What's the most underrated tarantula in the hobby?

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'd put forward Theraphosa sp.

"They're just big brown tarantulas".

Massive chocolate brown velvet tarantulas.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Most of these are very popular as is.. to me, a underrated species has to be something readily available yet rare in collections.

I present Iridopelma hirsutum. The Amazon ribbed tree spider
IMG_20190111_070312_639.jpg

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
When certain tarantulas are offered as freebies, I say that tarantulas are most likely be very underrated.

Below are the tarantulas I was offered as freebies at least once or more:

• Acanthoscurria geniculata
• Avicularia avicularia
• Brachypelma albopilosum
• Brachypelma vagans
• Bumba cabocla
• Neoholothele incei
• Phormictopus cancerides
• Psalmopoeus cambridgei
• Pterinochilus murinus

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Pretty much any Aussie T since they aren't readily available and most people that do know about them think of them as brown and boring.
I present Selenotypus sp. "Champagne Robustus", the Eclipse Tarantula as I like to call them.

A really unique genus with little hair on legs 1-4 and lots of hair on legs 5-8. This is probably the only genus I'd label as truely Australian since they are endemic to here and look alot different to our other ones

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Another species that I think is underrated is the one and only B. schroederi, yeah I know they are rare, another black tarantula, so what? They are the best eaters as far as tarantulas are concerned, all other species are pitiful come feeding time. Many say that this species is docile, I respectfully disagree.

20181002_231349.jpg

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Okay now to get controversial. My pick, Orphnaecus philippinus, is clearly winning this thread. Why? Because the species many of you mentioned are talked about constantly here. A species that is being mentioned (and championed) constantly really can't be considered underrated. Otherwise I would have picked Lp's. Meanwhile my pick got one like ,and I'm not sure if the like was for the species or the thread, so therefore O. philippinus is the most underrated :smug:;)

In case you're wondering which species I'm talking about:
G. rosea/porteri, Brachypelma albopilosum, Neoholothele incei, Pterinochilus murinus.
(I almost added Psalmopoeus cambridgei, but since it generally gets less attention than other Psalmopoeus I let it go)

Before I get attacked, I think all the species mention above are fine, in fact I either own or plan on owning all of them, but I just can't see them as underrated. When I started this thread I went through my collection and tried to think of not of necessarily my favorites, but the ones who I just never hear much about but were a joy to own. Orphnaecus philippinus was my obvious choice.

Now, flame away :angelic:

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Blue fangs amd aphonopelmas. Blue fangs are only populr as slings and seem to disappear as soon as they hit maturity. Aphonopelmas are recommended for beginners and once they seem to get the hang of them that’s it. Docile and not that visually appealing to some but beauty’s in the eye of rhe beholder, although i wish that these’d become more popular.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I almost added Psalmopoeus cambridgei, but since it generally gets less attention than other Psalmopoeus I let it go
They're the most gassed up member of the genus on here, if someone asked what Psalmo they should get then I'd put a tenner on at least 75% of the replies being cambridgei.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
They're the most gassed up member of the genus on here, if someone asked what Psalmo they should get then I'd put a tenner on at least 75% of the replies being cambridgei.
You may be right, but I usually see most newbies talking about P. irminia, and most experienced people talking about P. pulcher, victori, etc.

Derivative

Arachnosquire
My vote goes to Pelinobius Muticus. Their slow growing old world orangish brown fossorials with an extremely defensive attitude during rehousing. Yet somehow everyone who ive seen keep them love them. Thus my vote goes to Pelinobius Muticus.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
And they can kill dogs!:dead:
Hope people understood that i was sarcastic. It says that they can kill dogs, but that is a myth! Fortunatly!

They will kill pretty much any household pet in half an hour or less if they tag one. They also allegedly have the strongest insecticidal peptide in their venom of any known spider
Whaaat!! I thought that was a myth!? Like when some people in Mexico think that B hamorii can kill horses!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
What do you think is the most underrated tarantula?

I'll go first: Orphnaecus philippinus. A unusual looking T, sort of like a giant brown recluse, except it's orange. Mild disposition and (supposedly) weak venom, It's also my choice for best first OW. It is on the small side, which is a drawback for some, but if you're looking for something different, you can't go wrong with this T.
H.maculata - as beautiful as any Pokie.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Nope, not a myth. Selenotypus and Phlogius in particular are lethal to dogs and cats
There was a veterinary report that specifically discussed dogs which were bitten by Australian tarantulas. Were cats also mentioned in that report, or in another (I think I only had limited access to the paper)? Venoms affect mammals differently, so just because it's harmful to dogs doesn't necessarily mean that cats are also at an elevated risk.