least 3-5 of each of those.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I don't think that Harpactira pulchripes is underrated at all. I think that the price is the only factor preventing more people from having them. They are very popular and are always high on the list of first OW species recommendations.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
I don't think that Harpactira pulchripes is underrated at all. I think that the price is the only factor preventing more people from having them. They are very popular and are always high on the list of first OW species recommendations.
Somehow availability makes them not underrated? Underrated has nothing to do with being rare or not.

If that’s the case then all the really popular Brachypelma species that are mentioned constantly boulder be considered?

Just a thought.

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Somehow availability makes them not underrated? Underrated has nothing to do with being rare or not.

If that’s the case then all the really popular Brachypelma species that are mentioned constantly boulder be considered?

Just a thought.
No, it's not about availability, but they are very popular and sought after. Someone would even say that they are overrated, especially compared to other members of the genus.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Just a thought.
Where did I mention that they were rare, or not? I didn't say anything about availability - I only mentioned price. They are almost always available in Canada, but the $75-$100 price tag turns away a lot of people who can get countless other African species for less than $25.
They are one of the top OW species and are recommended consistently. If anything, they are overrated due to the fact that there are many, many gorgeous African species that people overlook that cost a fraction of the price.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
Very well! Didn’t know they were that popular yet. Not trying to argue. Just clarifying what was meant. All good.

I’ll still stand by my mention of Brachypelma species and Avicularia Avicularia species that are highly sought after and kept that are continually mentioned here....I wouldn’t think they are underrated being that everyone has them as well? But since you mentioned many readily available and highly kept species as underrated it’s different I guess?

To each their own right?!

Where did I mention that they were rare, or not? I didn't say anything about availability - I only mentioned price. They are almost always available in Canada, but the $75-$100 price tag turns away a lot of people who can get countless other African species for less than $25.
They are one of the top OW species and are recommended consistently. If anything, they are overrated due to the fact that there are many, many gorgeous African species that people overlook that cost a fraction of the price.
What OW African species would you recommend that are underrated? Are they just as chill, and out and about? Any of them in the Harpactira Spp.?

Last edited by a moderator:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I’ll still stand by my mention of Brachypelma species and Avicularia Avicularia species that are highly sought after and kept that are continually mentioned here....I wouldn’t think they are underrated being that everyone has them as well? But since you mentioned many readily available and highly kept species as underrated it’s different I guess?
Well...... A. avics and B. albos are constantly being sold, but just because they are super easy to find and afford doesn't mean people want them. If you go to any shows, those two are 100% of the time the species being sold. But I can garuntee you that almost no one will buy them at the end of the day. People don't wan't beginner T.'s, they want cool looking T.'s instead. Why do you think people that are noobs have P. metallica's at the end of the day and not a B. albo or A. avic? A sad truth not much people admit.

What OW African species would you recommend that are underrated? Are they just as chill, and out and about? Any of them in the Harpactira Spp.?
Almost all African OW T.'s are pet holes, even the Harapactira genus are mostly pet holes. I mean they do tend to come out here and there, but they are burrowers whether they are opportunistic or obligate burrowers.

If I can pinpoint a OW African species that is underrated, I pick the A. ezendami. These guys are pet holes, but mines come out at night and they are beautiful T.'s in general.

@cold blood hate to say it, but the female I bred with your male looks to be molting soon, so no eggsac. :rolleyes: Time to find another male soon...

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
We're not talking about temperament, we're talking about underrated. Again, this isn't about cost, temperament, hardiness, or availability - it's about whether the species is constantly overlooked when it has just as much to offer as their far more popular cousins.
A few African species that immediately come to mind when I think of being underrated...
Pterinochilus lugardi
Harpactira cafreriana
Augacephalus ezendami
Idiothele mira

docwade87

Arachnoknight
We're not talking about temperament, we're talking about underrated. Again, this isn't about cost, temperament, hardiness, or availability - it's about whether the species is constantly overlooked when it has just as much to offer as their far more popular cousins.
A few African species that immediately come to mind when I think of being underrated...
Pterinochilus lugardi
Harpactira cafreriana
Augacephalus ezendami
Idiothele mira

I’m not disagreeing with you, however these spiders that you feel are overlooked have specific qualities that you say we’re not bringing into it that make them underrated to you, otherwise they wouldn’t be mentioned. Something having significant rating requires each person’s own beliefs of individual spiders characters tied into it. Whether it be cost, temperament, color, attractiveness, availability, fossorial, webbers, etc...it’s to each persons own beliefs. So yes we are talking about temperament, hardiness, availability as you mentioned we weren’t.

Why are those OW species you mention underrated in your opinion? What do they have to offer that makes them underrated to you other than they are overlooked...

Keep in mind this is all very subjective and every one person has their own beliefs. Not trying to argue once again, but someone appears to be slightly agitated when I’m just trying to clarify why something is or isn’t underrated and what goes into making them that for each individual person.

I’m fairly confident you will speak of something of the sort like I mentioned above as to why you personally think they are underrated.

If you go through this post even back to the very first OP, the member speaks of why they think a particular species they mentioned is underrated...what do you know, they speak of color, attractiveness to that person, temperament etc. ...

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@docwade87

H.pulchripes are great, the only thing not so great is their price, considering that this species isn't exactly difficult to breed.

That's why I call H.pulchripes the rich cousin of the P.murinus :pompous:

:kiss: